Get the latest Education e-news
 
Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Subvert
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default Just an intro

New to the forums. Found this site a few days ago, and I'm grateful to see a site dedicated to helping people, like me, who are passionate about the game industry. And glad to see it has, what seems like, an active community. Hopefully you'll see more of me around.

As for me, I'm an artist and an aspiring computer-geek who has been drawing, etc. since I've been able to pick up a crayon, and banging around on computers since I could reach the desk. I'm 99% sure that I want to get into this industry (the other 1% is what I want to do when I get there). I'm undecided if I want to be an artist, or maybe a programmer. At this point, any part of game development appeals to me.

Like I said, I've been an artist all my life, and I'm a mostly self-taught with art programs on the computer. I took a couple programming classes in high school (basic, C++, and just touched on Java), and a Python programming class at college.

Right now, I'm doing Graphic Design at a community college here in Kansas City, and I'm trying to figure out where I want to go afterward (possibly Chicago Art Institute? I don't know).

Anyway, if you're still reading , I'm going to try to be around here and learn a thing or two.

Thanks
Subvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
ryan.george
Senior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss130
Default

Welcome!

Your story sounds eerily similar to mine :P

I started in Missouri, took Graphic Design courses, got hired to do a bit of cartoon art, and then transfered up to Chicago to study game developement!

If you're looking to come up to Chicago for game design schools (specifically game art schools) I could give you my opinionated opinions about the Chicago schools.
__________________
Make friends. Make games. Make money.

ryan.george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Subvert
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default

Haha, that's awesome. Any opinions are definitely appreciated. Chicago isn't my end-all-be-all, but I've always been fascinated with it (never been there, though), so that's why I've been thinking of the art institute.
Subvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
LMP
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss17
Default

Well, if you like art and programming why not consider going for Technical Artist?
__________________
Leif M. Peterson - Lighting Artist, Gameloft MTL.
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #5
Subvert
Junior Member

Activity Longevity
0/20 10/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss4
Default

What does Technical Artist entail? And I appreciate the suggestion.
Subvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1884
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Default

A technical artist is just someone who's got artistic skills and also deeply understands the technology behind the 3D tools, and who's capable of programming art tools, or modifying them.
__________________
Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done. www.sloperama.com

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:40 AM.






UBM Tech