Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Liv96

Activity Longevity
0/20 4/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Could this be why some games don't use cinematic cutscenes?

I was playing legend of Zelda twilight princess the other day, and noticed just how much I liked the cool, cinematic cutscenes. I then went on to play some skyrim a little while later, and noticed how dissapointed I was that such an equally awesome game didn't take advantage of cinematic cutscenes

Then I thought: could the reason for this be because games like skyrim have customizable characters, while games like Zelda do not? I mean, does skyrim have no cutscenes or anything because that sort of thing isn't possible when players can customize their characters with hundreds of unique hair, skin, and face variations? Is it just too complicated for game designers to make this happen when there isn't any one, uncustomizable charcater that everyone is forced to play on?

Or, does this have nothing to do with skyrims lack of cutscenes? And if so, what do you think the real reason is behind why skyrim passed on the cool cutscenes that other games boast? Thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2267
Default Re: Could this be why some games don't use cinematic cutscenes?

Quote:
Then I thought: could the reason for this be because games like skyrim have customizable characters, while games like Zelda do not? I mean, does skyrim have no cutscenes or anything because that sort of thing isn't possible when players can customize their characters with hundreds of unique hair, skin, and face variations? Is it just too complicated for game designers to make this happen when there isn't any one, uncustomizable charcater that everyone is forced to play on?

Or, does this have nothing to do with skyrims lack of cutscenes?
Nothing to do with it.

I personally hate lengthy cutscenes. Metal Gear Solid 2 is massively guilty of this whereas Metroid Prime manages to tell a fantastic and engrossing story without long cutscenes and without voices.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

If they used the in game engine for the cutscenes, there would be no problem rendering any kind of character. Essentially they would just change the camera's position from behind your character to wherever it is in the cutscene.

I think the reason games don't use cutscenes is a design choice by the developers. I for one don't like cutscenes because I don't like control of my avatar being taken away from me.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
JinGaming

Activity Longevity
0/20 3/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss20

I don't think it has anything to do with customizing the character, maybe they just didn't like having cutscenes whatsoever (gamer requests). Also, I have seen games that have customizable characters and still has cutscenes. They have a bit of errors but things work out to be fine.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
SkooterinEb

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss49

I think in terms of a design perspective, that it is the difference between playing a character and being a character in the game. Skyrim is primarily played in first person to give a certain level of immersion. Taking away the controls from the player and forcing them to look at things from the designer's view would break the fourth wall established throughout the game.

I am not opposed to cinematic cut-scenes, but they have to be a conscious design choice about how you want to player to interact with the world (via immersing themselves in it or playing through a particular character) and how you want them to experience the story.
Closed Thread