Get the latest Education e-news
 

Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Husky2449
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17
Default question job opportunities and locations

i ll probaly go to study at IADT but there are many campus locations and i am not sure where i should go.
the location arerlando/tampa[FL],detroit[MI],seattle[WA]

what i would like to know is at which of those locations have more game studios therefore there are more jobs. i would prefer not to move after finishing the academy, thats why i ask.
Husky2449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
Retro
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253
Default

I can't give you exact numbers, but I'd say Seattle is your absolute best bet out of the three listed. Orlando second, Detroit third.

In general, you'll find the order is West Coast > East Coast > Midwest.
__________________
- Will Armstrong IV -
( Level 1 Game Designer )
Game Design Challenges: Winning Entries
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1890
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Default Maps showing locations of game companies

http://www.gameindustrymap.com
http://www.gamedevmap.com
__________________
Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done. www.sloperama.com

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Siberianhusky89
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156
Location: Sterling Height, Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
I can't give you exact numbers, but I'd say Seattle is your absolute best bet out of the three listed. Orlando second, Detroit third.

In general, you'll find the order is West Coast > East Coast > Midwest.
Wait, how would Detroit be third? I'm actually interested cause I live very close to Detroit... (Sadly)
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Retro
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky89 View Post
Wait, how would Detroit be third? I'm actually interested cause I live very close to Detroit... (Sadly)
Not the third best city for job opportunities, just the third out of the three locations he listed. The only one that springs to mind for me is Stardock in Plymouth, though I wasn't really digging too deeply when I replied. I was mostly just using common sense; the Nidwest isn't exactly the 'happening' spot for game development, though I guess you could lump Austin in there.... they're not doing too bad.
__________________
- Will Armstrong IV -
( Level 1 Game Designer )
Game Design Challenges: Winning Entries
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1890
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky89 View Post
Wait, how would Detroit be third? I'm actually interested cause I live very close to Detroit... (Sadly)
Look up Detroit companies here:
http://www.gameindustrymap.com
http://www.gamedevmap.com
Then consider leaving Detroit.
Or starting your own company. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm
__________________
Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done. www.sloperama.com

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
Retro
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
Look up Detroit companies here:
http://www.gameindustrymap.com
http://www.gamedevmap.com
Then consider leaving Detroit.


You know, normally I would say "That's a bit harsh, don't you think?" But it really is true; I myself realized I was never going to get a game design job where I used to live (Indiana), and out of my options Philadelphia would at least be a step up.

There's actually a lot of people here (and in nearby Baltimore) who are trying to get things going, and we actually just had our own gaming convention (and surprise, it wasn't in somebody's basement). The local IGDA chapter is also really close knit and friendly, though I regrettably haven't been able to attend any events yet.

Even though I'm not in a position to return to school or able to focus all of my efforts on getting into the industry, at least I can say that when I am ready, there will be resources nearby. That's a lot more than I can say with where I used to live, so... by all means, as if there was any doubt; listen to the Sloper. The Sloper is good, the Sloper is wise.
__________________
- Will Armstrong IV -
( Level 1 Game Designer )
Game Design Challenges: Winning Entries
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
bob
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297
Location: Washington, DC
Default

Hey Retro,

I'm in D.C. Maybe our paths will cross someday...
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
Siberianhusky89
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156
Location: Sterling Height, Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post


You know, normally I would say "That's a bit harsh, don't you think?" But it really is true; I myself realized I was never going to get a game design job where I used to live (Indiana), and out of my options Philadelphia would at least be a step up.

There's actually a lot of people here (and in nearby Baltimore) who are trying to get things going, and we actually just had our own gaming convention (and surprise, it wasn't in somebody's basement). The local IGDA chapter is also really close knit and friendly, though I regrettably haven't been able to attend any events yet.

Even though I'm not in a position to return to school or able to focus all of my efforts on getting into the industry, at least I can say that when I am ready, there will be resources nearby. That's a lot more than I can say with where I used to live, so... by all means, as if there was any doubt; listen to the Sloper. The Sloper is good, the Sloper is wise.

*Sigh* Yeah... I know... I'm just sad cause I know that eventually, I'm going to have to leave Michigan. I mean, I hate the city of Detroit it's self and live in the "Metro Detroit" area, but I also realize that I'm not going to make a living as a game designer if I stay here. Still though, I'll miss my family and friends when I do take off one day.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Retro
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky89 View Post
*Sigh* Yeah... I know... I'm just sad cause I know that eventually, I'm going to have to leave Michigan. I mean, I hate the city of Detroit it's self and live in the "Metro Detroit" area, but I also realize that I'm not going to make a living as a game designer if I stay here. Still though, I'll miss my family and friends when I do take off one day.
It's not an easy decision, I know. I had a hard time doing it myself, but it really is part of growing up, and that's just the cost of following your own road.

- You can work at some terrible job that you hate, and spend your weekends complaining to your family. You'll likely be unhappy, and your family will know it.

- You can move away, get a job you enjoy, and fly back often on the holidays. You'll see your family less, but they'll know you're happy and be proud of your accomplishments.
__________________
- Will Armstrong IV -
( Level 1 Game Designer )
Game Design Challenges: Winning Entries
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:20 PM.






UBM Tech