Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Shez

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss7
Default Becoming a Narrative Designer

Hey all.

I'm brand new to the forums so please excuse me if this topic has been discussed ad nauseam.

I've been out of college for a year (where I received a minor in creative writing) now and have worked a full time job as an educator for a non-profit since. However, I've recently decided that I need to move on from my job and the prospect of being a narrative designer (or game writer) has really interested me. However, I know that breaking into any aspect of game creation can be extremely difficult.

So instead of blindly stumbling around, hopeful for a chance to fall into my lap I wanted to ask you all about where I should go from here.

* Are there any books that would be a good resource for someone in my position?
* Are there things I could be doing to make myself hire-able?
* What does the industry look for in a narrative designer/writer?
* Where to start?

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions, tips or ideas that you may have.
Shez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Lierkar

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Hello Shez. I am out of college 4 month now, so my opinion bring no authority and is mainly based in a RPG genre perspective. With that said, here I go:

Books (haven't read all of them):
-Hero with a Thousand Faces, The. Campbell, Joseph
-The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers. Vogler, Christopher
-Wizardry and Wild Romance: A Study of Epic Fantasy. Moor****, Michael
-Characters and Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing). Card, Orson Scott

As me and everyone else, you need experience and something to put at your portfolio. So write stories, submit them at companies who accept submissions (like Wizard of the Coast or similar). Better still make game modifications or at least participate in a group as the writer. It will give you the right feeling how a story that take into account player choices goes. Familiarity with fantasy worlds (Middle Earth, Forgotten Realms e.t.c.) and mythology is a bonus also. And of course philosophy, psychology and classic literature is also useful.

What industry needs is talented, hard working fellows, how to get inside it is something I'm also pondering about.

So I would say you start by participating in a modding team, preferably for a game with complex writing trails (like Neverwinter Nights 2) and building a portfolio, a fat one preferably. Check also this link: http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson32.htm

I'm also looking to enter gaming industry, in the designer field, and as every beginning, this one has it's difficulties. If we really want it, sooner or later it will happen.

Good luck to you.
Lierkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default Game writers on how they broke into the industry

I'm going to second the advice that any one who wants to be a game writer try to participate on a game-making team as a writer.

Next week, GameCareerGuide.com will have a new feature article, an interview with two video game writers about their jobs and how they broke into the industry.