Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Programming
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Jakester8908

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12
Location: I live in California, USA. I live in a city that's in between Sacramento & San Francisco (Vacaville)
Default Computer Science major question

First of all Im a community college student about to apply for transfer. Im planning on going for a Computer Science major (BS to be exact) so I can get in the video game industry. As I was looking into schools that have computer science degrees some schools require CS majors to go for a specific field like Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, etc while other schools allow students to go for Computer Science. Before I make a decision on what schools to apply for I have at least a couple of questions:
1) Am I better off just going for Computer Science or in more specific area of Computer Science?
2) If recommended for specific areas, what areas will be good for me to get into video gaming industry?

Anything will be appreciated. Thank you guys for your time to read this and answer this!
Jakester8908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

Didn't you already ask this question and get it answered? Or am I confusing you with someone else?
Just get the CS degree. If you want to specialize in a narrow part of CS, and/or have an unrelated or semi-related minor, just do it!
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson25.htm -- How to choose a college/university
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson34.htm -- How to choose a degree
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson44.htm -- Regular college vs. game school
http://www.igda.org/columns/gamesgam...game_Jun09.php -- More about regular college vs. game school
http://www.igda.org/columns/gamesgam...game_Jul09.php -- And still more about regular college vs. game school

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Jakester8908

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12
Location: I live in California, USA. I live in a city that's in between Sacramento & San Francisco (Vacaville)

Its not that your question confused me because I asked if I should continue to go for Game Design or Computer Science and later I decided that Id be better off with computer science (in fact I like the idea of being more flexible with gaming industries as well as computer tech industries like Dell or HP) but its just that i really need to pursue my dreams in working for the gaming industry at the angle that will work best for me.
Jakester8908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

Okay.

I'm not allowed by the forum system to just say "okay" so I'm also adding this sentence.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:53 AM   #5
solarnoise

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21

I'm going to interject here even though I'm not a "pro" or a senior member, but I think I know a better way to answer TC's question

I, too, recently transferred from a community college to a university, and noticed the variants in CS degrees, even if they were all accredited by the same group.

Here are my thoughts on the concentrations:

Software engineering - hugely valuable as a programmer, and from what I've learned from my own work experience and from my profs who came from the game industry, this is a valuable area if you're going to be working in games. Software Engineering is about modularity and efficiency. For the class at my college, students are broken up into teams, with each team designing and programming one part of an overall program. In the end all the teams comes together and, if they designed their program well enough, all the bits and pieces will work together. They use an object-oriented approach for this. As a software engineer, you will most likely always be programming one part of a great whole, so this concentration is highly valuable to you as a computer scientist and/or game developer.

Computer engineering - not my personal area of preference, but valuable nonetheless. Computer engineering mixes computer science with electrical engineering. You will be working at the low level (machine level), working with digital circuits, logic gates, etc. Unless you think you'd rather be working on hardware, or really like working in Assembly, I would probably go for more of a general CS degree, or software engineering concentration.

So...

Yes, there are options. Some schools I've seen offered a BS in Computer Science, where you would then choose your electives based on your area of interest. other schools actually have different degrees for different specialties. I think your very best bet is to find a CS degree that is as broad as possible, something that gives you a taste of everything, and still allows for some electives in an area that interests you, in which case I would highly recommend you look at Software Engineering, computer architecture, operating systems, or even graphics programming. Any of these areas will only help you as a game developer =)
solarnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
rkurata

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss24

If you are interested in hardware then computer engineering is good otherwise stick to just computer science.