Get the latest Education e-news

Old 08-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Meesho

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default I don't know where to start

Hello, I've recently begun thinking about my future and what career I want to go into (this will be quite a long post, so bare with me. I'll put a quick summary at the end, if I can, which you can read and answer my dilemma instead of reading this whole story, though reading the whole thing should only take about 5-10 minutes at most).

I'm very good at a few subjects, and basic in one or two, so I think that if I really apply myself, I can hopefully make it to where I want to go. The problem lies in the fact that I don't know where I should go, or how to get there. I think I'm pretty creative. I like to think of different ways of doing or looking at things. I like building and creating, especially if I can step back when it's all done and see it in its finished state, and possibly interact with it (this is why I've started looking into game making, albeit I have almost no idea how to make a game, unless you count the games I've made on Warioware D.I.Y. )

When I was little I would spend much of my time building with Legos or drawing and painting (I guess I was above-average at the time; I'm not sure how I currently rank with my skills in art. I'm definitely not amazing, but if I put some time into it, I can make some pretty good drawings).

The subjects I'm best in are English, History and Science, namely Physics and Biology. I had a 12th grade reading level in 5th grade, so I guess doing something that requires extensive writing/reading would suit me well. I guess Physics could be applied to something in the game making area, such as a programmer, but I've such an infinitesimal amount of knowledge in programming that I highly doubt I would be adept at it -- not to mention it seems slightly boring to me (if I have the right impression of it). I don't think History would help me much. I took an "Advanced 3D Design" class last year and got an A in it, though it had nothing to do with computers. It had to do with things like clay modeling and rock carving.

From what I've gathered, Math is a very important subject for a gamer maker. I'm good at Math, but not *great*. I used to be getting some of the top scores, but recently I moved out of the country for a year, had to get adjusted to a different continent, and fell behind in Math. I've moved back , though, and I'm just now getting back into the swing of things. Hopefully I'll move up from a C+ and a B- to a B+ or an A- next year. Before moving, I was in the advanced class (1 year ahead of my peers, though there were about 10 other people in my age group in the same class).

Since I moved, I had to stay back and take the one that I'd missed while I had moved, which brought me down to the class that I "should" be in, i.e., the average class. This isn't too troubling since there are some seniors in classes that I passed when I was in middle school, but it is now impossible for me to go back to the advanced class. In short, I've gone down in Math, where I was previously excelling.

I've decided that I either want to become a scientist, a game maker, or someone in the film industry (I was thinking along the lines of a storyboard person, or just someone who pitches ideas for movies and creates the plots, etc. (I would love to do that for Pixar)).

Based on what I wrote, can you suggest a role in game making that I could look into. I know there are Game Designers, Game Programmers, artists, etc. But I don't know what each one does, exactly, and I'm not sure which one I would be best suited for. I want to be able to help with the direction of the game and I want it to be in something that I would enjoy. I don't think I would enjoy being a programmer, but again, I'm not exactly sure what that job entails, so if you could make a short summary for the ones you think I would be good at, then that would be helpful.

Summary: I am creative, above-average at drawing/painting (art?), exceptional in English, Biology and Physics. I like to build and make ideas and build upon those ideas. I'm good at organizing. I'm decent at Math, but hopefully I will be getting much better soon as I re-adjust to the American school system (I moved away for a year and that messed me up in Math). I like to think of new ideas. Please tell me which part of the game making process I might be interested in and what job you think I should have, if any, within this industry. I'm only 16, if this helps, so I have some time to take new courses that might help me get to where I want to go.

Last edited by Meesho : 08-13-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Not enough line breaks
Meesho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

Can you repeat that but with more line breaks please?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:57 AM   #3
Meesho

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Can you repeat that but with more line breaks please?
Sure, one second.
Meesho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:56 AM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesho View Post
Please tell me which part of the game making process I might be interested in and what job you think I should have, if any, within this industry.
Only you can decide what elements of game development you enjoy. You may even be suprised by trying something you havn't considered before. The only way you will find out is if you actually do something practical.

Make something. A boardgame. A small computer game. A mod or a level for an existing game. A fictional world. Discover the things you're passionate about!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss2261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesho View Post
Based on what I wrote, can you suggest a role in game making that I could look into. I know there are Game Designers, Game Programmers, artists, etc. But I don't know what each one does, exactly, and I'm not sure which one I would be best suited for.
http://www.skillset.org/games/careers/profiles/
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1837

Start by reading about the types of jobs, then searching within your own soul for your passions and abilities.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson7.htm
http://archives.igda.org/breakingin/
And there is surely a bunch of stuff on this topic here on gamecareerguide too.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote