Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Pupil

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12
Default Is this enough and Secondary Education.

I want to get into game design and have began drawing maps and concepts for games since I was 11. I have been gaming since I was 6 and can easily tell why a designer chose to do something in a game. I have about 6 or 7binders filled ideas- many thorough and original in my opinion- but I know just ideas on paper don't do much in helping you get a job. So, since June, I've been gathering and leading team members over the internet to make a WWII Tactical RPG with RPGMaker VX. Since it's such a novice program will people just laugh at me when I present the game to them during an interview? I also began making maps with the Source SDK for the FPS Team Fortress 2.

I keep up with the game industry daily and have read books on game design, animation and game development blogs like Sloperama (which makes me kind of depressed and nervous :P !).

Is this enough? What else can I do that'll help me get a job in game design? Furthermore, what degree would help me with game design? I know pretty much everything is useful when making a game but what will be worth while studying for 4 or more years? Would an English (I've been told I'm very talented in this regard) or Biology (probably not, but I'm very interested in this but aren't those guys from Bioware doctors?) help me? Should I just jump right into a job in game development out of high school? I kind of want to avoid working as a game tester or Q&A for a year or more.

I'm also average at math and have no idea what to do with code, so that's worrying me.

And if it matters, I'm 16 and in Gr.11 right now.

Last edited by Pupil : 11-06-2009 at 02:10 PM. Reason: adding more
Pupil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1849

Hello Pup, you wrote:

>I've [made] a [game] with RPGMaker VX. Since it's such a novice program will people just laugh at me when I present the game to them during an interview?
>And if it matters, I'm 16 and in Gr.11 right now.

Nobody can know what will happen. Nobody can foretell your future. But I'm guessing that when you are ready to interview, six years from now, you will have made more and better demos for your portfolio.

>I also began making maps with the Source SDK for the FPS Team Fortress 2.

Good. Keep doing that kind of thing.

>Sloperama … makes me kind of depressed and nervous :P !).

Say hello to the boogeyman, then! (^_^)

>Is this enough?

Go back to Sloperama and read article 49.

>What else can I do that'll help me get a job in game design?

Go back to Sloperama and read article 12.

>Furthermore, what degree would help me with game design?

Go back to Sloperama and read article 3. What's going on, why is it that every question is something you say you've already read the answer to?

>what will be worth while studying for 4 or more years?

That's for YOU to decide. On Sloperama, read articles 66 and 34.

>Would an English (I've been told I'm very talented in this regard)

Awesome! Go for it, if you want to.

>or Biology (probably not, but I'm very interested in this

Then why would you want somebody to tell you to ignore this passion of yours? Read http://www.igda.org/games-game-november-2005 and choose YOUR OWN yellow brick road. Don't ask other people to tell you what road you should take.

>Should I just jump right into a job in game development out of high school?

NO. Go to college.

>I kind of want to avoid working as a game tester or Q&A for a year or more.

Stop wasting time thinking about what you DON'T want.

>I'm also average at math and have no idea what to do with code, so that's worrying me.

Go back to Sloperama and read article 47. There's a whole section on fear. Read it!

Oh. By the way, before I forget… BOO!

Heh.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
Oh. By the way, before I forget… BOO!
That's supposed to say ROAR!
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1849

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
That's supposed to say ROAR!
Is that what a boogeyman says? Maybe west coast boogeymen. East coast boogeymen say "boo."

Old 11-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Nah, that can't be it, I'm in Philly, and they do, in fact, say boo. You're a Tyrannosaur though, remember?

Wait, can you be a Boogey-Tyrannosaur? Nah, that's not right, then everybody giggles because they're mentally picturing a T-rex disco dancing. Ok, we need to have a meeting about what to call you, this current state of affairs will not do.

Last edited by Retro : 11-07-2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Edit? What edit? There was no edit. These aren't the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1849
Angry

Heh. But yeah I was right about the east coast boogeymen (I grew up in the east).
Note: frownyface icon above = boogeyman

Old 11-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

In the midwest, where I grew up, the Boogeymen said "Moo"... or was that the Boogey-cows? Have you ever seen a cow boogey? That's one mean milkshake.

Sorry to have steered the conversation in this udderly useless direction, but it's pretty rare we get to poke fun at Tom, and that's no bull.

In response to the OP, not sure if it's mentioned in one of the links Sloper provided, but if you're good at English and think you'd do well, I would honestly consider that. Strong communication skills and a certain level of comfort with extensive writing are definitely pluses in my book.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
Nah, that can't be it, I'm in Philly,
You are in Philly?!?!?! I'm in Philly, do you come to IGDA meetings? How the heck have we not met, I'm disappointed in myself.

And Tom, you are the man :P
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshonk View Post
You are in Philly?!?!?! I'm in Philly, do you come to IGDA meetings? How the heck have we not met, I'm disappointed in myself.

And Tom, you are the man :P
1. South of Philly, in Delaware. Moved out here on an offer from a friend of mine, thought I'd be close enough to casually visit Philly, but... well, you live here, you know how traffic is coming from the south (or anywhere, really). Plus, my vehicle pretty much crapped out on my on the way out here. Good times.

2. No, I've been wanting to get to meetings for a while, and it would be the smartest move I (or anyone, that's good advice, people!) could make at this point. But, as I said, I lack reliable transportation and DE is too far for somebody to come pick me up 'on the way'. I've also been out of a job (and relying on the mercy of the aforementioned friend), which makes it hard to contribute towards gas.

3. I noticed you were in Philly from the brief attempt at a GCG Forum Project, but in all honesty, my standing is a bit wobbly and that makes it hard to jump in with both feet (and yes, that's exactly what it takes to get anywhere in the world, which is why I know I'm not ready yet). By establishing myself as being near you, I'd have expectations for myself that wouldn't be able to meet, and I respect you guys enough not to waste your time (yet). Maybe a little silly, but I didn't want to say "Here I am!" without being able to... back it up.

That said, when things improve next year (a good first step would be finding a decent job), hopefully I'll be dropping in on meetings. I'll be the exceptionally quiet guy in the back who's first words will likely be a terrible pun

Last edited by Retro : 11-07-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #10
Pupil

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss12

Only read some of the blog and it was one or two years ago. And thanks for the advice and info on the boogeyman guys. :P
Pupil is offline   Reply With Quote