Old 02-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
norhild

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Question Choice between two very different 3-month projects

Hi everyone!

I'm currently a Game Programming Master student at Gamagora (Lyon - FRANCE). On Monday, we're having a 3-month group project with the rest of our promotion, including Level/Game Designers and Graphic Artist, which I found really great.

So, the thing is there's two I'm interested in, and I'm certainly having troubles choosing between them. Both projects have been chosen by a jury of pro's, IMO both are really good.

On one hand, there's a action-puzzle game, very original and interesting, using UDK. Here I'd be developing mainly gameplay parts, I think.

Its pro's are obviously the choice of UDK, which I find it'll be interesting in my portfolio, and the project's originality. The main point against this project is basically that in three months there's a big chance that we could only finish a demo. There's also the thing we might have troubles using UnrealScript, since we're no experts at all.

On the other side there's a really nice platformer, which will be made using AIR/Flash. I'd be responsible mainly of the in-game level editor.

The pro's are that we'll have a neat game developed in 1'5-2 months and then have time to polish it and having a really great result. So a real indie game. Its con's, I'd say that Flash isn't as cool in a CV/portfolio as UDK.

So, I'd like to have your opinions. What would be the best for a game programmer, having a cool complete game in Flash or a "hi-tech" game demo made using UDK?
norhild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1783

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhild View Post
1. there's two I'm interested in, and I'm certainly having troubles choosing between them.
2. both are really good.
3. What would be the best for a game programmer, having a cool complete game in Flash or a "hi-tech" game demo made using UDK?
1. http://sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm
2. Then either way you go is okay. You can't make a bad choice between them.
3. It depends.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1461

Which would you prefer to make?
Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
norhild

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

About the decision grid... Yeah, the thing is I tend to be too equitable, too fair, so I usually end up having the same result on that kind of things.

About which one I'd prefer to make, well, that's the point, maybe what I'd like to play the most (and I'm even not sure on that point either) is the Flash one, but you know, making it, I'm not sure. I think both of them are interesting enough to be considered.

I'd like to become a gameplay programmer, mostly, so on this side maybe the UDK one should be more interesting. But the in-game level editor it also has a great deal for me, since it's a thing I've thought a lot about too, so as I said, both are great choices and since I'm not sure where I'd apply for after this project, I'm not too sure whether I should go with the casual/web-oriented games or a more hardcore ones. But then, for this project, the thing is the UDK one in terms of game, is the most casual and the Flash project the most hardcore one, kinda ironic, isn't it?

Anyway, I'll keep thinking about it. I'll be waiting for other replies (thanks for being so fast, btw), and once I make up my mind I'll post my decision
Old 02-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1783

Quote:
About the decision grid... Yeah, the thing is I tend to be too equitable, too fair, so I usually end up having the same result on that kind of things.
Then flip a coin.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
norhild

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Yes, I'm probably doing that, since I still don't have a clue... I think it's not that hard, since both projects are OK.

But, when you said it depends, what did you mean? It depends on what, exactly? Thanks anyway
Old 02-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss2245

Quote:
What would be the best for a game programmer, having a cool complete game in Flash or a "hi-tech" game demo made using UDK?
'It depends' because if you are planning to do lots of Flash games in the online space, 'a cool complete game in Flash' is going to be 'better' then something done in UDK.

There can also be lots of other reasons why one is better then the other but it depends on the situation.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1783

Quote:
But, when you said it depends, what did you mean? It depends on what, exactly? Thanks anyway
It depends on what you mean by "best." You're welcome anyway lol rotflmao.

Last edited by tsloper : 02-27-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: changed "better" to "best"
Old 02-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
norhild

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
It depends on what you mean by "best." You're welcome anyway lol rotflmao.
Well, by best, I mean for a CV/portfolio/showcase, I know it'll depend on what kind of game programmer I'd like to become, maybe that's the point, that I'm not quite sure. I think a gameplay programmer would be my description. I'm absolutely sure I don't want to be a Graphic Programmer, nor Physics... Apart from that, I think I'd be good at that any other part (modesty aside). The thing is I'm not sure I'd like to become a Flash developer, even if at this point I prefer AS to UnrealScript.

To sum up: Which one would fit better in a Gameplay/Generalist programmer CV? A polished, complete Flash game or an UDK demo? I know again it'd depend but, you know, just in general...

(The thanks anyway, it was mostly because I didn't planned to post again till I made a choice ^^)
Old 02-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1783

Quote:
Well, by best, I mean for a CV/portfolio/showcase, I know it'll depend on what kind of game programmer I'd like to become, maybe that's the point, that I'm not quite sure.
Then flip a coin.
If you don't want to flip a coin, make a decision grid.
If you don't want to flip a coin or make a decision yourself, then wait and see if either of them invites you to join them.
By not deciding, you decide not to pursue this passion.