Old 09-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
sumo311

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18
Unhappy Just got Hired

Hello There GameCareerGuide Community.

I have a question about the job I just got.

Okay, I just got hired by a website called
Code:
mangahunter.com
And I am only 14 years old. They have 3 staff members currently including me, Me+another guy write, the other one works on the website and markets.
I get paid, in any way I want, money, microsoft points, online merchandise whatever. Too put it into number, I get

$2 for 750 word article
$3 for 1500
$4 for 2500
$5 for 3500

Is this reasonable payment considering I can do as many articles as I want when I want and how I want, and at my age? and also would this help if I wanted to get a job at a more prestigious site? Should I ask for more money, because, it takes me, with research/photos and all about 1 hour to write 750 words, making my $/h be $2/h. 2 dollars per hour seems quite low as when I umpire 1 baseball game, I make $25.

Is this a good deal, do you think I should stick with it? The site isnt very popular at the moment, and I have done 1 article. It is called "The Necessity of Video Games", you should drop by te site and check it out, leave a comment too about what you think of it.

Thanks Sumo311, I would really appreciate an answer from anyone who thinks they could answer my questions. Thanks again in advance!
Old 09-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1884

Hi there, Su, you wrote:

> I just got hired

"Hired" in which sense? Hired as in, there's an employment agreement and you had to fill out a W-2 tax form? Or hired as in, there's a Work For Hire agreement and a Copyright Assignment? Or hired as in, "hey yeah we'll like pay you for any article you write that we publish"?

>Is this reasonable payment

If you're satisfied with it, it is.

>Should I ask for more money

You are perfectly free to do that. Sounds like they don't have much money to pay. Are they also teenagers?

>Is this a good deal

"Good deals" are subjective. Only YOU can decide what is a "good deal" FOR YOU.

>do you think I should stick with it?

Why not write a few articles, see how it goes. Stuff you get published is good portfolio fodder. And it's good practice, too. But if you need to make money, you should umpire more ball games. BTW, you might want to check your contract to see if you can put a copyright notice on your articles so that after these guys have your stuff for some months, the rights revert to you.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
sumo311

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

In the sense, "Hey yeah, we'll pay you for the articles you write and we publish"

Ya, I am not sure about the payment, what I would like to know is, I am fine with it now, because it is a fairly new site and I am brand new to it, but, do you think once I start wiritng articles and become more familiar with it all, do you think I should ask for more payment, I dont mean if I think I should, but I mean would that be professional, or would it make me look stupid?

No, they arent teenagers. One has children.

Rather than ask is it a good deal....I should have compared it to the big game sites like gamespot/etc. I know you need good expirence, prefferably a degree to get a job on thos sites, ut relatively, what is there pay per article/hour? JUst to sort of put it into perspective.

And, how do I go about that copyright stuff, I havent the slightest clue really?

Thank you so much for you quick and informative response, I hope you can answer my remaining questions, Thanks, Sumo311!

PS - maybe, if you dont mind, checking out my post, and telling me if it's any good for a first crack at it, I know it is going to need work, but, what do you think of it for a my first try (I am 14 BTW)

The link is in my siggy, Article is under, news---->general called "The Necessity of Video Games"

Last edited by sumo311 : 09-02-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
Eagle.S

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

What exactly do you write about and how well do you write? If you can knock out 1000 words in an hour I doubt there is a large reviewing process or much research. Its a video game site so I would assume you write about games (duh). Anyway what exactly do you write (i.e. reviews? walkthroughs? other?) and do you actually use your own opinions. Again if it takes you only an hour it would seem that you might just look at a couple of articles and emulate what they wrote. I dont mean to be so critical and dont take any of my questions as a personal attack I am just a very curious person and I find your post intresting.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #5
sumo311

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

NP at all mate, I realise I am new to this and dont know what I specifics I ned to tell you. Okay, let me get started here,

I write about anything to do with xbox 360, nothing is specified, I can really write about anything I want technically, very very leniant + nice boss. I think you should check out my post, on the website
Code:
http://www.mangahunter.com/the-necessity-of-video-games/
For an example of my writing. I would say I am an average writer, nothing that spectacular. I cannot do 1000 words in an hour, for a game review, I could probably do about 750 about an hour when I am writing fast, normally probably 1:30 mins for 750 words - 2 hours.

I can write pretty much anything, and I get payed under the same rules I stated in the first post. I have only written 1 post so I cannot answer whether I use my own opinions that well, but for my only post, that was my opinion.

If you could take some more time and look over what I have answered and maybe answer some of the questions I asked up above, I would GREATLY appreciate it. Also, dont be afraid to look at my "The Necessity of Video Games" on the website in my siggy or the coded link above.

Thanks a lot, sumo311
Old 09-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
sumo311

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

JUst too clarify, you could not find a better boss, he is great, nice and very leniant/helpful. JUst in general a very nice guy!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #7
Shalhoub

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

I thought you were going to sleep!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo311 View Post
$2 for 750 word article
$3 for 1500
$4 for 2500
$5 for 3500
Er... ok so if you write a single 1500 word article you get $3, but if you write two 750 word articles (1500 words in total) you get $2 twice (ie. $4)? I'm not sure they've thought that out terribly well...
Old 09-03-2009, 04:24 AM   #9
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

How long does it take for you to write 750 words? Is $2 a fair payment in your eyes for that time?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #10
Eagle.S

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

I read your article and it isnt bad. I assume you are an amateur writer and you are off to a good start. However there are sentences within your artice that arent even sentences and paragraphs that should end either sooner or later. Overall if you do not feel you are getting enough people reading your article then you may want to try spicing it up a little bit. Remember your first sentence is what makes your reader want to read. You are a good writer but i can tell you are trying to use words that you may not fully know. Trust me even experenced writers dont know every word in the world. Try sticking to words you know and even though you may think it will make your artice less compelling I guarantee that people will like it more. The biggest problem I find is that you are incredibly bias. I understad that you are an avid gamer and trust me I am too but you have to understand bother sides. You bring up some great points for supporting playing games but you havent adressed the negatives. Like that technology as a whole (including games) have made our generation lazy. If you do not feel you can overcome your bias (and trust me a lot of people cant) dont fret you can always try finding someone to debate with. Instead of just have one article per topic you can try writing debate articles. A lot of people find them intresting espically when they can always rely on one person to say what they cant.

As far as the pay you have to factor in the experence. You are a you writer who from what I can tell has a passion for writing. This website gives you a means in which to express yourself. I personally would take advantage of that. Ultimately it is up to you to decide if it is worth your time.
Closed Thread