Get the latest Education e-news

Old 10-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
LegendBound

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default No Idea where to start

Hello everyone, my name is Andy Collinsworth and I have been deeply passionate about pursuing a career in game design, art and animation since I was about 5 years old. The problem I face however is that I am currently living and going to school in El Paso Texas, a horrible little city that supports no schools or even classes in any such field. I am currently In my freshman year of community college taking core credits aiming for an Associates in Technical sciences. Since there are no classes in any field of technical art I do plan to transfer to another university out of state. I have no idea which school I should attend since I cannot find a definite recommendation for a school. On top of that I am also seeking internships and possible job opportunities. I am pretty familiar with Dark basic and Animation Master, but have yet to create any demos or works for a portfolio. what would you recommend?
LegendBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
tleblanc

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

Hm, for schools, you may want to check out Full Sail: Real World Education (http://www.fullsail.com). Full Sail is a very good school for those interested in any form of media. Also, their located in Orlando, Florida. I'm not sure of any game development companies that are located in Orlando, but I do know that EA has a division in Orlando. I have emailed Certain Affinity recently about possible internships. If you are not aware, Certain Affinity is a branched off company of Bungie Studios that was founded by one of the former members of the Halo 2 team. Their first project was the Halo 2 Blastacular Map Pack for Xbox. They are based in Austin, Texas, and I am still awaiting a reply from them. I sent the email last night, so I'm not expecting a quick reply.

Head over to GameDev (http://www.gamedev.net) and venture into the forums where you'll see a "Help Wanted" section with independent developers who are looking for help in all sorts of areas. This would be a good start and could help you build a resume.
tleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
LegendBound

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

thank you I really appreciate the help!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
LegendBound

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

by the way in terms of self learning what would you recommend I look at in terms o books and Software? So far I have Dark Basic and Animation Master
Old 10-03-2007, 05:09 AM   #5
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421

Have you thought about staying in state and just swinging over to Austin? There's a huge game industry there, and you can go to an in-state school that way.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:16 AM   #6
LegendBound

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4

Yes I am considering all possible paths. The problem is that everything is just so overwhelming when it comes to choosing the one that works best. Thus far I havnt heard too many suggestions as to which school I should look at rather than which ones I avoid (this statement excludes this thread) theres just such a large variety of methods and places I can try to go to that its like trying to pick out the perfect grain of sand in the Saraha
Old 10-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #7
tleblanc

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

I don't plan to do any in-state things because Oklahoma only has 2015, which is completely inactive. They're the only game development company in Oklahoma, so I don't want to start there when the last thing they did was Men of Valor for Xbox.
tleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #8
jillduffy
Administrator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss421
Default on the big scary shool decision

*School* -- Typo in my subject line!

I just wanted to mention something about choosing a school.

There is never going to be a perfect decision. Not in choosing a school, a major in school, a career... Even those of us who are dead certain about our careers (I've been in writing and editing for more than 8 years now, and there was never a doubt in my mind that I wanted to write) still have the occassional doubt about our career, for example:
"What's the best career move to make now?"
"Should I just leave this whole web publishing thing and go back to traditional print journalism? But won't that set me back about five years?"
"Maybe I want to learn more about nutrition and stay in publishing but try to work for one of those health and lifestyle magazines I love."

Also from personal experience, there's nothing wrong with transferring schools. I went to a school that was just flat out wrong for me and left after two terms. I transferred to a state school that I didn't adore, but was certainly good enough, and made the most of my educational experiences there. It was a large school, so it had, for example, a really strong student newspaper -- and I didn't even know going in that I would join the newspaper. It was just something that I stumbled upon. But after graduating it became the only relevant work experience I had that helped me get into the world of publishing.

Of course you're going to be hesitant about where you go to school, but I think the most important things in deciding are:
1. finding a geographic location where you're comfortable (Are you OK being in the deep south? OK to live in the sticks? Desperate to stay in a city?)
2. making sure the school has at least the general subject you want to study (arts, graphic arts, computer science, etc.)
3. money.

The other factors usually end up being pretty minor. And again, it's not the end of the world to try somewhere and transfer somewhere else if you don't like it.

Plus, so much of your career-specific education can come AFTER you get an undergraduate degree. You can take classes your whole life if you want! Your undergraduate time is when you can explore, interact, and just learn by trial-and-error. Make the most of that.

Hope those words put some of you at ease. I know it's stressful, but try not to make it any more stressful than it already is!