Old 09-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136
Default New Challenge: Be The Hero!

Take a side character from a game and promote them to a hero!

What supporting characters could stand on their own as the protagonists of games? Who should be freed from the shadow of a scene-stealing lead and become the hero of his or her own epic? Your job is to think back to supporting cast members and antagonists and figure out who deserves a chance in the light.

Entries must be submitted by Wednesday, September 16

Results will be posted Tuesday, September 22

Full details:

http://gamecareerguide.com/features/...ge_be_the_.php
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

Nice Challenge,

I hope to see some awesome bad guys get their own games for this challenge. Good luck to everyone!
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
shagans

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I've submitted a few of these, but decided that if I want to make them better, I should get some ideas from my peers.

Here is my first idea... might be the one I submit.

Otacon’s Saga:

Old Snake went missing one day while at the store. Otacon believes that something bad has happened and begins to investigate. He finds that Snake has been captured by an enemy and is being held inside a maximum security prison. Otacon decides to infiltrate this prison, find out what’s going on, and save Snake from his pending execution. As he is lacking his own espionage skills, Otacon sends his robotic assistant, MKII.

Otacon’s Saga is primarily a platformer of the Castlevania variety. MKII must make his way through the complex prison system and discover who is behind this plot, and how Snake might be saved. The path, however, is very dangerous and will require MKII to avoid detection at all costs. In the beginning, this plays out like a stealth-platformer where MKII must find small paths and conserve battery life using his invisibility sparingly to get past the posts placed throughout the facility.

Hacking will be an essential part of the game and will be performed by MKII providing Otacon with a direct link to initiate the hack. Hacking attempts will begin a puzzle-style mini-game that will challenge the skill of the player. Each type of device will have a different game that must be completed (EG. An electronic device might need a connection-style puzzle of varying complexities, while an electronic door might need a Tetris-style puzzle of varying difficulty).

Upon making its way to the Warden’s office, MKII overhears a conversation that leads to a critical revelation and instigates a “change of guard” at the prison as it is taken over by the enemy faction. The player (and Otacon) will believe that the remnants of the Guns of the Patriots are attempting to extract DNA and their revenge on Snake.

Otacon decides it is time to pull out his MKIII prototype. This unit has a longer battery life, and is built to be able to assimilate pieces of other technology and turn them into useful attachments. This unit is also capable of being engaged directly in battle.

Now as the MKIII, the player is sent back to the prison facility, which is being altered to include more aggressive technological security. The MKIII’s abilities to assimilate technology, allow for the finding and using of upgrades and weapons. As the MKIII experiences more battles, Otacon is able to create updates for the MKIII firmware. This allows the MKIII to gain “levels” and have upgraded abilities. The MKIII will start with 5 upgrade slots that a player can use to equip assimilated technology. This technology would be anything from superior armor to weapons systems to expanded battery packs. When finishing puzzles or defeating enemies, the MKIII will be able to obtain pieces of technology that can be used to “research” assimilation parts. The player will be able to choose how technology is used and what parts are assimilated into.

This game will provide a unique perspective to the world of MGS and will reveal a new MGS mystery to solve.
shagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Jez

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

I have always wanted to design a spin off game for Heihachi Mishima, I find his design and style the most appealing out of all of the characters within the Tekken universe.

I was wondering if it is plausible to use Heihachi because he is from a fighting game where there is no true main character or he becomes the main character (hero) for the player if he is selected. Some of the characters are linked to the 'main plot' of each of the sequels throughout the series which involve Heihachi in some way.

I would just like to know what people think because I want to produce a feasible entry.

Last edited by Jez : 09-04-2009 at 02:35 AM.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136

If Namco could make Death By Degrees (Remember that? Better that you don't, actually) I say go for it.

Bonus points if your back story can explain his hair. (Not really!)
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

Nice idea shagans and jez,

Although didn't the MKII get destroyed in prague during MGS4? and Sunny gave MKIII to some little kid at the end of the game? So wouldn't Otocon need a MKIV?

I decided to use characters from Metal Gear Solid too, but I chose to use antagonists rather than other good guys.

My game focuses on showing the stories of the FOXHOUND members and what drove them to rebel during the events of Shadow Moses in the original Metal Gear Solid. the game plays like existing Metal Gear Solid games, except each character has their own Unique abilities and style of gameplay. During the game you'll play as all six members of the FOXHOUND unit. Each character will have three levels each, each adding to the overall story of the Metal Gear universe.

Liquid Snake -

While playing as Liquid, the player will feel a familiar style of gameplay, but Liquid will have SAS style weapons and items. His levels would include his training during his time in the SAS, his mission to infiltrate Iraq and the Middle East to become a sleeper agent and the final level of the game which would see him taking command of Raven, Octopus, Wolf, Ocelot and Mantis in their final mission before the rebellion, where we see what drove them to repress being puppets of the government and rebel against them.

Revolver Ocelot -

Ocelots gameplay would include his style of combat (using his revolver against enemies) and also his spy elements. One of his levels would be during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan as a member of the KGB (where he would meet Sergei Gurlukovich and Vulcan Raven). Another level would be working as a spy for the SVR (Foreign Intelligence Service, Russia) and a secret mission for and against the Patriots as a Spy/Mercenary.

Psycho Mantis-

In a game style similar to that of Second Sight, Mantis has many abilities such as reading minds, taking control over peoples bodies, create apparitions of himself, can levitate objects and can turn invisible for brief periods of time. His first level would be the birth of his powers, when he burned down his village upon finding out his father hates him. Other levels would include working for the FBI and working as a freelance psychic.

Sniper Wolf-

Obviously her game style would include a lot of sniper elements (levels could play out like Naked Snakes boss fight with The End in MGS3). Her first level would be her sniper training during the Gulf War. Later levels would include escaping from the war and meeting Saladin (Big Boss).

Vulcan Raven-

Ravens first level would be his hike across the frozen Bering Sea (this level would hope to get across Ravens spiritual awakening, during the level you would have to trace the frozen landscape and often having visions). You would also play as Raven during his time in the KGB in the Vympel unit. His final level would be as he is stationed in Outer Heaven and his mission is to stop someone known as Grey Fox from infiltrating.

Decoy Octopus-

His game elements would include convincing the enemies that you are who you are mimicking. One of Decoy's levels would include working in Outer Heaven and impersonating Dr. Madnar to fool and trap Solid Snake.

The game concept isn't finalized yet, but I think this is heading in the right direction.
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #7
bittman

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss62

Whoa, already a lot of Metal Gear Solid ideas, never played the series though.

A bit worried this will be a design challenge where the judges favoured games will play a big part.

Also a bit worried that many ideas won't be that original, but instead simply mods to an original game. That said, there are some good mod ideas.

Most mainstream games that I'd typically target for a challenge like this have already done this type of spin-off (Mario, Sonic, etc).

Not sure what mainstream title/series I should target with this challenge yet. Zelda is tempting me, with Zelda instead of Link. Trying to think what other games I know well enough to develop a side character for that actually have characters worth developing.

Anything by Square has 100 sub characters though, I could throw a dart at their selection.
bittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:43 AM   #8
bobkreut

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

hehe ya I went through some of the same type of thinking bittman. Originally all I could think of were really obscure characters such as the one eyed green alien from Commander Keen, or the coach on the bicycle from Mike Tyson's Punchout, but I think I should swerve my thinking to a bit more mainstream idea.
bobkreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
Auratus

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittman View Post
Zelda is tempting me, with Zelda instead of Link.
There are actually a couple of games for the CDi with Zelda as the protagonist. Although, they seem to be quite disastrous, according to some reviews.

Of course, I'm not saying that a design featuring Zelda should be excluded from the challenge. In fact, it would be interesting to see a new (good) game featuring her
Auratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243

Well,

I'm glad that although I haven't been able to keep track of things because of a busy schedule, things here are still interesting as ever!

I'm thinking about running with this one in a slightly different direction and letting Star Trek's redshirts have their day. I know it's mainly a TV/movie franchise, but they've had their day in games as well.

Besides, they deserve a little time in the spotlght after all the horrible dangers they've had to overcome for the Federation, don't they?
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote