Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
ryan.george

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss130
Default Tips for getting through to Studios

Hi all, first time poster, long time reader.

It has been roughly 3 weeks since I submitted my resume and CV to a local game design studio and even though I've been periodically calling about talking with someone in HR I still haven't heard back. I've even gone as far to show up at the studio (it's roughly 9 blocks from my apartment) in hopes of finding someone outside that can get me further inside information on how to pursue this position.

The position itself is that of an Administrative Assistant/Receptionist at the front desk. It's not a big position, that's for sure, but if hired I hope to build a relationship with the studio and attempt to climb the proverbial ladder through the ranks of QA up to an eventual position in Design.

I'm in my last year of college studying game development and feel like this would be an ideal start to my career while I finish my senior project and build a greater portfolio.

So, main question:
Anyone have any tips to seeking game employment that I may have overlooked?

Thanks in advance
---
ryan.george
ryan.george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2270

Quote:
I've even gone as far to show up at the studio (it's roughly 9 blocks from my apartment) in hopes of finding someone outside that can get me further inside information on how to pursue this position.
If they have an application procedure on the website that doesn't involve turning up at the door, don't do that again. It is completely unprofessional and desperate.

Quote:
I've been periodically calling about talking with someone in HR I still haven't heard back.
Do you have the name of your initial contact? What did he/she say every time you called up.

Quote:
It has been roughly 3 weeks
3 weeks isn't that long.

Quote:
Have you read this yet? http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
kbaxter

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss90

Darius Kazemi, of the IGDA board of directors, has an excellent blog on networking in the game industry here: http://tinysubversions.com/effective-networking/

I agree that showing up at their door is probably going to hurt you more than help you. Same with calling over and over again. If they're interested, they'll let you know. If they're not, you won't change it by pestering them.
kbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1890

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.george View Post
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson27.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson24.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
ryan.george

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss130

Thanks for the advice. Wont be showing up anymore, that's for sure. I wasn't aware it was such a faux pas, I thought it would show initiative.

Quote:
Do you have the name of your initial contact? What did he/she say every time you called up.
See, that's the frustrating part. The listed number goes to an answering service for the company that owns the studio. So when I call I get someone and inform them why I'm calling, mainly asking for information regarding where they are in the hiring process, however they keep telling that they'll deliver the message and I'll hear back from them in the next few following days. But that never happens.

There's really only so much I can do in this situation. I can't exactly give them a portfolio for this specific job so the only thing I feel like I can do is try and get in contact with the HR Manager (whose name I do know, however can't seem to find any contact email anywhere).

I assume that what I'm going through isn't any different than what others do but it's just hard to know that the only thing I can do in my position is nothing.

Once again, thanks for the advice. I'll do my best to adhere from it in the future.

(Also, yes, I've been reading sloperama articles almost painstakingly.)
---
ryan.george

Last edited by ryan.george : 06-18-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1890

Quote:
(Also, yes, I've been reading sloperama articles almost painstakingly.)
"Almost," eh?

Old 06-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

Why are you applying as a receptionist if you want to do QA/design? Are they even advertising for one, or are you just using it as a "breaking in" point? If they have one they're satisfied with, they're not going to take another.

If you want to get hired by the company, apply for a position you actually want. Maybe not Lead Designer if you're the noob on the block, but one you could enjoy even if you never got promoted.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
ryan.george

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss130

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLlama View Post
Why are you applying as a receptionist if you want to do QA/design? Are they even advertising for one, or are you just using it as a "breaking in" point? If they have one they're satisfied with, they're not going to take another.

If you want to get hired by the company, apply for a position you actually want. Maybe not Lead Designer if you're the noob on the block, but one you could enjoy even if you never got promoted.
Well the reason I did apply was because they were advertising the position. I saw it and figured it would be a decent breaking in point. By the time I graduate I'd know people in the studio, know when positions opened up, and hopefully have the connections to work my way up by then.

The reason I'm not applying for an actual design position right now is because I'm in my last year of college. Now, even though I only have one class all year (senior project, 30~35 students make a game for a year) we still meet up for class on Fridays for 3 hours during the Fall semester and 6 in the Spring.

Would I be correct in saying that most studios wouldn't want to hire someone (a student that doesn't have a degree yet, something that sloperama very heavily states is needed) that wouldn't be able to work for a section of one day out of the week? I figured that they would want me full time, all the time, not working on other games while I'm working on theirs.

The reason I thought I could spin the Receptionist position felt like it would be slightly more forgiving if I wasn't available a few hours a week that I could simply make up a different way (be it working extra hours to make up, or what have you)

Quote:
tsloper
"Almost," eh?
Enough to know that:

Quote:
"All rules are meant to be broken, once in a while"
---
ryan.george
Old 06-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1890

Quote:
tsloper
"Almost," eh?
Quote:
Enough to know that:
Quote:
"All rules are meant to be broken, once in a while"
Enough to know that you have to "Learn the rules... so you can break them properly"?

You can't break into the game industry with "almost."

Old 06-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #10
ryan.george

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss130

Sorry if I came off as rash, I meant no disrespect.

But didn't you, yourself, say that these rules that you lay out on your site (which is a fantastic source of information, please,don't get me wrong) are all based off your personal experiences and aren't to be taken as concrete rules?

Understand that I'm doing my best and that I'm still learning the ropes. I figure with this application the worst thing that can happen is that they say no and I learn from the experience.

Thank you for all the feedback in such a timely manner! I look forward to contributing to these forums to the best of my abilities.

Cheers
---
ryan.geoge