Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
jeijei13

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Unhappy Help on My Gamedev Career!

Hello!

First of all I am a Game Developer who quit his 1st job (7 mos) a few months back. Now I am applying to other companies and recently I have 2 job offers. 1 from a game development company and another from a company that does finance/accounting applications.

Now the dilemma is that I do not know which to choose because when I saw my offer from the game company it offers a contractual employment that will last a single year. And since I am a contractual employee I do not have the common benefits such as health care etc. But what I can't take is that we do not have any leaves. It also offers less money than what I am earning during my 1st job (minus all the benefits).

In contrast to the Corporate company, it offers a lot of benefits like shuttle services, hmo, 1.25 leaves per month, meal/rice allowances, dental/optical reimbursements. The workplace is even better than the game company. It also follows a flexible schedule and the hours are constant any day of the week.

Now my question is which one would I take since I really want to pursue a career in game development. I know I will learn a lot from the game company and there is an opportunity of getting absorbed by the company. They also provide training to their game programmers. But if I accept the corporate job, I will have a much more convenient life and has a lot of benefits that I can make use of. I won't leave game development exactly when I choose the corporate company because I will still create games on the side as a freelance game programmer.

Now the thing is will my employment to a corporate company (but freelancing games) is a lesser step in my career of being a game programmer than being in a game company that probably won't gave me the opportunity to do freelance work. What will make a good impression to future employers?

I NEED HELP please!
jeijei13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1827

Quote:
1. First of all I am a Game Developer who quit his 1st job (7 mos) a few months back.
2. I have 2 job offers. 1 from a game development company and another from a company that does finance/accounting applications... which one would I take
3. will my employment to a corporate company (but freelancing games) is a lesser step in my career of being a game programmer than being in a game company that probably won't gave me the opportunity to do freelance work.
4. What will make a good impression to future employers?
1. Geez, why on earth did you do that? Everybody is going to ask you. I hope you have a damned good reason.
2. You think there are only two choices, but there are three. You should make a decision grid. You listed a number of seemingly confusing facts and figures -- criteria for making your decision -- now all you have to do is organize and prioritize them. And maybe there are other criteria too. How to make a decision grid: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm
3. That's a question? Nobody can foretell different futures for you. This unknown can factor into your decision grid, but since it's an unknown, you just have to guess based on your own good sense.
4. "Appearances" should be a low-priority factor in your decision-making process. Make your decision based on your higher-priority criteria.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

No contest for me, I personally take the corporate job.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
kbaxter

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss90

This sounds like a very personal decision that you'll have to make for yourself. I'm not comfortable answering a poll about it.
kbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
jeijei13

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
No contest for me, I personally take the corporate job.
But is it a good option if I want to pursue a career in game development?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
jeijei13

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaxter View Post
This sounds like a very personal decision that you'll have to make for yourself. I'm not comfortable answering a poll about it.
I'm sorry I have included the poll by mistake and I can't continue without including it. What do you think? Will a freelance career with a lot of portfolios be better than having experience in a game development company?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:22 AM   #7
jeijei13

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
1. Geez, why on earth did you do that? Everybody is going to ask you. I hope you have a damned good reason.
2. You think there are only two choices, but there are three. You should make a decision grid. You listed a number of seemingly confusing facts and figures -- criteria for making your decision -- now all you have to do is organize and prioritize them. And maybe there are other criteria too. How to make a decision grid: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm
3. That's a question? Nobody can foretell different futures for you. This unknown can factor into your decision grid, but since it's an unknown, you just have to guess based on your own good sense.
4. "Appearances" should be a low-priority factor in your decision-making process. Make your decision based on your higher-priority criteria.
Thanks for the help! I will look into this.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeijei13 View Post
But is it a good option if I want to pursue a career in game development?
Not the best but programmers have gone in and out of the industry like this. You are getting programming experience in the field either way. Do you want to write games or do you want to write software? Do the benefits of the corporate job outweigh not working in games now?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
jeijei13

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Not the best but programmers have gone in and out of the industry like this. You are getting programming experience in the field either way. Do you want to write games or do you want to write software? Do the benefits of the corporate job outweigh not working in games now?
Yes Sir, I think so. Definitely, by a landslide. I really want to write games, but the corporate position is still in C++ so it will still be very beneficial. I guess as long as I keep making games it won't hurt me right?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #10
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2256

For any programming position, they want to know how well you can program, not how well you make games. Making games in your own time certainly helps but no means essential.