Get the latest Education e-news

Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Scales

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Career question

Hello there. I am an aspiring game designer who has a few questions about the industry.

I enjoy writing stories and designing characters, since I enjoy playing video games as well I naturally developed an interest in it. Though I have a few questions. I did some research and I heard that writers for games are seldom hired and it is more likely to be a designer yet do writing on the side for a game. At the same time however I have heard from a game development wannabes that it is more likely to get hired in design rather then development due to the amount of competition in development. So I am at a standstill and am wondering whether or not I should be worried if I can't find a job as a writer for video games.
Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

Quote:
I did some research and I heard that writers for games are seldom hired
Yep, very few companies have permanent writers and the rest outsource/contract at best.

Quote:
and it is more likely to be a designer yet do writing on the side for a game.
This may happen if budget is tight or they have a multi talented designer.

Quote:
I have heard from a game development wannabes that it is more likely to get hired in design rather then development due to the amount of competition in development.
I don't know who said that but I can't see that being true. There are far more development positions then designers and it is very rare (relative to a development position) that a company will hire a graduate with no industry experience to be a designer.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote