iBirdsniper
De-Registered User

Activity Longevity
0/20 0/20
Today Posts
0/0 sssssssss
Default Hello! Please Help!

Hello All,

I am new to these forums and i have discovered some onteresting things about this forum and the information that the site provides. First, i would like to ask that you please help me by giving me extra resources on c++/ or C# and the many fields of programming as i am not yet sure on what field of programming is for me. Secondly, I am a Junior in High school(Never too early to get started).I Have begun to study c++/ over this past summer. I am fairly decent in the subject, but i do need help. I am aslo confused about the subjects i need to take now and in college.

Are there any classes i can take after school or during the summer that could teach me the programming languages?

What are the classes i can take now to help my chances in getting a job in Game Programming?

Thanks in advance,
Gary
Old 09-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Monkeh

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss58

I'd talk to your school counselor about getting set up in some extracurricular programming activities.

The internet is a great resource for all types of information. It would probably be good practice for you to fire up a search engine and figure out a good c++ tutorial site for yourself. You need to start learning how to teach yourself, and as you've said, it's never too early to start.
Monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
jose2090

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

First of all you should buy a book to study. Personally I recommend you to study Java instead of C/C++ why?? well it has more variaty in terms of graphics interface etc (somethin Im sure you are interested in). Its good..like you said is never too early to start.

If you wanna know about Java find information about Eclipse (wich is probably the best programa that uses Java lenguage). Im kind of new in this too, Im studying Systems eng =) hope this helps!! XD

Last edited by jose2090 : 09-19-2009 at 07:48 AM.
jose2090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
jwalters

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss142

iBirdSniper, I think you're off to a great start. C++ is the industry standard, and I would suggest you learn one pretty solid before tackling others at this early stage in your development. You should check to see if your school offers any programming courses, or consider post-secondary where you can attend college early (if you're that ambitious). Otherwise you should be able to get a solid foundation in your college courses. Using books right now (e.g. Thinking in C++ and Game Coding Complete) may be your best bet for starting out. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

Programming is only going to be learned through hours and hours of practice. Reading books and learning the ropes is of course important, but you won't retain any information (you also won't be able to think creatively) without spending a lot of time simply programming and messing with what you learn.

For someone to make a book called "teach yourself C++ in 1 hr. a day" is kindof a sad joke.

Granted, I've never read this book, but the title is quite contradictory.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Monkeh

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooch View Post
For someone to make a book called "teach yourself C++ in 1 hr. a day" is kindof a sad joke.
I don't know, it depends on how many 1 hour days you're going to spend learning.
Monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
JonoYeong

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

I'd rather find a book with multiple C++ problems and their solutions...practice makes perfect as they say.
JonoYeong is offline   Reply With Quote