Old 04-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136
Default Game Design Challenge: iPad!

Well, this one's simple, timely, and wide open. Design an iPad game!

EDIT: Results are live!

http://gamecareerguide.com/features/...me_design_.php
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Hmmm... the 'multiplayer on a single device' aspect makes me think of the old tabletop arcade machines you'd find at pizza joints. Here's an example of one; http://i39.tinypic.com/119wf7m.jpg.

As far as an actual game idea, however, I'm at a loss. I hadn't even planned on submitting anything for the last two challenges, but at the last second threw entries together for the hell of it... I have the feeling I'll probably end up doing the same here.

The first thing I think of is a game where one player is in control of something while the other player is placing objects within the game environment... So while one player is engaged in Pac-man like gameplay, the other player is reaching out and changing the maze or adding elements to it. One guy is the rat, the other is the maze builder.

Having a big, flat screen that can handle multiple inputs and rests comfortably between two people is something that hasn't been done since the days of... well, old tabletop arcade units... and they didn't have the kind of power the iPad does.

Hmm...I'll bat ideas around tonight and see what falls out. Color me slightly intrigued.
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
JohnnyJohnJohns

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
The first thing I think of is a game where one player is in control of something while the other player is placing objects within the game environment... So while one player is engaged in Pac-man like gameplay, the other player is reaching out and changing the maze or adding elements to it. One guy is the rat, the other is the maze builder.
I think the only problem with this type idea is that its a bit like the LBP demo on the PlayStation Move that looked like no fun especially for the guy moving the environment, coming up with a way to make it interesting for both players would be quite tough.

I'm thinking maybe something like draw your own rpg where you get to interactively draw solutions to scenarios when you need to, nice mix of creativity and fun hopefully but its only an early idea and I'm not a big RPG fan so not sure how I'd get on with it.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnJohns View Post
I think the only problem with this type idea is that its a bit like the LBP demo on the PlayStation Move that looked like no fun especially for the guy moving the environment, coming up with a way to make it interesting for both players would be quite tough.
The only problem with that is, LBP is more action-oriented... so the builder has to move fast to keep up with the player. Also, the Playstation Move is hardly a precision tool like a touchscreen would be.

Had an idea for something that's not so much a game, but still kinda fun; a "Piano Hero" game where the keys are part of the screen and players press notes as the cues occur. That actually might be useful as a piano-teaching tool too. But there's already enough music games in the world and I'm not really crazy about them to begin with.

Also, I will be surprised if nobody makes an etch-a-sketch for the iPad. Perfect size, it responds to vibration... hehe.

Multiplayer isn't actually required for this challenge, so I may just abandon the idea of a two-player game all together.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Retro

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss253

A little additional reading for everyone, posted today;

Computing Comes to the Surface:
http://buzzcut.com/?p=105

I was actually thinking, before I even saw this was posted, that Chess would be GREAT on an iPad, which lead me to consider what other types of boardgames could be done. Obviously nothing where players have hands that must be kept private (Scrabble, etc.)... but I'm willing to try that anyways...

I was thinking a Digital Collectible Card game would be amazing... you could play monster and spell cards and then watch the monsters pull themselves out of the flat 'cards' and go stomping across the playing surface and beat up the other guy's monsters. Or a fireball spell actually torches a card and you can watch it spark, burn, smolder and drift away as ashes on the wind.

I'm not sure how you'd keep your hand private, but maybe a game can be developed where you don't have to...
Old 04-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
Nilbmar

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

Pictionary!

Not really the idea I'm gonna go with but that could be fun if you like that kind of game.

I'm drawing a _____.
Nilbmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
Mariol

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
A little additional reading for everyone, posted today;

Computing Comes to the Surface:
http://buzzcut.com/?p=105

I was actually thinking, before I even saw this was posted, that Chess would be GREAT on an iPad, which lead me to consider what other types of boardgames could be done. Obviously nothing where players have hands that must be kept private (Scrabble, etc.)... but I'm willing to try that anyways...

I was thinking a Digital Collectible Card game would be amazing... you could play monster and spell cards and then watch the monsters pull themselves out of the flat 'cards' and go stomping across the playing surface and beat up the other guy's monsters. Or a fireball spell actually torches a card and you can watch it spark, burn, smolder and drift away as ashes on the wind.

I'm not sure how you'd keep your hand private, but maybe a game can be developed where you don't have to...
This sounds great. I was also thinking along the lines of a boardgame. The collectible card game would be brilliant though. Reminds me a lot of the Duel Monsters tech in the cartoon Yugi-Oh.

Junction 5 Studios | Twitter | Werdz Movies FB page
Mariol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
Aubs

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

I wonder how sensitive the iPad would be if you bumped it from the side. Has anyone here got their hands on one yet?
Aubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Isaak

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss68

Insert iPad joke here.

Currently Active Users: 98 (03-03-10 - 09:51 PM) 2 members and 96 guests
Who are you people?!
Isaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #10