Get the latest Education e-news

Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
onaled515

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9
Default newbie question

Is it frowned upon to look up individuals in the department you are trying to get into and ask if they would mind critiquing your portfolio? for example if i wanted to obtain a career as a concept artist and in the credits of my favorite game I see the names of concept artists for that company, is it ok to try and look them up and email them through their company website for a possible portfolio critique?
onaled515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1849

No, it's not frowned upon (generally). But whether or not an individual will want to honor such a request? No way to tell.

How would this critique occur (what is it you're envisioning)? And what kind of feedback do you want? What level of detail?

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
onaled515

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

I was thinking by email from linkedin. I regularly look for individuals on linkedin that are in the industry from my favorite companies. I am hoping to get a positive critique(meaning honest, letting me know which designs are good and why and which are not good and how to improve). I have posted a critique on here before and had a few positive critiques, but there are still some other questions i need answered. Im tryind to get as much info and advice as i can before the feb GDC.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
4/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1849

If someone does agree to give you a critique, make sure that your request is very specific (as you did in your parenthetical above).
And what is your GDC plan? Anything like these?
http://www.igda.org/games-game-february-2007
http://www.igda.org/games-game-march-2006
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson54.htm
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson46.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
onaled515

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss9

I have been to GDC in san francisco twice and austin once. I know i wasnt full prepared the first time i went portfolio wise nor networking wise. Since then I realized what specific position I am aiming for, networked and made a few contacts, worked with a local indie iphone gaming company, and taken some more classes at school. I know i am more prepared this time and have much more confidence in myself. its just that I live in memphis,tn and dont want to come back home with the same info i have gotten in the past. I am aspiring to become a UI/GUI/Front end designer and I have a graphic design degree. I have been told to learn 3d and I also took a class on flash. I can and always will have to get better at my craft, but isnt there a point where companies see your potential and give you a chance but just not on AAA titles, maybe some mobile games or digital games. kind of like professional sports, they will draft you but put you in a developmental league to get better, but you are still part of the team?