Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
two_larsens

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default Courses instead of degree?

Hello,

Thanks for an excellent forum. I would, naturally, like to pursue a career in game design and development, but am a little lost as to what the best avenue would be. I see there are numerous degrees one could choose from and courses, and would prefer not to waste my time with something that isn't useful.

Since I was a child, I would always make games - from cardboard back then, to basic programming later, once computers became available for the common man - so I know I would like to work within the field

Reading up on it, I see there are independent courses from Game Institute, for instance, and wonder if something like that in itself would be useable (multiple courses)? Or, would it be better to go for something more meaty - perhaps an old-fashioned degree?

Thanks!

HL
two_larsens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #2
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

well as someone with both a games degree and who has taken several gameinstitute courses, I'd have to say that I found the courses more helpful to my devlopment knowledge. It covered each subject in much greater detail than my degree did, and I highly recommend them. On the other hand a degree is more likely to get you passed the cv/resume stage of applications and will also give you team experience. It also depends on the quality of your degree.

Personally I'd recommend both.
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
two_larsens

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Thanks for the reply. Is it unknown that anyone has gotten in the gaming industry solely from studying through courses? I'm 36 years old, with a background in arts and music, but from Denmark. I'm a US resident, so there shouldn't be too much of a problem there, I hope, but time, I think is getting to be at a premium

Thanks,

HL
Old 06-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1460

Age doesn't really factor in. It's not that important. It is not that unusual for people who arn't in their early twenties to successfully break in.

I personally would reccomend getting a good bachelors degree if you don't already have one. It will make getting those interviews easier. If, however, you already have a degree, then a course could be a more suitable option. The field of your original degree isn't that important, especially if you are going for a design role.

What position are you actually gunning for?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2245

What qualifications/experience/skills do you currently have?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
two_larsens

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Well, my education have so far been in more unrelated areas to computer, such as art, magazine illustration, (oils, pencil and water color), classical piano and organ, media school, using PhotoShop, Quark; although my job is computer oriented, using very old-fashioned CAD-type programs, Illustrator and PhotoShop.

I have some experience with programming - BASIC and have always had an interest in the mechanics of games. As far as my approach, then I intend to get skilled before applying for anything. I don't want to 'break in' from luck or opportunity, although such things, of course, are factors. If it will take some years, then I'm fine with that, but I just don't want to waste my time if age is a something that puts you behind the field - I see from here, though that it isn't.

I would like to shoot for 3D modeling. I would also like design aspects and writing - ideas and the like, but I don't want to spread myself over too wide of a field initially. I'm thinking about starting out with some courses from Game Institute and then take it from there, but I will approach it in a very serious manner.

Thanks for the help,

HL
Old 06-16-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2245

Do you currently have a degree qualification in anything?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #8
two_larsens

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

The school systems are a little different in Denmark, but as for a degree, then no I do not. I guess I should get one.

HL
Old 06-16-2009, 02:47 AM   #9
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2245

To be honest, I am a little loathe to suggest getting a degree despite it being the 'correct' choice as taking 3 years out of work at 36 may not be a realistic choice.

It is not unknown for people to enter the industry without a degree although it is dependent on luck and who you know.

What would you like to do in the industry? Art, Programming or Design?

If you want to do something Art related (let's say 3D modelling), considering you have strong background and industry experience for that area, a shorter 'training' course in 3D modelling sounds much more viable.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
two_larsens

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

That's what I'm shooting for - 3D modeling, and learned through courses, as well as other areas. I did think about getting a degree, but with a pretty full home life, it didn't look practical. Do anyone have experience with Game Institute? That's what I'm thinking.

HL