Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > More Careers
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2009, 02:41 AM   #11
arcadeninja

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Wow I didn't know something like martial arts would generate this kind of attention lol. It's just a passion of mind and it's also something I know I'll be doing for the rest of my life so I thought "eh why not throw that in there?" But I'm certainly not banking on it getting me anywhere in the industry on it's own.

Funnily enough the project I'm currently working on is an in-browser fighting game. I wonder if theres any connection there?

Last edited by arcadeninja : 05-14-2009 at 02:44 AM.
arcadeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #12
arcadeninja

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

So is everyone here in aggreement that this is a fairly solid plan to land a job in game production? I was kind of waiting for someone to suggest a different major or getting a degree at a different school or something like that. But if it's a decent plan then I guess that can go unsaid.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Sorry shonk and lady, I didn't mean to sound accusatory in my earlier post. I think (arcadeninja) your current plan seems generally solid, with the addition of working on your own games during your college years. Producers might not be sticking their face in editors for multiple hours each day, but if I could snag a good producer that also had experience across the pipeline I would.

I'm not saying you should spend time mastering each department (that would be nice, wouldn't it), but a knowledge of how someone models an asset so it can easily be textured, rigged and animated is valuable. Knowledge of how they get converted into playable scenes (like porting from Max to a game editor) is also important.

With that said, the role of a producer can vary wildly from one company or project to the next. Also, none of us know about your personal situation and why you feel it necessary to stay in Reno. Of course I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but there's a lot of colleges out there sporting the same degree.

It seems like your plan is good, but take our input with a grain of salt. We are not equipped with the ability to accurately suggest your future - we just don't know you well enough. A lot of people post similar threads as this, and one of the commonly accepted responses is to do what you want to do. Figure out exactly what classes you will have to take to obtain this B.A. in Management and read the descriptions. If they sound like something you'd enjoy then go for it.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Quote:
Sorry shonk and lady, I didn't mean to sound accusatory in my earlier post.
Not a problem zooch.
Quote:
I was kind of waiting for someone to suggest a different major or getting a degree at a different school or something like that.
It doesn't really matter where you go to school or what your major is you just need to have the skills to do your job well. Keep reading the job postings to continually learn the skills you need. You won't get all of them at school you will have to learn some on your own.
Quote:
Attempt to found a successful game devolpement club at school or in the local community to gain some experience leading a team.
Great idea, leadership and project management skills are assets in a producer role.
Quote:
I think (arcadeninja) your current plan seems generally solid, with the addition of working on your own games during your college years.
I agree this does look solid. Some goals could change and it is good to be flexible remember to keep reading the job postings and keep up on current trends. Make as many games as you can as a producer.
Quote:
So is everyone here in aggreement that this is a fairly solid plan to land a job in game production?
Ultimately, you are the only one that knows what you want, and it looks like you have that covered.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 AM   #15
arcadeninja

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Fantastic. Thanks a ton for the advice and motivation guys I really appreciate it.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:57 AM   #16
kate88
Banned

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Default Hello

waooooooo!!!I like your job in game production.Really amazing plan of yours in this field............. Well, In this business world, your idea of doing this job is fantastic......Thank you for the excellent response.
kate88 is offline   Reply With Quote