Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136
Default Game Design Challenge: Creating Fun Communication

For the newest Game Design Challenge, we're doing something a little different -- asking you to come up with a fun communication system for an MMO, where the characters can't understand each other in-game (and one which might work for players who can't understand each other IRL!)

Take a look at the challenge here.

EDIT: Results are up!

http://gamecareerguide.com/features/...me_design_.php
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

On the page, it says to submit it under the topic of "Change Mario's Career". This is a typo, no?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #3
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Quote:
The system should also function for NPC (computer-controlled) characters as well as live players.
Laaame! There goes my Pictochat-like penis-drawing idea.
Although... What does "should also function for" mean, exactly? Should NPCs be able to understand communications by the player? Or should they simply be able to produce communicative efforts themselves?
Old 06-11-2009, 02:48 AM   #4
Grobi

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Hi all, I don't usually post in here but do check the site each day so figured I might as well join in for once.

Are we allowed to discuss ideas here and how to go about researching and developing for this contest or are we to keep it to ourselves until submission?
Grobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:58 AM   #5
Protector one

Activity Longevity
2/20 17/20
Today Posts
1/11 ssssss698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobi View Post
Are we allowed to discuss ideas here and how to go about researching and developing for this contest or are we to keep it to ourselves until submission?
You're prety much encouraged to do so. People used to even post their submissions here (for review or just for our reading pleasure).
Old 06-11-2009, 03:07 AM   #6
Grobi

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thanks for the speedy answer.

I think in order to begin designing for this contest researching into real life methods of communication between different people would be of great benefit. I'm not just talking about different languages but also methods of communication used by the deaf, blind or mute. Once this has been established, looking into what MMO's have done previously could be of use and what kind of audience would be using the system.

The most important thing to remember here is that it has to be simple and fun!

I'm off to gather some data. I'll be sure to post up anything I find that could be useful.
Grobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:36 AM   #7
Mulopeza

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

A quite interesting challenge...

Quote:
featuring friendly characters who can't understand each other.
I guess this means that you have to describe the communication between different races, but the people from the same races could still communicate the normal way.

I ask this because communication with people you can't understand will always have some restrictions. While I think in an MMO you still should be able to explain exactly what you mean to people from the same race.
Mulopeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Just some thoughts:

"What kind of gameplay system would allow players who can't communicate by typing to interact?"

-a key thing to keep in mind. So while click and drag words and text menus and such are available to characters who can understand each other this is still extremely limiting. The idea of having people who can understand your language assist you figure out what a speaker of a foreign language is saying is an interesting one to toy with.

-in theory, if these ideas are being seriously pitched, there should be a reason why the communication you chose is superior to translated text. Because a challenge said so isn't going to cut it in this hypothetical situation
Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
FalloutSatyr

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10

Three things, first: is character's body language allowed (a little bit like in the Sims series) or is it part of "the forbidden communication"?
Second: I'm new to this kind of contests, how should we write our solutions down? I guess by the 500 worlds we don't have to do any programming, but can we for example design the system around a xbox 360's controller?
Third: I had some problems with the Catholic school I was attending to earlier this year so I'm home schooling until September, is this a problem? May I just write that I'm home schooling on the submission?
FalloutSatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLlama View Post
On the page, it says to submit it under the topic of "Change Mario's Career". This is a typo, no?
I fixed that pretty quickly! Surprised somebody noticed, but I shouldn't be. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulopeza View Post
I guess this means that you have to describe the communication between different races, but the people from the same races could still communicate the normal way.

I ask this because communication with people you can't understand will always have some restrictions. While I think in an MMO you still should be able to explain exactly what you mean to people from the same race.
Correct. Really, that isn't even part of the challenge, though you can address it if you wish (and if you have an interesting idea, feel free!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalloutSatyr View Post
Three things, first: is character's body language allowed (a little bit like in the Sims series) or is it part of "the forbidden communication"?
Absolutely. Anything is allowed that's nonverbal. Bear in mind verbal means communication with words (it's often used as a synonym for "oral" which means spoken communication.)

Quote:
Second: I'm new to this kind of contests, how should we write our solutions down? I guess by the 500 worlds we don't have to do any programming, but can we for example design the system around a xbox 360's controller?
Absolutely, and you can create images to go along with your submission if you want, which help you explain what you intend.

Quote:
Third: I had some problems with the Catholic school I was attending to earlier this year so I'm home schooling until September, is this a problem? May I just write that I'm home schooling on the submission?
Sure. There are no restrictions of that nature.
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote