Get the latest Education e-news

Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
turnernm

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Smile my portfolio

heyyy im mike! im a computer games grad from london aspiring to become a level designer. i finished my portfolio a while ago and i was wondering if you guys could give it a look and any feedback or advice would be awesome! thanks

portfolio

mike
turnernm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2264

Drawings on lined paper? Not exactly material for a portfolio.
Not enough details on your 3D and level work. Images are too small and I don't get to download and play the level. If you are doing Surfs then videos would be extremely useful.
Same again with programming, not enough detail.

Quote:
Later on I bought my own domain where I published and sold maps and reviewed all forms of map related material on HalfLife2/ CounterStrike:Source from DVD’s, to books, to websites.
Where is this site? How many did you publish? How many did you sell? Through what period?
Quote:
For Work Experience I worked in an E-Communications company. During that time I learnt the basics of programming, workflow/ project management and how an office is managed.
So what did you actually do? What did you program? How? Which workflow was used? How was it managed?
Quote:
What follows is mostly a list of applications I was introduced to during School, College, or University. I have used these applications and continue to use the majority of them in developing small projects.

* Macromedia Director, Dreamweaver
* Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, FrontPage
* Adobe Photoshop CS3, Illustrator CS3, Flash CS3
* Autodesk 3ds Max
* Source SDK, Hammer Editor

These are the languages I have learnt.

* C++, Visual Basic, Java, C#, HTML/ XHTML, PHP, MySQL, CSS, JavaScript, AS3
What have you used them in? Where can I see them? HTML, CSS and MySQL are not programming languages.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
turnernm

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

The site I sold maps on because I closed it and didn't back it up I guess i won't bother mentioning it.

I changed the work experience bit:
Quote:
In school I did work experience in an E-Communications company for two weeks. During that time I was asked to do some code maintenance in C++ and installed software onto computers as well as see how an office works.
For the last bit is this the kind of thing you meant? was a bit confused about what you said:
Quote:
|*Macromedia Director, Dreamweaver (I used Director to build the majority of the games at university and dreamweaver to build my website)
*Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, FrontPage (I used these in college in order to do letters, spreadsheets, charts, presentations, memos and create simple websites)
*Adobe Photoshop CS3, Illustrator CS3, Flash CS3 (I used photoshop and illustrator to make 2D textures for my university projects)
*Autodesk 3ds Max (I used this to make my 3D models for university projects)
*Source SDK, Hammer Editor (This is the map editor I used to make the maps for HL2/ CS:S)

These are the programming/ web languages I have learnt.

C++, Visual Basic, Java, C#, HTML/ XHTML, PHP, MySQL, CSS, JavaScript, AS3
Also thanks for the advice so far. Its been really helpful.
turnernm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1465

Looks okay, but I think you need to flesh out your projects section. Personally, I wouldn't go with lime green on grey/white as there isn't enough contrast.

MySQL is a database system, not a language. I think you mean SQL.

Last edited by Adrir : 02-12-2010 at 04:14 AM.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Architect

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

I think more, and larger in-level shots would be a lot more suited to this kind of portfolio.
Architect is offline   Reply With Quote