Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Husky2449

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17
Default question job opportunities and locations

i ll probaly go to study at IADT but there are many campus locations and i am not sure where i should go.
the location arerlando/tampa[FL],detroit[MI],seattle[WA]

what i would like to know is at which of those locations have more game studios therefore there are more jobs. i would prefer not to move after finishing the academy, thats why i ask.
Husky2449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

I can't give you exact numbers, but I'd say Seattle is your absolute best bet out of the three listed. Orlando second, Detroit third.

In general, you'll find the order is West Coast > East Coast > Midwest.
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1890
Default Maps showing locations of game companies

http://www.gameindustrymap.com
http://www.gamedevmap.com

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
I can't give you exact numbers, but I'd say Seattle is your absolute best bet out of the three listed. Orlando second, Detroit third.

In general, you'll find the order is West Coast > East Coast > Midwest.
Wait, how would Detroit be third? I'm actually interested cause I live very close to Detroit... (Sadly)
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky89 View Post
Wait, how would Detroit be third? I'm actually interested cause I live very close to Detroit... (Sadly)
Not the third best city for job opportunities, just the third out of the three locations he listed. The only one that springs to mind for me is Stardock in Plymouth, though I wasn't really digging too deeply when I replied. I was mostly just using common sense; the Nidwest isn't exactly the 'happening' spot for game development, though I guess you could lump Austin in there.... they're not doing too bad.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1890

Quote:
Look up Detroit companies here:
Then consider leaving Detroit.
Or starting your own company. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
Look up Detroit companies here:
Then consider leaving Detroit.

You know, normally I would say "That's a bit harsh, don't you think?" But it really is true; I myself realized I was never going to get a game design job where I used to live (Indiana), and out of my options Philadelphia would at least be a step up.

There's actually a lot of people here (and in nearby Baltimore) who are trying to get things going, and we actually just had our own gaming convention (and surprise, it wasn't in somebody's basement). The local IGDA chapter is also really close knit and friendly, though I regrettably haven't been able to attend any events yet.

Even though I'm not in a position to return to school or able to focus all of my efforts on getting into the industry, at least I can say that when I am ready, there will be resources nearby. That's a lot more than I can say with where I used to live, so... by all means, as if there was any doubt; listen to the Sloper. The Sloper is good, the Sloper is wise.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Hey Retro,

I'm in D.C. Maybe our paths will cross someday...
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post

You know, normally I would say "That's a bit harsh, don't you think?" But it really is true; I myself realized I was never going to get a game design job where I used to live (Indiana), and out of my options Philadelphia would at least be a step up.

There's actually a lot of people here (and in nearby Baltimore) who are trying to get things going, and we actually just had our own gaming convention (and surprise, it wasn't in somebody's basement). The local IGDA chapter is also really close knit and friendly, though I regrettably haven't been able to attend any events yet.

Even though I'm not in a position to return to school or able to focus all of my efforts on getting into the industry, at least I can say that when I am ready, there will be resources nearby. That's a lot more than I can say with where I used to live, so... by all means, as if there was any doubt; listen to the Sloper. The Sloper is good, the Sloper is wise.

*Sigh* Yeah... I know... I'm just sad cause I know that eventually, I'm going to have to leave Michigan. I mean, I hate the city of Detroit it's self and live in the "Metro Detroit" area, but I also realize that I'm not going to make a living as a game designer if I stay here. Still though, I'll miss my family and friends when I do take off one day.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
*Sigh* Yeah... I know... I'm just sad cause I know that eventually, I'm going to have to leave Michigan. I mean, I hate the city of Detroit it's self and live in the "Metro Detroit" area, but I also realize that I'm not going to make a living as a game designer if I stay here. Still though, I'll miss my family and friends when I do take off one day.
It's not an easy decision, I know. I had a hard time doing it myself, but it really is part of growing up, and that's just the cost of following your own road.

- You can work at some terrible job that you hate, and spend your weekends complaining to your family. You'll likely be unhappy, and your family will know it.

- You can move away, get a job you enjoy, and fly back often on the holidays. You'll see your family less, but they'll know you're happy and be proud of your accomplishments.