Old 02-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
KoopahTroopah

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Question Finding a co-op

Hey guys,

I'm new here, one of the advisors at Drexel University recommended that I poke around gamasutra.com and this is where it lead me.

I'm a sophomore at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA, and I'm about to go on my first co-op. I'm majoring in Computer Science, but I'm two terms behind because I changed majors from Computer Engineering. Here we have a system where the university has several jobs that you can request interviews for, however none of the jobs they have listed give any real programming/game development experience. I think this is mainly because Philly is a dry spot for the video game industry.

Are there any smaller companies that would actually teach game development/c+ programming on the job? I've only taken 3 programming courses so far so I'm not very experienced, but I have basic knowledge of c+.

--edit--

Hey I just checked gamedevmaps and yeah PA is pretty much a dry spot, there are a couple companies that are a little more wide known but it seems to me that EVERYONE and their brothers want 3+ years at game development experience with one successful launch title for senior game devs. I'm starting to think that I'm a little early to the game and I have to get more experience/finish my school before I can start looking at jobs that actually interest me.

Last edited by KoopahTroopah : 02-01-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Looked at gamedevmaps or whatever that site is.
KoopahTroopah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Hey there, welcome to the forum!

I live and work at a games company in Philly, and I don't know of any studios in the area that offer an internship like you are looking for. I agree with you that you might be looking a bit to early. At the same time feel free to come out to any of the local IGDA meetings and meet some of the local developers
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
jwalters

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss142

Seeking an internship is a great idea, but like Grant said, be sure to attend IGDA meetings and also get to know your peers at school. You might know someone working at a company looking for interns. And you would definitely learn on the job, but don't expect them to teach you. You'll learn by doing and researching because you need it to get the job done.

Best of luck!
Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
KoopahTroopah

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks guys.
KoopahTroopah is offline   Reply With Quote