Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
JohnsonM

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss53
Default Mac with Windows, or PC

So my wife wants a Mac and I want a PC. We both need a computer but it's too expensive to get 2 computers. Do you think it would be worth it for me to just get the Mac and install Windows and do all of my "Game Developing" from there? Or should I still try and get a PC?
JohnsonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

As much as I love Macs, if you are on a budget then buying a standard PC is your best bet.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Isn't Mac just a different operating system...on a PC?

Anyway, back on topic; so it is too expensive to get both as independent machines. Within this constraint you either need to allow your partner to lose out and get a PC with the Windows operating system, or to "dual boot" a single PC with both operating systems.

Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible (unless of course you have technical savvy) to install a Mac operating system on a "regular" store purchased PC. Although fundamentally the hardware is pretty much the same, Apple have some strange licensing systems, perform some sort of wizardry on the integrated circuits inside their machines, and hardware manufacturers tend not to release drivers for the Mac operating system if Apple arn't using their product. However, you don't really need to worry about that...just that it proberbly won't work unless you know what you're doing!

If more modern versions of Mac are more forgiving, then feel free to correct me. However, I've stuck with Windows, Ubuntu and Fedora for quite a while now (and technically Knoppix for helping people with "broken" PCs) so I don't know much about modern Apple products.

However, from what I understand, it is pretty straight forward for lucky Apple fans to install a Windows operating system on an Apple PC using Boot Camp. I don't know what the implications are, but it look's like it creates a seperate partition so Windows should be completely stand-alone!

If your partner is really fussy about using Mac, then I definitely reccomend consulting someone at your local Apple store to see whether Boot Camp is an option for you. Furthermore, you could always save up and purchase a PC later down the line if neccessary! However, the reverse is also true, so if money is tight - cheap Windows now, expensive Mac later!

Last edited by Adrir : 09-11-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Actually, installing OSX on a non-Mac is relatively easy with the right hardware. Google Hackintosh.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Actually, installing OSX on a non-Mac is relatively easy with the right hardware. Google Hackintosh.
Thanks for sharing that!

It looks interesting - yeah, that does look more straightforward than I thought. Just change a few BIOS settings, remove some code from an ISO, and dig up some drivers!

Last edited by Adrir : 09-12-2009 at 05:25 AM.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
JohnsonM

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss53

It's not as much of an issue about getting just one computer...the issue is with getting 2 computers. My wife is a little fussy about getting a Mac, and she actually needs another computer really bad. I guess what I'm really asking is, would it be ok to run level editors and such through Windows on a Mac if I get one, or will I just be better off getting a PC?
JohnsonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Running Windows on an Apple PC is exactly the same as running Windows on a non-Apple PC. Use dual-boot to get the best of both worlds if you can only afford a single PC.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Monkeh

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss58

This may seem like an extravagance right now, but you may very seriously want a dual monitor setup. If you have an old monitor laying around hook it in to the other video port on the back of the video card. It makes a world of difference when you're dealing with 4 render windows, an asset window and a tutorial all at the same time.
Monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Am I greedy?
Old 09-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Monkeh

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss58

I'm jealous. I moved across country and didn't have room in my car for the CRT. I'm stuck with one monitor for now, and missing my other one.
Monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote