Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #51
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

Congratulations to all of the winners. Mine didn't quite make the cut. There were some great entries though. Here was mine, any feedback would be great -

DARK MASK

You wake up on a stone beach. Cold. Wet. You feel an agonizing pain in your head. You feel dazed and confused. Where am I? Perhaps more importantly, who am I? You remember nothing. Amnesia? You get up, try to clear your head, find your bearings, find something familiar to you. Nothing. You search your pockets. Nothing… Wait, almost missed it. Paper folded up. A letter-

You are engulfed in a flood of familiar images. Memories. Memories of a family murdered before your eyes. Memories of a painful torture inflicted upon you. You remember hatred, hatred for a man who calls himself Dark Mask. The kingpin of crime. Who conceals his identity behind a mask of black bandages. You understand that you wrote this letter and your desire to kill this man, is all you have left in the world.

The Game begins

The game is a third person Action/Adventure type game with a similar gaming style to Uncharted, with shoot--out sections as well as different environments you have to navigate through. As you play the game you understand the letter more and more. You visit the places mentioned in it with the hopes that it will bring back memories. You play as Blake and start of on the beach, the first level, a simple introduction that eventually takes you to a road where you see a sign for Fuel City. The Levels in the game come from places mentioned in the Letter. For example you pass Park Hill farm and remember it from the letter so you go to investigate. Other levels include Oliver Street, and your family’s old restaurant, all streaming with Dark Masks men (who have learned of your vendetta and are trying to stop you). After several levels and boss fights you eventually you discover a nightclub called ‘The Palace of Shadows’, mentioned in the letter. Here you finally encounter Dark Mask.

After you defeat him and give him the letter to read he laughs and removes his mask. You recognise him. He tells you that he isn’t the real Dark Mask, you are and he is Drake and he wrote the letter. He escaped from your torture camp, tracked you down, gave you the letter to read and attempted to shoot you at a cliff edge before you jumped. He assumed you had died and planned to pose as Dark Mask and slowly bring the city out of corruption and into a crime free society. He’s been trying to stop you since you destroyed Park Hill. You remember everything and all that he is saying is true.

The game ends with a view down the barrel of a gun that you are holding and you control. You can choose to either shoot the real Drake or shoot yourself, the original Dark Mask, for all your horrible deeds.

I guess maybe I concentrated on story too much rather than actual game play. I also only had a few days to work on it as I was on holiday for most of this challenge.
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #52
lostgamedev

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graedius View Post
Congratulations, Jay! Well-made entry there
Hey, I know you! You're 5 workstations away from me! )
lostgamedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #53
Graedius

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgamedev View Post
Hey, I know you! You're 5 workstations away from me! )
My cover's been blown! Haha

Awesome work Jay, as always XD
Graedius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #54
lostgamedev

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Thanks, Shin.
lostgamedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #55
Makalu

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hello everyone, i subscribed to the forum just today, to say: it has been an honor to participate in this design contest and to read all your great concepts. Gamasutra has always been a perfect spot for exchanging ideas, have some brainstorming, read amazing articles and participate in great discussions.

Again, we all ended up sharing ideas and we all aimed to create a peculiar and thought-provoking concept - for me, living in a country with almost no development studios (independent or not), this has been a delightful experience. I came up with three different concepts after a couple of hours, but then decided to submit that one, because (among other personal reasons) it is composed of some familiar mechanics and some other mechanics that would be new and possibly provocative and engrossing when played.
It's probably because of this, because english is not my mother language, and because i had a flight that very same day that i soon found myself struggling to reduce the amount of words, but ended up with a 700 and more words submission. Sorry for that, if i'd had some more time before my flight i could have done something shorter, but that was such a crazy day. Thanks for your patience.

If anyone would be interested in doing something more concrete, to collaborate on something, to let me be part of something, or even just watching someone work on a project, i'd totally love that, drop me a message or an email!

Alessandro Toffoli
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #56
jegcelorio

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default About the decisions

I think the game mechanics are extremely important when considering a judge's decision.

For Goomba Fever! I choose a fairly common character and developed a gameplay mechanic around it. A fun mechanic, by the judge's opinion.

Stories should DEFINITELY be considered, but for a Design Challenge the innovative approach in terms of how you play the game really matters.

Consider this typical example--Enter the Matrix. Awesome story (especially the way it blended with the films), but the execution was... bland.

Now consider this example--Metal Gear Solid 4. Tons of cutscenes, tons of dialogue, but the gameplay mechanics really stand out. Especially during Big Momma's bike sequence, and the way you kill each BB Corp.

Summarizing all your previous comments, yes: being a little more specific in terms of what is going to be evaluated, and how would make it more competitive and fair. In terms of length... just stick to it, and you will avoid negative criticism.
jegcelorio is offline   Reply With Quote