Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
Chimpey

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Art, Programmng or General Design?

Hi

I am currently studying a 2 year Games Development course at my college and have almost finished my first year. During the year I have found that Level Design/creation is my most desired role to work towards. And have already began using my free time to build levels, model etc

But, I need to start deciding on my University course to take and trying to decide which degree to follow is becoming problematic. The three options are mostly 3D art & animation, Programming or a general design course.

After spending a good deal of time with programming I have found its not really my thing and I can get rather tiresome of it. This leaves me with the other two courses. Which of these 2 do you guys think will be most beneficial for me to become a Level Designer?

Both seem very good and very appealing to me and I think I will enjoy both
Chimpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

You don't need a games degree to get a job in the games industry. Just study something you are passionate about.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
PuppyBlade

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

By general design do you mean things like page layout and composition? If so, I'd say go with the 3d Art and Animation, the tools would be similar to what you'd use designing levels for a 3d game.
PuppyBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

I don't know exactly what the "general design course" means, but it sounds like 3D Art and Animation would be more valuable to you. I know the most sought after employees are the programmers, but I think animators come 2nd.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Chimpey

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

The "general design" tocuhes the basics of programming and 3D art, but will go more in depth with the design process more than the other 2 courses. So, things like creating a good design proposal, generation of gaming ideas etc
Chimpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
ladyaurora

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss41

Quote:
The "general design" tocuhes the basics of programming and 3D art, but will go more in depth with the design process more than the other 2 courses. So, things like creating a good design proposal, generation of gaming ideas etc
Generally it is helpful for a level designer to have some 3d art and scripting/programming skills.

What programming language and 3d art program is in your curriculum?
What level editor will you be learning?
You can also just send us a link to the curriculum too.

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

I do a BA in Computer Games Design at the University of Wolverhampton, West Midlands UK and in our first year we have made levels in Unreal Editor, made a short Space Invaders type game using lingo coding in Macromedia Director, Created a 3D Model of a character (that we have to design) using 3D Studio Max, looked at basic sound editing, We did a module on using Photoshop and of course wrote the few essays. Next semester I think we are doing rigging and animation as well as expanding on what we learnt in the first year.

I would recommend this type of course, unfortunately, you run the risk of being a jack of all trades and master of none, which will not hep when it comes to getting a job, however you will need to know roughly about each aspect of game development if you want to become a designer, which this course is great for. I try to do as much in my spare time as I can, but if you work more on say 3D modeling than level editing and become really good at it and build up a healthy portfolio, then I think you would stand more of a chance getting a job in 3D modeling than if you had a portfolio full of bits and pieces from all over.

Hope this helps,

Tenacious Stu
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
BorisK

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyBlade View Post
By general design do you mean things like page layout and composition? If so, I'd say go with the 3d Art and Animation, the tools would be similar to what you'd use designing levels for a 3d game.
what he said
im changing unis because mine has decided to focus on programming and i want to go into design. there are some unis that offer games art and game design, ive looked at both and the difference is game art needs you to be able to draw. just make sure u go to a uni that swings towards games art/game design or u will be screwed like me...................game physics and DirecX are no joke lol
BorisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
Digital Arts Center

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

We offer both art and programming tracks here at UC San Diego Extensions Digital Arts Center.
Digital Arts Center is offline   Reply With Quote