Old 05-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136
Default Game Design Challenge: Time For Change

Inspired by a recent GCG feature and some art on the internet...

Entries must be submitted by Wednesday, June 9

Results will be posted Tuesday, June 15

Full details:

http://www.gamecareerguide.com/featu..._time_for_.php
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
nikwin

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

It is just so tempting to go with Leisure Suit Larry.
nikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
PNam19

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1

Leisure Suit Lara :-D
PNam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
dariazzo

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Too obvious to go with "Bully", so I'll do it.

Be fair and don't steal the idea, or I'll smash your face with my rubber bands ball!
dariazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
Fant4stic

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

If you would change the gender of the main character in Tomb Raider, it would be an Indiana Jones game
Fant4stic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
cnutt
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 15/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss136

@Fant4astic, ever play the N64 one? It pretty much was that.

Really, the point could very well be that there's NO change -- this is Hamm's point in her project: the gameplay didn't have to change when realistic female characters were introduced. However, that doesn't make for much of a design challenge, does it?
cnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Graedius

Activity Longevity
0/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Just sent this in. I do hope I made it in time. If didn't, well... you can always read my design here.

+

Princess of Persia
Written by Elendil "Shin" Cañete, Game Designer
Art by Gabrielle "Beany" Mendez

Introduction

Princess of Persia is a game that offers the player a deeper and more strategic playstyle, a flexible movement system and a far more attractive protagonist compared to its original counterpart.

Prince of Persia has been around for a very long time, and was known for its acrobatic and aggressive male protagonist. Princess of Persia aims to change that with its limber and more strategic heroine. Although lacking in physical prowess, the Princess possesses a sharp mind and the "Gauntlet of Guidance", a special glove that allows her to mark locations and enemy weak points with a magical beam of light.

Accompanying the stalwart princess is Eliko, a trusty palace guard she met in her travels. Armed with a handy scimitar and a burly disposition, he follows the Princess' commands and the light from the Gauntlet of Guidance.

Guidance System - Movement

Princess of Persia features "Guidance", a mechanic which allows the player to command Eliko to do various tasks for the princess. Unlike Prince of Persia, this game takes away the initial control from the player and places him on a more strategic standpoint. He no longer has the comfort of simply proceeding from one location to another while his partner follows automatically; this time, the player must follow his partner closely while the computer controlled character performs each action given to him by the player.

As the player progresses across a level, he will encounter various hotspots with action icons. The Princess can command Eliko to perform the displayed actions by facing the hotspot and holding down the gauntlet button. Eliko will then perform the action and the Princess can interact with him to execute a variety of movements.

For example: a deep crevasse separates the pair from their destination. The only way to traverse this expanse is by way of navigating a series of stalactites and grip holes across the wall. The player must act fast in commanding Eliko to do these feats, while clinging on to him as he moves from one location to another.

The player needs to think on his feet while guiding Eliko across locations. As opposed to Prince of Persia's rescue mechanic, if the Princess or Eliko falls because of a late Guidance command, they suffer the risk of death.

Guidance System - Combat

The Princess is a very limber individual, and her graceful movements allows her to perform fascinating evasive maneuvers which she needs to use to locate an enemy's vital point. Once a vital point has been found, the player can then press the gauntlet button to command Eliko to attack. The location of the vital point will then change, and the player must find it again until the enemy is defeated.

End Note

Princess of Persia emphasizes on the gameplay changes a female protagonist can make on a male dominated game. The Princess may not be much of a combatant compared to the battle-hardened prince, but she makes up for it in speed and grace, something delicate and female in nature.

+

Hope you guys liked it. Comments? Suggestions? Violent reactions, if any? XD
Graedius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Tenacious Stu

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss70

Graedius,

Nice Idea, I came up with a bunch of possible games to use for this challenge, but I never thought of Prince of Persia, good idea.

I like the idea of having gameplay centered around quick-thinking strategy.

My only concern about your submission is that you kept referring to the player as 'He' when this game could be played by any gender. Just something to think about when writing future submissions, especially regarding the nature of this months challenge .

All the best of luck with your entry!
Tenacious Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Dekuben

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Really liked the Princess of Persia concept, I went for a maternal approach to game mechanics for Silent Hill 2.

It looks like both of us went for sort of indirect element to our battle system control scheme:

Protagonist

The original Silent Hill 2 protagonist was a man trying to find (or rescue) his deceased wife as many male archetypes do.
The protagonist in this version; is a woman and her little boy.
The player does not have to rescue anyone per se, but they do have to protect the child from monsters; as they try to find their way out of Silent Hill.
Gameplay Mechanics

Previous versions of the game created horror through fog.
This instalment creates horror because the Mother is burdened by a child which hinders movement speed.
The Child can either be left to walk, in which case the Mother must move at the Child’s speed or risk leaving the Child behind at the mercy of various monsters.
The Mother can also pick up the Child, but this leaves the player with no way to defend the pair as the Mother’s hands are full carrying the child.
The Mother can give the child a tool to use such as a flashlight, radio or even a gun.
At first the Child does not understand how to use the tools but as the game progresses, they become more proficient with them as the Mother teaches the Child by example when and how to use it.
Choice of tool will affect how the child develops throughout the game.
The Mother could also hide the Child in chests or cupboards or use a blindfold or ear muffs to protect the child from exposure to the horror.
Another facet which I think would be optional depending on difficulty would be hunger and possibly defecation.
After a certain amount of time has passed, the child starts to complain that it is thirsty or hungry and the Mother must find something for it to eat or drink to mitigate it complaining more and attracting monsters.
Themes

The game is about the consequences of the Mother’s actions on the development of the child.
The game over screen could appear because the Child dead because the Mother ran away and abandoned it in a “boss fight”.
Alternatively, the game could end with the Mother having taught the child to use a knife to aggressively attack monsters on sight; subsequently the Child becomes a homicidal sociopath and kills a friendly character.
Another possibility is that the Child is actually imaginary or has been kidnapped by the protagonist or that it is a facet of her mind such as Pyramid Head was a part of the Protagonist in Silen Hill 2.
Endnote

I think it is critical that the Mother be portrayed as being as competent in combat as the Protagonist of Silent Hill 2 was.
I believe that the Mother would be highly appealing to both genders, but I admit that the burden the mechanics place on the player may be unappealing to some as the Child is literally a burden.
Dekuben is offline   Reply With Quote