yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2272

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhild View Post
To sum up: Which one would fit better in a Gameplay/Generalist programmer CV? A polished, complete Flash game or an UDK demo? I know again it'd depend but, you know, just in general...
The one that shows your skills as a Gameplay programmer (which is in this case, either). A generalist programmer is not a role that exists as a job opening.

You are currently deciding on which technology to use, so far none of your concerns are technology based which really means either.

It's a group project so what are the rest of the group's thoughts on what to do? Are you planning to apply for studios that use the Unreal Engine? What about Flash?

If it was me in this situation, I would do the UDK demo as it is very commonly used in the industry so experience with the tools and Unreal Script would be useful. However, if I was in an area/country that has a lot of social or casual games companies, then the Flash experience is more useful.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #12
norhild

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

I think I'm getting a little bit annoying with the decision, but thanks again, I really appreciate your opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
The one that shows your skills as a Gameplay programmer (which is in this case, either). A generalist programmer is not a role that exists as a job opening.
Yeah, I know there's no such a role, but in smaller studios I think it happens really often, to have a guy capable of doing several roles. Anyway, for a gameplay I think the UDK project would fit better.

Quote:
You are currently deciding on which technology to use, so far none of your concerns are technology based which really means either.
Well, I think I feel more like Flash right now, since I've already done a couple of things, but I find UDK really interesting, even if the things I've done are just a couple of tests...

Quote:
It's a group project so what are the rest of the group's thoughts on what to do?
Both groups seems to be interested in me, and I don't think that choosing the project because of the group is a good idea, even if it is an important factor...

Quote:
Are you planning to apply for studios that use the Unreal Engine? What about Flash?
The thing is since we have to do an internship in order to get the degree, I think I'm applying for a wide range of studios. Also, since I'm applying almost right now, I think I won't be able to put this project on my portfolio for the internship. It's at the end of the project trimester when I'd be able to, so IMO it'll be more important the internship than this project to get a job afterwards, but anyway...

Well, the thing is I'd probably go for UDK, just because we're two interested in both projects, and I think I'd be able to adjust to UDK better than him (again, modesty aside ^^u). Personally, I think the best would be to share both of us the two projects, but I'm afraid that's not an option :P.

And again, thanks a lot for the insights!
norhild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
jwalters

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss142

Just to make it harder for you, I'm gonna say I would do the flash project. But I have a different reason; I would prefer to have a "completed" game on my portfolio, so that would be my primary motivation. If an incomplete demo is acceptable on your CV, or you simply have interest in learning UDK, then choose that project.

In the end it comes down to choosing which project you think will help you get closer to your main objective.

Good luck!
Old 02-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2272

Quote:
Both groups seems to be interested in me, and I don't think that choosing the project because of the group is a good idea, even if it is an important factor...
If that is the case, I choose the team is more likely to get work done regardless of the technology.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote