Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Art
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Detobu

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Can I Survive With No/Little 3D Skills?

Hi, I'm a senior in high school that plans to get a degree in illustration and then a job in concept art. Whats been bothering me is that as far as software packages go I'm only proficient with most adobe software (graphic design classes) and nothing 3D. Can i expect to make a decent living with just 2D skills to back me up or should I expect to take 3D or Animation electives in college?
Detobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Why would you even ask? Of course it will help!
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
Detobu

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoc10 View Post
Why would you even ask? Of course it will help!
I'm not asking if it would help. I know that much; what I asked is how well I can expect to get by without those skills.
Detobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detobu View Post
I'm not asking if it would help. I know that much; what I asked is how well I can expect to get by without those skills.
In that case, why would you not do something that you know will help?
Old 09-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Thumper_34

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59

Ok,

Photoshop, Painter etc is a must for all concept artists looking at getting into Concept art

You can't just walk into a game studio and say "here are some pictures I drew... I can't digitally paint them." That just is not exceptable in todays standards.

Studio's want people who are good artists not just got illustrators.
Im not saying you can't get a job, Im just saying its going to be really hard to get your foot in the door with no knowledge about the 3d work flows and knowledge of leading art tools.

Hope that helps
Thumper_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 01:26 AM   #6
Cassandra

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

There has to be some game company that relies only on traditional artwork?

Name one

Cassandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:36 AM   #7
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Concept artists are not in high demand in the industry, at best you probably have one per team of 50+ developers. At a small company, you would use the artists you already have rather then one dedicated concept artist.

Every studio will probably use traditional artwork in one form or another but I can't think of one that relies solely on it.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Every studio will probably use traditional artwork in one form or another but I can't think of one that relies solely on it.
Yeah, hand drawn adventure games have fallen out of style, unfortunately.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

There are also free 3D software packages out there you can start learning now or during the summer. I'm currently teaching myself how to use Blender (go to www.blender.org to download). It's confusing, but there are tutorials online (my recommendation is Blender: Noob to Pro. Google it) that will give you the basic step by step walkthrough. Once you get orientated, modeling is basically just sculpting on the computer, and that will probably be a good addition to your skill set.
EvilLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:23 AM   #10
tyferrell

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detobu View Post
Hi, I'm a senior in high school that plans to get a degree in illustration and then a job in concept art. Whats been bothering me is that as far as software packages go I'm only proficient with most adobe software (graphic design classes) and nothing 3D. Can i expect to make a decent living with just 2D skills to back me up or should I expect to take 3D or Animation electives in college?
I would advise you check out some of the articles here and on other boards about concept artist. I think yaustars advice hits home the hardest.

Also, the best 3D artist I have noticed have a very strong background in 2D traditional art and color theory. So developing your 2D skills is wise, but getting a knack for solid 3D tools is even smarter. Even if you plan on being the best of the best concept artist (which includes comic book artist who I know do concepts for video games), this would be a unstable route to pursue.

And always keep your eye on the trends and job board. Many companies seek out artisit who are versatile.

Much luck in your pursuit.
tyferrell is offline   Reply With Quote