Get the latest Education e-news

Old 10-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
nitramssirc

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Post Portfolio feedback

I'm currently an unemployed web developer looking to get into the game industry. I've been working on and off on the side on game development projects over the years and have built up what I think is a respectable portfolio.

I've tried to apply to game studios in the past, but haven't had very much luck to date with getting any call backs. I attended the Game Career Seminar at GDC Austin last month and tried to mold my portfolio using their guidelines by making it more professional and easy to navigate.

I just wanted to see if I could get some feedback to see if the changes I've made make me a more competitive applicant. I'm also starting work on another game that I hope to add to the portfolio, but it's not ready for posting yet.

Here are links to my old portfolio and my redesigned, more professional portfolio:

Old: zombiebeerrun.com
New: crissmartin.com

Any comments would be appreciated. I want to be criticized.
nitramssirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

In some ways, I quite like the old one better apart from the domain name, bright yellow and Times New Roman font.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
nitramssirc

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Smile

I had a feeling the look and feel of the old one was pretty solid, but definitely needed a domain name change. I may put together a hybrid and see what it looks like. Are there any other areas that the new version improves on layout wise besides the domain name?

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
nitramssirc

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

I just uploaded my "hybrid" site to http://crissmartin.com . It has the look and feel of the old site, but has the new site title, the bright yellow links have been dialed back, and the site uses arial for all the font.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
ndimucci

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Personally, I liked how on the old portfolio site I was able to read some sample code without having to download anything. I would definitely add that back into your new portfolio.

A+ for having projects completely independent of your school work. This is a great indicator that you truly have passion, interest and all that good stuff towards your craft and game development.

Also, reformat your resume so that everything fits on one page.

Regarding GDC, did you network with any industry professionals while attending?

Last edited by ndimucci : 10-15-2009 at 08:26 AM.
ndimucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Mitch_NR

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Broken link: 3DMaze.zip download

I really like the fact that you have many complete games, and that you have both images and videos of them.

The only thing I can find that's missing is your focus. Are you interested in being a gameplay programmer? Perhaps you should point that out, so that your potential employer sees what your career goal is.
Mitch_NR is offline   Reply With Quote