Old 09-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
DanielBennifer

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default Looking for some advice...

Hi,
I am looking for some advice, I have been working on random Game Development Projects and Modifications etc for a few years now. I have been using computers for many years, I have always loved games and enjoyed learning as much as i can.

I recently finished high-school, Im now 16 and looking on what to move on to next, The Game industry is the main thing i want to get in to.

There are not Colleges or such that do such courses around my area. I have looked in to a few Online-Courses (Game art Certificate Program) etc, Almost all of these online courses seem to require you to be over 18 years of age? Why is this? Are you supposed to stay out of learning etc for 2years?

Can anyone recommend what i should possibly look towards next? An online course or such i would be more than interested in...

I have experience in the following,
Web Development, PHP + HTML ,1+Years
Texturing Experience ,1+Years
Modeling Experience ,1Year
Animation Experience ,1Year
Programming Experience (Baisc C++ and C#) ,1+Years

I have used the following Programs and Software,
3ds Studio Max 7-9
Photoshop CS2-CS3
Macromedia Dreamweaver 8
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Microsoft XNA
Torque Game Engine
Torque Game Engine Advanced
+More...

Any Advice you guys can give me would be more than appreciated!
Thank you,
Daniel
DanielBennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
tleblanc

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Hm, well, you do need more experience. Most companies require you to have 3+ years of experience in some of the areas of your interests. Most also require you to have a college degree and some previous works.

For programming, you could try the Game Institute (http://www.gameinstitute.com). I'm not exactly sure where you could take online courses for animation or modeling.

Also, since you're looking to get into the gaming industry, I suggest you work on some more independent projects, as this will help out our resume. Whenever you work on a project, you should add that to your resume, as it will help you in the future.

I'm a 16-year-old high school student and I've been looking to break into the industry as a QA Game Tester. I've been interested in programming and graphic design.

A good place to find teams that are working on projects and modifications is GameDev (http://www.gamedev.net). A good place for independent developers would be the IGDA (Independent Game Developers Association; http://www.igda.org)

I hope this helps, Daniel.
tleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

I also recommend getting a degree, as it is helpful in any aspect of your career. However, it is not wholly necessary to land a job in the industry. Most companies have and "either/or" statement, like a "bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent experience." Some people are extremely knowledgeable without ever having to set foot on a campus, and they can teach themselves everything they need. If you are that kind of person, start now, learn everything you can and apply it to personal game/mod/design projects that can go into your portfolio. Otherwise, a college degree is always a useful alternative.

Also, one way to get some real world experience is to try and get internships wherever you can. There is a listing of local game development companies if you search for your area on http://www.gamedevmap.com

-Jon
fullmetal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Quote:
Originally Posted by tleblanc View Post
A good place for independent developers would be the IGDA (Independent Game Developers Association; http://www.igda.org)
Um i think you mean the International Game Developers Association.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #5
DanielBennifer

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Thanks guys,
I have looked in to Game Institute, There courses look/sound good... But does anyone know if they are Actually good and worth the price?

I will start to look in to others, I am already / have already helped out with a few Independent Projects and Modifications.. I will continue to and hopefully help complete a few..

Ill continue to look around the online courses

Thanks!,
Daniel
Old 10-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
tleblanc

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

I've wanted to take one of their courses for a long time now, but my dad has not wanted to pay for them. However, I do believe that it could help a lot.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
DanielBennifer

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

I may aswell ask here, If i "Enroll" at www.gameinstitute.com and complete the course/courses. Is a Degree or such given at the end if you pass the course?

Or, Is it used to get in to a College?

Can someone help me to understand this?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
tleblanc

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

The courses at the Game Institute do not give you any sort of degree. However, it does count as college credit for a Computer Science degree to any college that allows credit transfer.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
ajennings

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

I go to Cogswell Polytechnical College in Sunnyvale CA. It rocks socks pretty hard. I have enjoyed all my time here and feel pretty prepared to get into the field with the contacts I have made. Here is a post I made a few days ago summarizing the school. I am a Student Ambassador so if you want to come check it out (checking schools out firsthand and talking to real students is the best way to judge a college) I will give you a tour of the facilities.
ajennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
sinofhearts

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

Well, I too have just graduated high school. I don't know where to go, but I'm planning to get my general ed done and maybe get an associates in art before actually aiming for a video game college or industry for something to fall back on.
sinofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote