Get the latest Education e-news

Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Gchavez

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default I need help

I'm looking into becoming a game programmer and want to go to school for it. I just don't know what school is best to do this and how exactly to get started. I don't really know anything about programming. I always wanted to make games and saw that prgramming fits me best. I have no experience so i need like a specific college that would help me and is the best. I live in California and am 19.
Gchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1461

Simply get started and do some programming!

It would be best to try some coding before jumping into a Computer Science degree because if you don't enjoy it you will hate being enrolled on such a programme. I reccomend starting with a high-level object-orientated language such as Java, C# or Python.

Others may suggest jumping into the deep end - learn C++. You will need to learn this language eventually because it is the de facto standard within the games industry. In my experience, however, it can cause beginners to get lost and confused easily.

You can find game development libraries for all of these languages, including: LWJGL, XNA Framework and PyGame.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gchavez View Post
i need like a specific college that would help me and is the best.
"Best" is subjective. Which one is "best" is something YOU have to decide for yourself.
Read:
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson44.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson25.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
Gchavez

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

@Adrir. Thanks I will look into those languages, since I don't really know anything about them. Which of those 3 is best recommended to move onto C++?

@tsloper. Thanks your links are real helpfull. I will look into your links and if I still have questions I'll ask.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
ndimucci

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

I'll link this book as a starting point. I suggest going through that book, see if you actually enjoy programming, and if you do, just take up a computer science program at any school of your choice. You'll have to start programming games on the side in your spare time, but I wouldn't worry about that just yet since there's a lot of learn before you reach that level.

As for what's "the best", there is no best and the game industry doesn't care where you went to school, or if you went at all. It's all about what you can do, not what school you have listed on your resume.

And my obligatory "I'd stay away from game specific degrees" statement.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #6
Gchavez

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Thanks I was looking at game specific schools but from what I'm hearing they aren't worth it and just take your money.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #7
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
2/11 sssss1461

Quote:
@Adrir. Thanks I will look into those languages, since I don't really know anything about them. Which of those 3 is best recommended to move onto C++?
They are all good starting points.

Quote:
Thanks I was looking at game specific schools but from what I'm hearing they aren't worth it and just take your money.
It depends.

Worth is completely subjective - especially with university - as you only get out of your education exactly the value you are prepared to invest in time, effort and rigour. Only you decide that, not your school.

Furthermore, there are several arguments for and against. Some will argue that game schools offer more like-minded students for extra-curricular collaborations, better networking opportunities and a more focused curriculum. Others argue that game schools limit your career opportunities within as well as outside the industry, they don't provide a well-rounded education or cost far too much.

Scientific Ninja offers a discussion on game schools.

Last edited by Adrir : 07-22-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
ndimucci

Activity Longevity
0/20 16/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

Quote:
Everyone is different. I'd love to say that this is an industry where you can easily have a life long career in, but the sad truth is that it isn't (for most people, again not everyone). That said, a lot of traditional computer science programs offer minors or specializations in game programming, so you get best of both worlds! Maybe it's worth looking into those type of programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrir
Worth is completely subjective - especially with university - as you only get out of your education exactly the value you are prepared to invest in time, effort and rigour. Only you decide that, not your school.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Last edited by ndimucci : 07-22-2010 at 03:51 AM.
ndimucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
Gchavez

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Ok got it, thanks to all.