Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Programming
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
NinjaZeroEight

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss31

Wow, kapa89 I'm surprised you actually got help from tsloper, since all he did was answer your question with questions. In my opinion it's one of the most annoying things people can do. Obviously you don't/didn't know what would be a good idea to minor in or else you wouldn't be asking the question, so asking a question back to you about what you think would be a good idea to minor in is not exactly the best response.

I know exactly what tsloper was trying to do; he was trying to get you to figure it out for yourself and just minor in something you think would be fun or minor in something you find remotely interesting. But you wanted to know if there was something you could minor in that would complement your major in Computer Science and look good on your resume when you apply to video game studios. In my opinion, it doesn't matter. All that really matters is that you have a BSc in Computer Science. Most places require a BSc or equivalent, they aren't asking for you to have a specific minor. Just minor in something you have an interest in, whether that's math, psychology, art, philosophy, etc.
NinjaZeroEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
kapa89

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaZeroEight View Post
Wow, kapa89 I'm surprised you actually got help from tsloper, since all he did was answer your question with questions. In my opinion it's one of the most annoying things people can do. Obviously you don't/didn't know what would be a good idea to minor in or else you wouldn't be asking the question, so asking a question back to you about what you think would be a good idea to minor in is not exactly the best response.

I know exactly what tsloper was trying to do; he was trying to get you to figure it out for yourself and just minor in something you think would be fun or minor in something you find remotely interesting. But you wanted to know if there was something you could minor in that would complement your major in Computer Science and look good on your resume when you apply to video game studios. In my opinion, it doesn't matter. All that really matters is that you have a BSc in Computer Science. Most places require a BSc or equivalent, they aren't asking for you to have a specific minor. Just minor in something you have an interest in, whether that's math, psychology, art, philosophy, etc.

thanx a lot 4 ur response!..Does it matter for a game studio to see in my resume whether i graduated from a private university, a UC or a California State University?..or will they mostly consider my skills?
kapa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 AM   #13
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1460

Quote:
[...] all he did was answer your question with questions. In my opinion it's one of the most annoying things people can do.
Unless, of course, not enough information is provided to effectively answer the question.

Quote:
I know exactly what tsloper was trying to do; he was trying to get you to figure it out for yourself and just minor in something you think would be fun or minor in something you find remotely interesting.
Simply, follow your passions! Study what you want to.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
Zooch

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss186

College is about doing the research and figuring it out through information gleaned from statistics and facts and then sometimes supplemented with advice from other people. TSloper was trying to point him in the right direction (IE: figure it out!) before he imposed any of his own opinions and thoughts on the subject.

Your thought was that "it doesnt really matter". Kapa89 is probably going to need to obtain the answers to his question properly before fully understanding what you mean by "it doesn't really matter".

PS:
It mattered that I had a minor in business, since I run my own company. The information I picked up in those business classes is every bit as valuable as my programming or 3D skills. That said, I look at every detail of a candidate before hiring. It's a big gamble for an employer to hire someone; so yes it matters. This is of course my opinion, which would be in opposition to yours.
Zooch is offline   Reply With Quote