cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
'Submissions should be no more than 500 words and may contain up to three images. Be sure to include your full name and school affiliation or job title.'
That's quite correct. It seems to have dropped out of my template somehow, but I've just reinserted it into that and will do so to the front page story.
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #22
JohnsonM

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss53

I'm planning on posting a design for this project and I have a couple of questions. How much focus should I put on the background story of the game (esp. for this project)? My second question is, does anyone know who looks at the winners of these contests? By that I mean, is it very often that a big time game developer may run across a good idea and try to get in contact with the person who came up with the idea?
JohnsonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #23
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonM View Post
I'm planning on posting a design for this project and I have a couple of questions. How much focus should I put on the background story of the game (esp. for this project)? My second question is, does anyone know who looks at the winners of these contests? By that I mean, is it very often that a big time game developer may run across a good idea and try to get in contact with the person who came up with the idea?
Well, given that you have limited space to work with, you should spend it on what you consider most important. Perhaps reading some of the past winning entries might give you some guidance there.

The entries are judged by the staff of GameCareerGuide, who are not professional developers. I would be very surprised if developers contacted the winners of these contests. It's not because the ideas are poor (often they're very good) but because, if nothing else, most developers already have their OWN ideas that they want to make and cannot due to circumstances.
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #24
JohnsonM

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss53

I figured it never happened, I was just wondering if maybe there had been some sort of instance. It seems like it would be a good thing to get your name out there.
Also I've been working on my idea and I think I've found a good balance between story and concept. Thanks for your input though.
JohnsonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #25
lostgamedev

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonM View Post
I figured it never happened, I was just wondering if maybe there had been some sort of instance. It seems like it would be a good thing to get your name out there.
Also I've been working on my idea and I think I've found a good balance between story and concept. Thanks for your input though.
Well if you work for a game development company, the management can leverage your idea and sort of pitch them to some publishers. The added 'prestige' of being included in the bi-weekly GDC can sometimes do wonders, you know.

That is, if the stars align to your advantage.

Last edited by lostgamedev : 09-13-2009 at 10:21 PM.
lostgamedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:44 PM   #26
thebobcatte

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Hey guys, I have lurked this site for a while, thought I would finally post some ideas.

Side character that deserves his/her own game

Dog from Half life two!

Strengths, format=adventure platforming. 3rd person. focus on strength and agility of character. in his shoes you would be able to pull off great, "superhuman" feats due to his strength i.e. physically engage large craft in fisticufs as opposed to shooting from windows and launching weapons. This would give the same dry, semi-realistic world an excuse for some major feats from a drastically different point of view. After all, he's a robot! of course he can do (anything)! lots of platforming, some high speed adrenaline sections, and many puzzle situations focused on rescuing resistance members and getting them to the headquarters. The half-life mythology has already established differing locales, so dog could go to many different environments without the need to go into a large amount of backstory i.e. urban, urban decay, natural forests, alien tower, etc. Valve has already shown us that a protagonist that doesn't talk can still steal our hearts and fill us with wonder. To address this you could almost juxtapoze dog's ability to "emote" through physical movement; it would be an interesting balance that the human hub of the story doesn't show any emotion which contrasts greatly with a robot that can evoke genuine empathy. Also included could be a kind of first person toggle that would be used to solve environmental puzzles i.e. detective mode in the new Batman game, however not as polished.
And seriously, who doesn't want to just jump on one of those walkers and pound it into the ground?

Dog also meets up with the main characters in the main storyline sparsely enough that those same moments could possibly be built into his story. Gordon still doesn't talk, but it would have the "hook" of seeing Gordon in third person at some point in the game, which I believe would be as paramount as seeing master chief walk around in odst or Solid Snake's cameos in Metal Gear Solid Sons of Liberty (to a certain extent).

Sorry if it's a bit disconnected, I was kind of just typing as it came to me earlier. Thanks!
thebobcatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #27
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

I just submitted my entry...

I decided to change it from the whole of FOXHOUND to just psycho mantis. As writing for 5 playable characters would require around 100 words per character (which isn't enough), also having too many characters would distance the player from the game. I thought it would be better to allow the player to connect with just one character which would help them get deeper into the game. I decided to go with Psycho Mantis as the main player character, as he is a fascinating character and his abilities would allow for interesting gameplay.

PSYCHO MANTIS

Voted as one of the greatest bosses of all time, players will finally get to delve further in to the sick and twisted mind of Metal Gear Solid’s Psycho Mantis in this linear psychological horror/ action stealth game.

As Mantis isn’t physically capable of fighting enemies and the only weapon he uses is his mind, players will have to think of different ways to tackle situations, rather than run and gun.

The first level allows players to control Mantis as a child and see the moment when his powers first manifested themselves. Set in a small Russian village, Mantis one day accidentally reads his fathers mind, finding out that his father resents him for causing his mothers death. Upon finding this out, mantis is consumed with rage and burns down his village, scarring his face for life and forever hiding it behind a gas mask. Your first mission is to destroy the village by controlling people’s minds and levitating objects to cause fires. After this Psycho Mantis is picked up by the KGB to ‘control’ his abilities.

The game contains a ‘Psychic Vision’ which is along similar lines as Batman: Arkham Asylums ‘Detective Mode’ or Mirror’s Edge’s ‘Red Vision’, where the player can change from normal vision to ‘Psychic Vision’ and asses their environment to see what elements are interactive (for example to pin point weak walls that can be walked through). Psychic Vision also displays nearby enemies and their thoughts, allowing Mantis to gain clues as to how to carry on through the level.

Psycho Mantis’ psychic abilities make for interesting game mechanics (similar to Second Sight or Star Wars: The Force Unleashed). Mantis’ psychic moves include reading peoples minds, being able to hover across small gaps, the capacity to walk through thin walls, turn invisible for a short period, levitate objects and control weak-minded people.

Throughout the game, players will control Psycho Mantis during his life, learning different psychic abilities as he learns them. Although new abilities allow for easier game play, enemy technology is continuously advancing to make things gradually harder, such as surgical brain implants that prevent Mantis from gaining entry into the minds of his enemies.

What makes this game a Horror, starts with watching Mantis’ childhood village torched to the ground and its inhabitants burning alive at your hands. These Horrifying scenes carry on when Mantis works for the FBI and you have to enter the minds of vicious criminals to solve murder crimes. When Mantis enters suspected killers minds, the player plays through the crime with Mantis and in a lot of cases the scenes are extremely gruesome. At one point, Mantis delves too deeply into a killers mind and as a result, he becomes psychotic and adopts the personality of a serial killer.

Later levels contain horrific scenes, as Mantis becomes a freelance psychic, doing sickening acts to the victims of the highest bidder. As well as becoming more and more psychologically terrifying, levels become harder and force the player to think about their strategy to get through the level and complete objectives.

The game finally allows players to see what drove Psycho Mantis to madness and play through a hidden chapter in Metal Gear Solid history.

__________________________________________________ _____________

I just hope that the judges have played Metal Gear Solid, or this submission is going to go against me. Good luck to all!
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #28
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253
Default Space Invaders: The Second Wave

Well, here's my entry; a rather busy weekend has me submitting fairly late, which is unusual for me. I went slightly over the 500 word limit (by about 50 words), but I figure it's ok to go over just a little, which was discussed in the last challenge's thread. I don't intend to make a habit of it, but I needed a little extra room to flesh things out. And to think I was actually proud with how un-complicated this idea was supposed to be!

Anyway, here's my submission, taking the cannon-fodder enemies of an arcade classic and giving them an action/strategy setting and a chance for revenge.

-------------------------------------------
Space Invaders: The Second Wave
30 years ago, our primary invasion force arrived at the distant planet known as Earth. Despite our superior numbers and advanced technology, the unevolved apes that inhabited this world were somehow able to defeat our forces.

Our people have at last consumed all the resources of our current homeworld, and despite the failure of the first wave to ensure a smooth transition, we have begun the 74th Great Migration. We will scour these ‘Humans’ from the face of our new home and breathe new life into our unending empire. The invasion has begun!

The Second Wave is a strategy / arcade shooter set in the world of Space Invaders and designed specifically with touch-screen devices in mind. The player assumes the role of the invaders who must invade new worlds to support their rampant overpopulation. Though mankind was successful in stopping the initial attack, the entire alien empire is now in orbit and ready to take control of Earth.

Play begins at the Global Survey screen, a randomly generated hexagon-based map. Each hexagon is a landing zone that players can invade; in order to win the game they must control the entire map. There are 5 different zone types, each with a different number of bunkers and tanks to fight, but the more heavily defended a zone is, the more resources they reward once captured.

Resources are used to build or replace lost invaders or unleash special attacks against the Earthlings rather than invade directly. Players can choose from a Death Ray (gain control of a zone, but lose its resources), Monster Attack (smashes all of the defensive bunkers in that zone) or Force Field (prevents the Humans from reclaiming a zone).

Once you’ve picked a zone to invade, you move to the Formation screen. Here, players build three formations comprised of 8 invaders and 1 commander each. There are 5 different invader types to choose from, each with a special trait, from armored invaders that require two shots to defeat to kamikaze invaders. Commanders function like regular invaders, but have special abilities players can use once per battle. From a powerful bunker-buster shot to providing personal force fields for their troops, commanders can greatly enhance an otherwise average force.

Once a formation is built, Battle begins! Players control the three lowest invaders in a single formation, and fire by simply tapping the icons at the bottom of the screen. Each shot, however, drains the Power Gauge, which refills quickly but prevents the player from rapidly firing. To use the commander’s special ability, players need only tap his icon (which is crossed out once used). Similarly, players can switch which formation they control by simply touching it.

Once the player has defeated all of the human tanks on the screen, he captures the zone, gains its resources and returns to the Global Survey screen. Now the Humans’ turn begins; though they cannot attack a zone that was just won, they can strike at any zone adjacent to one they control. When defending a zone from the humans, players control a tank (similar to classic Space Invaders) and must shoot down slow-falling bombs dropped from the sky. If a bomb reaches the ground, the zone returns to control of the Humans and the invaders’ turn begins again.

The game ends when the player runs out of resources or conquers the world!
-------------------------------------------

Be sure to let me know what you think (though there's not much time for the feedback to do any good, sadly). Thanks for reading.
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #29
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

Nice entry Retro, I'm glad that you live up to your username. I had a similar idea for a module at University. We had to create a simple space invaders game using Macromedia Director and then take what we had learnt and expand on it to create a new game. I had this idea to have space invaders, but where you play as the invaders, but I decided to go in a different direction and made this instead. If I had made it, I'm sure I would not have done it as much justice as you have. Great Ideas!
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #30
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious Stu View Post
Nice entry Retro, I'm glad that you live up to your username. I had a similar idea for a module at University. We had to create a simple space invaders game using Macromedia Director and then take what we had learnt and expand on it to create a new game. I had this idea to have space invaders, but where you play as the invaders, but I decided to go in a different direction and made this instead. If I had made it, I'm sure I would not have done it as much justice as you have. Great Ideas!
At least you made something out of your project, whereas mine will probably languish in the Hell of Undeveloped Ideas (down the block from Development Hell, around the corner from the Hell of Missed Opportunities.) And a fun little game it turned out to be.

Thank you for the compliments, and yes; I try to learn as much as I can from the classic games I grew up with, before you could have 5 billion polygons and Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound and Light Blooms and a budget that rivals the net worth of developing nations.... When you had a handful of memory, 4 colors, and had to make something that ate quarters like a World of Warcraft player eats Cheetos (I have first hand experience with this rampant orange-fingered phenomenon).

And honestly, a lot of the old games are a lot more fun than some of the garbage that's being released now.

/rant.

Thanks for reading it, I hope it places... two honorable mentions in a row, maybe third time lucky?

Last edited by Retro : 09-15-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Removed a random series of words that turned out to be the exact sequence needed to open a gate to hell. Disaster Averted!
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote