Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
cloverfield72989

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss10
Default Full Sail Questions and General Animation Question

I am looking for someone who has attended, has a friend who attended, or knows about Full Sail.

I am wondering whether or not I should apply for the Computer Animation or Game Art program. I eventually would like to work in Animation for videogames or film as a 3D animator, modeler, or lighting and shading, any of these related fields.

My main question is this one in Bold:
Do you have to be a good free hand artist to succeed as an animator or does it mostly rely on your knowledge of the software that your using (maya)

How much free hand drawing are in these programs?
Which program would you recommend and why? (I feel that computer animation broadens you to both the film and game industry, while the game art degree limits you mostly to a career in the tough and competitive videogames industry.)
Do you know any major differences in the programs?

Thank you
Old 04-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
thecore95

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss16

I recently just started Full Sail Online program in game art. To answer your main question no you do not. My first class is 3d foundation and that is a beginning course that introduces you to the whole process(rigging,modeling,textures etc.) which you will do more in depth in future classes. Once I started the process I realized that you don't need to be a good free hand artist but it benefits you to improve on that aspect as you need to learn the shape of things. One of my first assignments involved creating a model out of one shape!!. I also had to do a story board which required free hand drawing but it didn't have to be spectacular just finely polished. My instructor says(w/maya) your success is dependent upon your ability to use the software quick and efficiently.

When I first inquired about the game art class, I was told that your more of a generalist meaning your not stuck to just video games. As of now both game art and computer animation majors are together until future classes.

I honestly don't see a great deal of difference between the two. With gaming your limited in the amount of polygons you can use while computer animation will always use the biggest amount of polygons available I believe that's were the two differ.

Also depending on your choice of online or campus it's very accelerated(one month per class online 2 classes per month on campus) and you will be judged on the quality of work. Full Sail is very serious about their quality standard and I'm aware that if their not satisfied that I'm producing that quality, I may not be able to move forward until they feel I am..or not at all.

Hope this answers any questions you may have.

Last edited by thecore95 : 04-12-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Spitu

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

hi there, fullsail student at your service. i have been attending fullsail university's game art program for 8 months now and ill try to answer your questions.

1. game art and computer animation are said to be close to the same program but it is the fine details that make the difference in them. for example, in game art you will learn about UDK(unreal development kit) witch is used by a ton of game developers and will really help when it comes down to careers.

2. if you want to do animation in games and movies then go with computer animation. the animation from movies to games isn't that different and i am sure that you will learn more animation from the computer animation side.

3. i hate to say that you don't need much free hand skills to make it but it is true. i suck at solid drawing and animation if it is free hand but i still made it through the classes. now this doesn't mean that you don't use drawings at all. trust me when i say that it is easier to learn from 2d to 3d.

good luck, you'll need it.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
Kiana Darkrose

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I have a friend who graduated from Full Sail's Game Art program a couple years ago and he can't say enough about it, which actually prompted me to look into it and wanting to go there as well.

I was wondering however if anyone has done the online Game Art degree online vs on campus and if they like it, or does someone know if Full Sail offers a hybrid degree with classes online AND on campus? I think I would much rather have the on campus support and experience, although the cheaper tuition for the online degree has tempted me to look into it.

Last edited by Kiana Darkrose : 05-27-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
zachrb

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

I too am looking into either Full Sail's Game Art or Computer Animation degrees.
  • How is the workload of the online degree? Could I work 20-25 hours a week and still do good?
  • How good is the teaching for the online degree? Do they explain everything pretty good?
  • How many classes do you take at once?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
PERMAFROST666

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

I've been looking into starting the Game Art online program through Full Sail and I've been looking for more info. as to how the experience is. I would go down and take the on campus courses but with having a 1year old i just cant take the risk of not being able to provide for him while taking classes. Any information would be very helpful or if you want to e-mail back in fourth my email is stanger.josh@gmail.com
Old 07-24-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERMAFROST666 View Post
but with having a 1year old i just cant take the risk of not being able to provide for him while taking classes.
Sounds like you need to put your career aspirations for hold for about 17 years and focus on your family, dude.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
PERMAFROST666

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
Sounds like you need to put your career aspirations for hold for about 17 years and focus on your family, dude.
Yeah i wont be able to do the on campus courses pretty much anywhere b/c i will not be able to work unless i were to do something part time at a local university. The way i see it is that i could still do online classes and work a full time job. My fiance would also be able to work, considering i work in sales my schedule is pretty lax except for the X-mas season. So if the online classes can give me a really good understanding then i would like to do that and with Full Sail they provide all of the software and a mac book pro to run them on. I'm not just going to into something without knowing if i can do it obviously, but i also don't wont to hinder my education.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
thecore95

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERMAFROST666 View Post
Yeah i wont be able to do the on campus courses pretty much anywhere b/c i will not be able to work unless i were to do something part time at a local university. The way i see it is that i could still do online classes and work a full time job. My fiance would also be able to work, considering i work in sales my schedule is pretty lax except for the X-mas season. So if the online classes can give me a really good understanding then i would like to do that and with Full Sail they provide all of the software and a mac book pro to run them on. I'm not just going to into something without knowing if i can do it obviously, but i also don't wont to hinder my education.
I think its all dependent on your dedication. I'm now in my 4th month of the online program at Full Sail.

Here are things that you can consider:

1. You get a week to complete your main assignments

All assignments must be turned in on the due date at 11:59pm est

Depending on the class you may have more then one assignment due per week

2. Virtual classes

We have virtual class sessions which are mainly used for the major courses and there only once a week. Times vary for each class and so far they have been early as 11:00am and late as 6:00pm and they are on est also.

We ask questions,review projects for the week, critique projects,and have additional lecture directed toward the projects due.

Even though its recommended that you be in class it is not required and you can watch a recorded session of the class when you have the time to do so.

Other then that in the beginning you will at least be putting in 10-20+ hours per week for projects and there is a good chance that this will increase when you get further into the program.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
thecore95

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachrb View Post
I too am looking into either Full Sail's Game Art or Computer Animation degrees.
  • How is the workload of the online degree? Could I work 20-25 hours a week and still do good?
  • How good is the teaching for the online degree? Do they explain everything pretty good?
  • How many classes do you take at once?
1. You could depending on the time you put into your assignments.

2. Its ok its more video tutorial then teaching in my opinion but your instructor is the one in the tutorials showing you how to use your programs and he does go over it with you in the virtual classroom.

3. Just one class per month.
Closed Thread