Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
ccontinisio

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123
Default E3 - Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009

I don't know if it's appropriate to start a thread like this, and my apologies if it's too much a commercial thing to talk about here.

Still I wanted to talk about E3 and hear what you think about the announcements of the three console hardware houses. I don't want to know if the new Metroid is cool for you or what you think of the new Metal Gear Solid.

I want to know what do you think of the Nintendo struggle to balance between casual and hardcore.

I want to know if how the motion sensing technologies presented by Microsoft and Sony feel like.

I want to know what do you think about the trends showed there. Then I'll weight in my comments as well.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Nintendo's was un-exciting although a few games did peak my interest. Sony's game line up was very good and from a developers point of view, the motion cam/controller was very interesting despite a lack of games shown. MS's Natal was more worrying in comparison due to lack of live demo and controller. Also, like Nintendo, a few games also peaked my interest.
yaustar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
ccontinisio

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Regarding the motion controllers:
Sony's wand was... funny, but just because of the demo, which was well thought and well presented. I don't see though how it can be more than a Wii Motion Plus, and it will come out a year later. I think it was a little mistake to show it now, and also given Microsoft's technology.

Microsoft's Project Natal instead excited me a bit, but we need to see if it could do what it promises in a decent amount of time from now, and how much will it cost.

As a side note, I think that it's better to have something in your hands when you are mimicking an activity that requires a tool in real life, like tennis or shooters. This is the reason why the Wiimote and Sony's wand feel more intuitive. Of course Natal feels better with a karate or football game.
It's point of views, of course, and then P.Natal's flaw could be fixed by holding something in a hand, and you get the same feel as the other two technologies.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

After reading this, I have more interest in Natal: http://www.destructoid.com/wii-hacke...l-134511.phtml

Sony's wand (in principle) has much better positional tracking then Wii Motion Plus. The Motion Plus technology has no concept of spatial positioning.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss692

Cool about Lee being on-board the Natal.
Have to say I'm quite excited about it too. Mainly due to this hands-on report by ign, and Molyneux's Milo propaganda vid. Crazy stuff, that Natal.

Am I the only one that thinks Nintendo's Vitality Meter might actually be cool? I can imagine how it dynamically throws different gameplay types onto you, depending on your stress-level (= heartrate?).

As for actual games, a Metroid by Team Ninja? Wow. Did not expect that. Crackdown 2 could be nice. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is savory. Anything else? (You could exchange "SMG2" for "L4D2", if that's more your thing. :P)
Old 06-03-2009, 04:40 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector one View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Nintendo's Vitality Meter might actually be cool? I can imagine how it dynamically throws different gameplay types onto you, depending on your stress-level (= heartrate?).
At first, I literally thought WTF!, but then began to wonder on what games could be made based on your heart rate.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

The idea for Natal excited the designer in me to no end. I was literally standing there with my jaw dropped when I saw it. I saw this company demoing at GDC this year and as soon as I heard Microsoft had purchased them I got very excited. I just hope they make cool games with it
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

I'm going to get my grubby developer hands on Natal as soon as possible. I can only imagine the immersive capabilities of combining Natal with Cry3.

Goosebumps.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
ccontinisio

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Project Natal is exciting, but it's not yet here. I foresee... end of 2010?

For the Vitality Sensor, it has some interesting applications. Imagine a RPG where NPCs menace you, and understand that you're upset from your heartbeat.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

It might be released to consumers by the end of 2010, but developers will need it much earlier so they can integrate games to it when it releases. That's what I mean.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote