Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Design
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #21
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

P.S. You may be finished, but I've finally decided on which game to use!
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #22
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Retro,

You're not posting your entry?? We wanna see it!
It's pretty much identical to what was posted above. I'll delete and re-post it since we're on a new page, though. I guess if I can't mail my entry in due to the server issues, I suppose having my entry posted in a stand-alone manner might count if I can get Cnutt to approve. Not sure what the mail issue is, but I'm 99% sure it's on their end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
P.S. You may be finished, but I've finally decided on which game to use!
Awesome, any hints or do we have to wait?

Last edited by Retro : 02-15-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #23
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Name: Will Armstrong IV
Entry Title: Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest

Long before the gaming world had heard of Koji Igarashi and his endless supply of “Metroid-vania” games, the Castlevania series had already tried a non-linear RPG/adventure in Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest. Many features, such as the open world and day/night cycle were ambitious for the time and as a result the game came out less than perfect… much to the ire of modern gamers.

The Quest… Revamped
5 years after defeating Lord Dracula, Simon Belmont must again wander the countryside of Transylvania, gathering the relics of his nemesis to lift the curse that has befallen him. Re-imagined as a “survival / horror platformer,” Simon’s Quest takes the relevant features of the original and expands upon them.

The perspective has been shifted to place the hero on the extremes of the screen rather than the center. Enemies and traps appearing behind you are out of sight, adding to the tension.

Speaking of traps, several new devious devices will keep players on their feet, taking every step as if it were their last. A number of puzzles have also been added to make each area more interesting and to support the adventure aspect of the game.

The sub-weapons now have their own independent ammo, and can now be used as both weapons and as tools (the flame can illuminate dark areas, for example). Non-weapon items must also be closely monitored; Simon can only carry a limited number of garlic, laurels, and healing items. Players will be able to find special items that boost their sub-weapon ammo and inventory space (like the silk bag from the original).

Transylvania at Large…

The original game world has been expanded and given a makeover; each town, mansion, forest and swamp has its own distinctive look. New regions, routes, mansions and secret passages also increase the scale of Transylvania. A liberal use of 3-D elements creates a twisting, turning landscape.

To make navigation easier, players can quickly travel using the rivers with the help of the Ferryman.

What a horrible night to have a curse…
The passage between day and night was one of the hallmarks of the original game, and this element has been expanded upon in this new vision. During the night, enemies grow stronger and the townsfolk become ghouls (as in the original), but now visibility is much more limited, creating a claustrophobic darkness. The candles and braziers that produce items also provide light; destroying them can quickly turn a room pitch black. Luckily, light-producing items have been added, but even these cannot completely banish the shadows.

Day and night is only part of the struggle, however. The Curse of Dracula now affects gameplay, having an on-screen gauge that represents the peril of Simon’s soul. As the gauge increases, nights grow longer, health regenerates slower, healing items become less effective, and Simon grows weaker. Some townsfolk will even banish Simon from their villages. Players can visit holy sites or use holy water to lower their curse gauge, and recover sacred texts to increase the gauge’s size, increasing the time it takes to fill.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Retro : 02-15-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #24
carstenseng1

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Alternative Submission

Since the email submission was not available for this challenge. I am posting this as an alternate submission for the design challenge.

Garret Carstensen
Flashpoint Academy Student
2/15/2010

A New Vision for Sword of Vermilion

Sword of Vermilion, developed and published by Sega in 1991, can be considered ahead of its time for incorporating elements of other genres into a console RPG. However, there are few options for character customization. I have developed the following list of modifications to update Sword of Vermilion while maintaining its original theme of high challenge and innovation.

Character Progression
  • Contain a character creation system to customize appearance of the player's character.
  • Allow character customization through skill trees and attributes. Progression would be based on use of the specific attributes.
  • Automate leveling, and hide attributes from the player's view to enhance immersion.
  • Include no numbers or HUD in the interface.
  • Update attributes when the player rests and show a dream sequence for feedback.
  • Feature different weapon types. These should include bows, axes, maces, and spears.
  • Place requirements for equipment and magic spells to force players to choose their role.
  • Include NPC companions. This will allow players to develop their hero for a certain role and still be able to handle a variety of challenges.

Camera System
Environment
  • The game should utilize a seamless world that combines combat directly with exploration.
  • To enhance immersion, thick vegetation, steep inclines, or water will limit mobility.
    • See environment image

Innovations within the theme of Sword of Vermilion
  • The original game included different styles into the RPG genre. A new version could include features from 3D platforming and other genres.
  • Allow players to climb trees and other structures as a hidden perch for archery or ambushes.
  • Climbing could also facilitate exploration similar to the Tomb Raider series.
  • Incorporate a wall-cover system for archery and stealth attacks.
  • Different types of characters will develop different platforming and exploration abilities. This will allow players to pass obstacles in different ways depending on their character type.
    • See Level_with_Multiple_Paths image
  • The most definitive feature of Sword of Vermilion is its high level of difficulty. With no fast-travel options, players are forced to embark on long journeys from which there is no easy escape. If resources become low or worse, the player's hero is poisoned, the player may find death imminent or barely crawl into town alive. This presents suspense and intensity that I fail to receive from recent RPG titles.
  • There should be very limited means of instant travel. The player may travel by carriage or by boat between some towns, but there should be no escape from the danger.
  • Certain enemies will poison the hero. Rather than simply applying damage for a short period of time, poison will slightly damage the player for a long period of time or indefinitely unless the player uses an antidote.
carstenseng1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #25
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136

Hey ...

Is anybody else having issues trying to submit entries? I'm looking into it!
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #26
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136

So... still in the process of investigating. Mails are bouncing. We'll have this resolved ASAP.

Sorry about that!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:35 AM   #27
jkavalier

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss31

Hi,

I sent my entry 10 hours ago, and no bounce.

cnutt, could you confirm that it arrived correctly? My name is Nacho Pintos.

Thanks!
jkavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #28
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136

Things appear to be resolved with the submission address. If you did receive an email bounce, please resubmit your entry.

jkavalier, your entry has been received.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #29
Kodiak

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss243

I didn't have time to post this on the forum before the end of the contest (though it did get mailed in on time, with no email bounce back.)

Herzog Drei

High Concept: Epic sci-fi RTS battles in which the player may turn the tide of conflict by personally engaging in combat in a first or third person perspective. Your actions can make the difference between victory and defeat in the midst of titanic clashes.

Original Game: This is a new vision for the game Herzog Zwei, which was one of the first RTS titles to be published. Released in 1989 for the Genesis, the game pitted armies led by giant transformable mecha against each other. The player commanded his armies and took control of his Command Unit from a top down view.

New Vision: Herzog Drei revisits the concept of personally commanding a unit in battle while immersing the player in a 3D game environment. The battlefields are expanded to include fleet battles raging across an entire star system. Games take place in two modes, which both have RTS and FPS components:

FLEET OPERATIONS: The player controls his forces in space, maneuvering them to protect his planets and invade his opponents'. In this mode, the player can control his fleets in a RTS perspective similar to the Homeworld series. He can transition to FPS perspective and dogfight his Command Unit within the larger fleet battles. Victory in space allows the player to land troops on the ground to engage in surface operations. Ensuring the survival of key spacecraft in orbit can provide advantages to ground combat such as orbital bombardments, and air strikes.

SURFACE OPERATIONS: The player commands his forces on the ground, maneuvering them to defeat his opponents' on the surface to take control of the planet. The player can fight from a RTS perspective, much as in Supreme Commander, or take personal action in battle with his Command Unit in FPS perspective. Victory on the surface yields strategic advantages for future Fleet and Surface operations, such as improved manufacturing, R&D, and troop recruitment.

RTS/FPS Cost/Benefit

In RTS perspective, it is easier to maintain awareness of the entire battlefield and to command your vast forces, but your Command Unit will not be as effective in battle.

In FPS perspective, you control the Command Unit. You are more effective in the immediate battle, maximizing the effect of your weapons and minimizing damage inflicted by the enemy. However, it is harder to control the larger battle effectively when you are focused at the tactical level.

Other Components

1. RPG: The player gains experience as a result of successful fleet and surface operations, as well as defeating enemies in RTS or FPS perspective. This will allow the player to unlock special abilities and improvements for his Command Unit or for other elements of his forces.

2. Unit Customization: Some space and surface-based locations such as ship yards, archaeological sites, and caches yield special technologies which the player may incorporate into his Command Unit, personalizing it to suit his needs. Some changes are cosmetic, while others will have a dramatic impact on the unit's performance.
Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #30
bob

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss297

Hey guys,

Here's my entry. http://docs.google.com/View?id=dd4tmdsd_66cd8dpdf4
bob is offline   Reply With Quote