Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Stupideye

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Hopeful level designer seeking some advice

Hello there,

I'm about to head in to my last year of high school and I'm still in the process of deciding what I want to do as a career afterwards. It struck me that the video game industry might be for me. I've been making levels on Hammer (for the Source engine) for some time now and have gotten pretty decent at it. I'm thinking of trying level design in a few other engines and have started making levels for Crysis. One question I have though, how good at this do you need to be to get anywhere? Is the industry really competitive?

I talked to a few video game schools and most of them have expressed that knowledge in modelling is needed beforehand. Maybe I'm trying to be too specific as to what I want from a school or maybe I'm looking at the wrong schools, I'm not sure. I don't remember which schools it was specifically (it was a while ago now). I'm not sure if I should try and learn modelling now, or if I need to try some different schools.

Thanks.
Stupideye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupideye View Post
1. I've been making levels on Hammer
2. how good at this do you need to be to get anywhere?
3. Is the industry really competitive?
4. Maybe I'm trying to be too specific as to what I want from a school or maybe I'm looking at the wrong schools, I'm not sure
1. Perfect!
2. Very!
3. Yes!
4. Wrong schools.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Darth Tomi

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss14

First, go to college and get a college degree. Forget about these games schools, they're expensive and don't guarantee you of a job. Major in anything you want, here's a dirty little secret - in the real world your major DOESN'T REALLY MATTER. Major in basketweaving if you want, whatever. If you REALLY want to, take some classes in Art, Architecture or even porgramming to round out your skills.
Second, work on games. make games on the side, not just video games but board games and such. Learn all you can about game design, working in the industry, the production process of games and such. (go to IGDA meetings in your area)
You worked in Hammer? Great, but also learn Unreal which is pretty popular. Put together a portfolio and by the time you graduate you'll have something to show.
Then after graduation, look for a job. Maybe by the time you graduate the economy won't be so crappy and you might have a chance.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Platypus

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

majors don't matter, I thought that was only for minors. I would think that an employer when deciding to hire one dude from another and their portfolios seem equal in quality he would pick the person who would have a computer science degree over the basket weaving one.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
majors don't matter, I thought that was only for minors. I would think that an employer when deciding to hire one dude from another and their portfolios seem equal in quality he would pick the person who would have a computer science degree over the basket weaving one.
Would you like to phrase that as a question, young Jedi?
Majors don't matter as much as the portfolio does, once the hirer has finished filtering out resumes.
Resumes get filtered out for all kinds of dumb reasons - like, this guy never had a job in his life, that guy lives in Antarctica, and this other guy can't capitalize the first word of a sentence in his cover letter.
If the candidate has a basketweaving degree and three years experience as an Xbox 360 programmer, we're gonna look at his portfolio. If another candidate has a game degree and just graduated last week, we might not. Especially if we want experienced people.

I ask you again -- would you like to ask a question (in the form of a question)?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
Platypus

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

Quote:
If another candidate has a game degree and 3 years of experience as a programmer
What then?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
>>If another candidate has a game degree and 3 years of experience as a programmer
>What then?
I have no idea. If he's the only candidate, then whether or not I hire him depends on a lot of factors.
Are you sure you wouldn't like to ask a well-phrased question?
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/entry65.htm

Old 08-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Platypus

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

I meant if two people with the same experience apply, realistically wouldn't the one with the computer science degree get it over the one with basket weaving considering with his second degree if the option of him being able to become a game or level designer isn't available according to his degree he could work as a programmer as well if the company needs one?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1827

Wow, that's a long sentence. 65 words!
Platypus, why are you asking this question? What is it you really want to find out, and why?
There's no simple cut-and-dried answer to your question. The world is not a simple binary black and white. You're trying to find out something to help you make some kind of decision, and you're trying to figure it out by asking a simple question to get a simple answer, but that doesn't work in this case.
I ask again: What is it you really want to find out, and why?

Old 08-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
Platypus

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

I already asked the question and since you said it was simple to you you must understand the question. Are you going to answer or just go back and forth?