Old 08-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Flaxtick

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Advice on getting started as an International Student

Hello people,
First up a small introduction to get things started. At 12, I was gaming on a cheap chinese knock-off of Nintendo gaming console. At 15, I just started playing games on a 64 bit console (still on some chinese knock-off!). At 19 I was pretty much playing multiplayer games over LAN and Internet (oh the glory days of Counter-Strike 1.6). Now at 24, am an Engineer currently working in a firm as a CAD designer. Somewhere between 19 and 24 I haven't been gaming as much as I would've liked to but that doesn't make me any less of a gamer as I continue to enjoy great single-player experiences on my gaming rig.

Right now that you know me (to an extent) let me get to the serious part. I've always found a great amount of joy in creating stuff like modding a game or figuring out ways to make the game better. When I started doing all this I began seeing games in a totally different way; as that of a creator/designer and less as a player. It's suffice to say that making a game could be as much fun as playing it (at times even more).

I've been following the gaming industry seriously for a while now and I would give my heart to be there. I am based in India and there isn't a great deal of studios working on console/pc/handheld games. So the choices are obviously limited. Having learnt that the North American gaming industry is the "best place to be" if you're in this field, I would like to ask some serious questions for which I request answers in the same sense.

The hard part for me is not about asking which area to specialize in, be it animation/programming/design. I've come to know that those depend on my individual skill sets and passion for them and how much time I would want to put into them (http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm). Once I gain momentum on the ideas I could follow the one that suits me best. So I won't be bugging you for advice on this topic.

As I mentioned that being in a "non-gaming" country and still having great dreams and ambitions and more importantly the spirit and passion for this industry, can I do it? I did apply for a few schools in the US like DePaul, SMU Guildhall, SCAD and I have got positive responses from them. Now I know that a College Degree isn't really essential but realistically speaking what are my chances of finding a job there once I decide to leave my country. I know that no one can guarantee a job and having been working in a corporate industry for a while I've come to realize this very early on.

I am considering a career change at 24 (not a bad time) since I've seen people do it a lot late as well. Being an International student what is the ground reality over there about someone like me who has so much of aspirations, of finding a job. I would also like to know about the work permit I would get for me to be able to find work over there. I sure would like to hear from people like me who have been in similar situations to throw some light over this. Anyone out there who can give me suggestions on this has no idea how valuable they're gonna be. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers.

Last edited by Flaxtick : 08-16-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Flaxtick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

The secret of getting answers is to ask short focused questions.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/entry65.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
Flaxtick

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thanks Tom, I agree I might've been a bit gung-ho in my first post. I have been going through your website and it does help a lot. The reason for a bit informative post of mine was that I thought it would be rude to just come up and shoot questions straight away without introducing myself first. I do agree I didn't search the forum first for similar posts and I thought from the title I could "call" people who are in similar situations to comment on my post. Nevertheless I do apologize for it.

What I missed from your comprehensive website is details regarding International Students from non-gaming countries who look to make a career in this industry. Is it somewhat similar to other skill-oriented careers like IT/Engineering where you can find a job based on your credentials if you have a post graduate degree from an US university? This may sound a bit stupid cos' I know the gaming industry is a highly creative industry and it may be difficult to answer it in a sentence. So what I'm basically asking is after I get into a desired College for a game design course and graduate, would I be allowed to work there? And for how long? I hope I've made things a bit more clear and I still got a lot more running in my head, but this will do for now.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxtick View Post
...After I get into a desired college [abroad] for a game design course and graduate, would I be allowed to work there? And for how long?
This depends on a variety of factors including immigration policy, the type of visa, your connection with the country and your background.

This question may be more appropriate for a careers advisor who has knowledge about working overseas. If there isn't one available, as you mention you are working, there are sources online that you may investigate.

Why do you want a games degree? What is your current educational background? Did you study before you became an engineer?
Old 08-21-2010, 03:12 AM   #5
Flaxtick

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Sorry about the delay in replying, but thanks Adrir, I do plan to take this up with a career adviser to get more details. Yes I am a qualified Mechanical Engineer and I have a Bachelor's degree and specialized in CAD (Computer Aided Design) not so much dissimilar to say, a Level-Designer.

The reason for me to look for a game degree is because I have no real insight in the business of making full-fledged games and how studios work there. I just think that for someone in my position, it would be better to get fully(or mostly) prepared before I enter the Industry. As such I am looking for more "finishing schools" kinda places to study where the curriculum is in sync with what is needed for Industry professionals, and though extensive does not require me to spend say 4 years in studying.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxtick View Post
I am a qualified Mechanical Engineer and I have a Bachelor's degree and specialized in CAD (Computer Aided Design) not so much dissimilar to say, a Level-Designer.

The reason for me to look for a game degree is because I have no real insight in the business of making full-fledged games
You don't "need" a game degree since you already have a degree and engineering credentials. But if you want one, then go ahead. What you "need" now is a portfolio or your foot in the door in an entry-level position.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote