Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #11
Siberianhusky89

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

I LOVE Megaman Legends. I actually played and beat it with everything around a month ago. It was so much fun <3 Eherm. Anyhow, I have no idea what I'd choose, perhaps Mystical Ninja.
Siberianhusky89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:58 AM   #12
Nimrail

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

I think I'm going to choose between Messiah, Vietcong and Vampire Bloodlines. All masterpieces I loved that didn't sell so much. What do you think?
Nimrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #13
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

A few little updates to show what direction I'm heading in. I'm basically re-envisioning Simon's Quest as a "Survival Horror Sidescroller", retaining the open world adventure aspects but putting emphasis on certain survival horror elements. For example...

-The character shifted to the extremes of the screen, rather than remaining centered. Enemies and traps appearing behind you are effectively out of sight, adding to the tension.

- When it's night or inside, it's actually pitch black over a good portion of the screen. Lighting elements are added to the game, including the use of a certain sub-weapon as a tool for the light it provides. Paired with the above concept, the feeling is intentionally claustrophobic.

- Sub weapons are retained in the inventory and can be changed on the fly, but have a limited number of uses before they must be recharged. Intended to make players carefully consider the use of each (ammo conservation element).

- Lots and lots and lots of traps. Not just illusionary floors, but lots of little nasty surprises around every corner. I can't recall any side-scrolling Survival Horror games, which means there's lots of ways to really play with the perspective as far as traps go.

- I'm looking at different ways of managing health to find one that fits the general theme. Something along the lines of the most recent Ninja Gaiden, where players auto-heal damage, but only to a certain point.

- This health system may also include a more tangible effect of the Curse. I have a few ideas on how I want to implement this, but what I am leaning towards now is, the curse grows stronger and the player must take certain actions to fight against it.

As the curse spreads, it causes adverse effects to Simon, such as slower auto-heal, lowered experience, and possibly even altered time cycles (the clock is artificially slowed during the night). It may also have benefits, but I haven't decided. It'd be cool to have Simon grow stronger as he 'turns to the dark side', so to speak, but I feel like having a 'power mode' has kind of become a gimmick. We'll see.

Last edited by Retro : 02-09-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Retro,

I really like the idea of a 2d, side-scrolling horror game. While it seems not quite as terrifying as a game like Resident Evil, I think the suspense could be awesome. Still, I wish I'd played this game. I'd never even heard of Simon's Quest before now.

I'm still having trouble thinking of a game that was ahead of its time.

And thanks for the kind words in the thread from the last challenge.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Retro,

I really like the idea of a 2d, side-scrolling horror game. While it seems not quite as terrifying as a game like Resident Evil, I think the suspense could be awesome.
The big thing that I am taking away from the side view is that the field of vision is inherently limited by the perspective; there are no long hallways to look down or enemies to anticipate. It keeps you kind of 'in the moment'.

Shifting the character from the center to the edge of the screen also keeps things claustrophobic; you can't see what's happening behind you. The level of darkness also adds to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Still, I wish I'd played this game. I'd never even heard of Simon's Quest before now.
It's the black sheep of the Castlevania series. An awkward translation, some insanely obscure clues, and a radical shift from platformer to adventure/rpg didn't help. Still, I played the heck out of it as a kid, even if I wasn't good at it. Out of all the Castlevania games though, it had the most potential to be horror-oriented just because... well, you could die just about anywhere at any time.

Last edited by Retro : 02-15-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #16
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243
Default Herzog Drei

Simon's (New) Quest looks great!

I'm toying with the idea of bringing back the old strategy game, Herzog Zwei. I loved it at the time, but I don't think it ever really picked up with the crowd, as the RTS theme really had to wait for Dune II to explode into its own. A scan through the archived reviews of the game at the time suggests it was either loved or hated.

Does anyone remember if Herzog Zwei was ever popular with the gaming community?

For those who haven't heard of it, Herzog Zwei was one of the first attempt at an RTS. It involved futuristic armies clashing against each other, led by a Commander unit, which the player embodied. The Commander was a large mecha which could transform into an aircraft to engage into aerial combat as well as transport friendly troops forward to rapidly re-deploy forces to new positions.

I think a re-make which sees the game move into the 3D realm, pitting massive armies against each other in epic clashes, much like the Supreme Commander series. The difference is that the player can control his Commander unit either in the typical RTS fashion or choose to hop right into the battle in a FPS / Mecha / Fighter simulation mode.

Each mode has separate advantages and disadvantages. In RTS mode, it is much easier to maintain awareness of the entire battlefield and to command your vast forces, but your Command unit will not be as effective in battle.

In FPS/Simulation mode, you personally take over the the Command Unit's control. This allows you to be much more effective in the immediate battle, maximizing the effect of your weapons and minimizing damage inflicted by the enemy because of the minute control you have over the unit's systems. However, it is much harder to control the larger battle effectively when you are focused at the tactical level.

The concept is akin to 1942:Pacific Air War Gold's carrier battle game mode, which strangely does not appear to have caught on, either. I'm not sure if there's anything more recent which uses this same concept, in which case I may want to seek out another way to update the game. Any thoughts?
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:22 AM   #17
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Retro,

The thing that most excited me about that entry was not being able to see anything behind you. I'm imagining it in a way that you would have a hard time killing the person behind you, and instead would be forced simply to run and stay ahead of them, which could create a huge amount of tension and excitement, where you're always terrified to slow down. Something like that... Anyway, good entry.

Kodiak,

I've never heard of either of those games. Having two distinct modes in your game is possible, though there's definitely a very delicate balance to be struck, because if players view one mode as better than the other, no one will ever use the other one. Of course, in a 500-word submission you don't really need to worry about that.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #18
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Kodiak,

Thanks, I'm really pleased with how it turned out (especially with the word count, I thought I'd have a lot of trouble getting it down).

As for Herzog Zwei... I remember seeing it at the local video store a few times, but I don't believe it ever caught my interest (back then my Genesis rentals were Sonic or Fighting games... ). Wikipedia says it was not well received "due to its lack of marketing, relatively early release on the Genesis platform, and non-arcade genre on what was considered an arcade game console."

It sounds interesting now though. A lot of people have tried the whole "RTS w/ individual troop control" thing before, but this sounds like the first (and a successful iteration no less). I say, go for it. I'd love to see the results.

Bob,

Thanks for the compliment, and that is the intention; you never know what's coming up behind you. Lots of traps, enemies, etc. would take advantage of that, and I've got a few planned... of course, there's no room in this entry, but one day I'd like to go through all my challenge notes and post them somewhere for people to see. I tend to generate a lot of extraneous material while designing, so it'd be nice to find a way to share that.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Sorry for the Double post.

Edit:I tried submitting my entry twice, and each time it has been returned.

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 554 554 5.7.1 <gamedesignchallenge@gamecareerguide.com>: Relay access denied (state 14).

If one of the admins could look into this it would be greatly appreciated!

--------------------------------------

Submitting my entry today, just a few tweaks to the wording to make things clearer and bring my word count down a bit. I also tweaked the images a little, nothing major.

I took the time to sit down and beat Simon's Quest today, something I had never gotten around to doing. I played it a lot when I was a kid (though I never got very far), and only a little over the years since. I figured it was finally time to see everything the game I've admired had to really offer.

I had to use save states, of course, to maintain my sanity; it's still an obscenely difficult game to muddle through. I only had to use a walkthru a handful of times (mostly just to find who sells/trades items).

With a better translation, a less obnoxious day/night transition, some type of rudimentary map, and a clearer clock (the in-game clock simply counts play time, without giving any indication as to when dawn/dusk is approaching)... the game could have been a lot better. I think my re-invention of the game highlights the subtle survival/horror elements that are already there, and would make playability easier.

I'm happy with the results of this one, can't wait to see what everyone else is working on.

Last edited by Retro : 02-15-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Retro,

You're not posting your entry?? We wanna see it!