Get the latest Education e-news

Old 08-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
hyawatha15

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default Important Question

Are game companies more interested in diplomas or a certificate, but with a really good portfolio? I mean, if you can prove to them that you are good at things with game design, why would a person need a diploma.. am I right?
hyawatha15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:47 AM   #2
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default Diploma, certificate, or nothing?

That's a good question, but there isn't a straightforward answer. Different companies are looking to hire different people for different reasons. For example, a degree graduate from a game-specific institution probably has a good shot at getting a job at a large company where they are looking to hire people with specific job-related skills.

However, small companies don't always appreciate game-specific education; they need Jack-or-Jill of all Trades people who have a wide variety of knowledge and problem-solving abilities. They're interested in your personality, your creativity and talent, and your absolute love of the project. If you're the right candidate for the job, they'll help you learn the software if you're not up to snuff with it.

Another benefit of attending a game-specific institution, though, is that they can hook you up with jobs through the career office pretty easily. That's what their career counselors are paid to do. On the other hand, I recently met some developers in New York who said they actively recruit from non-game schools in the area, but schools that have technology and interactivity as part of their courses, including Parsons School of Design, SVA, and Pratt. They said they attend the internship and job fairs and just look for talented people who like games.

I know it's a long answer, but that's the way it is. It also comes down to your personal learning style, your goals in life (is getting a job the most important thing to you?), and your financial situation.

As an aside, I've created a Facebook group for GameCareerGuide.com readers. Feel free to join!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4112391863
Old 08-23-2007, 06:26 AM   #3
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

See also, "Game Design Education Without a Game Design Major?" by Sally Huang
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu...sign_major.php
Old 08-25-2007, 04:43 AM   #4
hyawatha15

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Thanks for the reply. I joined the group and I'm going to check the link u posted now.
hyawatha15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Sweet I joined the group.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote