Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > More Careers
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
dtdlurch

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default Would this be considered a "no-no"?

Investigating some options and needed some input from someone knowledgeable of the game development industry. Specifically, it pertains to a game testing/QA role.

Question(s): Would it be considered bad form to take two separate part-time QA with two different companies? Would a developing company even be ok with this arrangement?

I have my assumptions, but didn't want to rule out any options prematurely. I'm assuming it differs from case to case or company to company. I would lean towards the idea being "not acceptable" more of often than not for a host of reasons. But, I'm curious what someone with experience in the culture would suggest regarding this scenario.

Any and all input would be much appreciated.
dtdlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1822

If you can work two part-time jobs, why can't you work one full-time job?

As for your question, you can just ask the companies when you interview with them. And of course you should never talk about the game you're testing at one company while you're at the other company. Not about the bugs you found either.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:11 AM   #3
dtdlurch

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7

Thanks, Tom. That is pretty much what I had assumed to be the case. Knowing now that it isn't inappropriate to at least ask is beneficial. I wouldn't want to insult anyone or give a negative impression as a result of the question.

To answer your question, I have an interview this Friday for a QA position. At the moment, it appears to be a part time position and a significant pay cut. I'm attempting to transition careers from banking, which I hate, to gaming, which I love. Sacrifices will need to be made, of course. But I just wanted to understand my options a little better. If I took this position that caused me to lose 65% of my income, just to get my foot in the door, would it be considered inappropriate to attempt to pick up another part time QA job at the very least? Now that I know this isn't some sort of industry "faux pax" (sp?), I can begin to plan for this as a possible route.

Thanks for your advice, Tom. Your posts and webpage have been extremely helpful in my career transition.

Last edited by dtdlurch : 07-20-2010 at 03:16 AM.
dtdlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2254

It may. The contract you sign for this part time job may forbid you to work at another competing company.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
2/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtdlurch View Post
1. At the moment, it appears to be a part time position and a significant pay cut.
2. would it be considered inappropriate to attempt to pick up another part time QA job at the very least?
3. Now that I know this isn't some sort of industry "faux pax" (sp?
1. Ah, now I see why.
2. As I said before, you'd have to ask them.
3. I didn't say it wasn't a faux pas. I said you'd have to ask them. It's a bizarre question that I've never heard before, and they probably also never heard before. The fact that you'd ask MIGHT make them not want to hire you. But asking them is the only way to find out if they'd permit it. And saying it's because they're only offering part-time work and you want full-time work is honest, and a good reason for asking.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is online now   Reply With Quote