Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #1
TheeCakee

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss21
Default Programming? Writing? Ditch the industry.

For a long time I have wanted to be a programmer. I have had my expirence with Runescape modding which is Java language. I have also made a website called www.respawn-station.com.
For a few months now I have been writing blogs and game reviews on there its a teen gaming site run by well....teens. I have about five ideas for games. Two of them I could make if I tried, I would just need an artist I suck at drawing! The others they just wouldn't work without a huge staff and voice actors.

Programming
Pros
-I have more experience.
-Seems to be the least competitive of the industry.
Cons
-I won't really get my ideas out.
-I am good at math I am one below the AP but...thats probably not enough as my parents tell me.

Writing
Pros
-I like to write, when I actually open up a notepad and do it Ill spend hours at it.
-So many ideas! But hey, I guess that makes me "Average Kid who wants to make a game."
-Personally, when I start talking I sometimes can't stop...most likely why this post is so long!
Cons
-Again one below AP.
-Not many jobs.

Journalism I will probably keep doing for free on my website untill or if I get a real job in the industry. I hear getting a game journalist job is VERY hard.

If you choose one for me please post some links or books that I can use as a "guide".
By the way I am 15 and I want to start doing something NOW before when I am 19 and thinking "Well I haven't done jack, what college should I go to?"
TheeCakee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeCakee View Post
Two of them I could make if I tried, I would just need an artist I suck at drawing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeCakee View Post
Cons
-I won't really get my ideas out.
Not true, game programmers get to help contribute to the design at a a lot of studios. With programming skills you can also work on your ideas on the side or go indie. Or you can do what I did, start as a programmer and move into a design role over time
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Platypus

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss26

I don't really think being in an AP class matters all that much if you have good grades currently that's all that matters, because if you didn't you would have a hard time getting into any college that isn't private, since private care more about getting your money than grade requirements.

You shouldn't have a hard time or at least an easier time than most people acquiring the math credits you would need for a programming or a general computer science degree.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
AgentLeo

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss8

The answer is simple: do what you love ,and have a passion for.

If you can't see your self pouring your heart and soul into for countless hours ,and then to be told by your boss it not good enough or it not being used ,and you can't pick up your heart off the floor and get started on your next task. No job in the gaming industry may be right for you. This isn't to scare you away , but it the honest truth without sugar coating it. also read tslopes guide if you haven't yet.

Also as far as college don't focus so much on the names. Schools such as digipen and UAT programs may be geared towards careers in game industry , but programming is programming., so if you can't afford the pricing of going out of state for school , and need to go to a local community college , don't be discouraged.
AgentLeo is offline   Reply With Quote