Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Other > Other/Off-Topic
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #11
Winning Guy

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss22

Starcraft - That game is so well made that it's still really fun to play today.

Halo 3 - I'm a Halo junkie. I enjoyed the adventures of Master Chief and I like playing it online, even though I'm not very good.

Archon - One of my favorite games on the Commodore 64. I had some awesome times playing that.

Mail Order Monsters - Similar battle mechanism as Archon, but you could customize your characters. What's not to like?

Street Fighter II - I could elaborate. Or I could just kick your butt. Sonic Boom!
Winning Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #12
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
Street Fighter II - I could elaborate. Or I could just kick your butt. Sonic Boom!
That better not be the Turbo edition > : (
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:58 AM   #13
tamaster92

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

1. Portal- amazing game and really initive
2. Gears of war- just the grpahics, and the gameplay are amazing, although the story could be better and the weak end
3. Bioshock- i LOVE this game the art style is just really really good and it works so perfectly.
4. MGS3- this game has the best most immersive story i h-+ave ever played and while it may not be for everyone (very weird) it is great.
5. Bunrout 3- while this is not the best game in the sereis (that is paradise)
it is the fastest and most arcadey

too many toehrs tbh but those ones rule (Y)
tamaster92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #14
Crastin

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss35
Default 5 favorite games

I love how many people listed a Zelda game. I also focused on games I love to play rather than my technical and/or design oriented favorites because the differences are paramount. So, in no particular order....

1. Zelda: A link to the Past (Most any Zelda game for that matter)

2. Metroid Prime

3. Starcraft

4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

5. Bioshock
Old 05-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #15
Claxon

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss345

Some classic games for me:

1) Imperium Galactica - I can't put into words how much fun I had with this game back in the day. The in-game videos were great, the RTS element & a neat little storyline to keep me occupied (I like my games to have some form of narrative). And it had lots of "Little things". You know from the saying "It's the little things that make up life." Like the concept that you control the game from on board a spaceship, and have the ability to wander around and stare out of the window for a bit. Doesn't do anything practical, but it's a nice touch.

2) Tie Fighter (CD Edition) - What can I say? This game was epic! You get to fly with Darth Vader, and can get your arm branded by the emperor himself! Don't speak... just enjoy it.

3) Tachyon: The Fringe - Another space combat sim. I particularly like this because of the storytelling. It's got a branching storyline. You are blamed for destroying a space station & exiled from civilised space, shortly into the game you can choose to fly with the slow, rusty looking ships of some colonists defending their home... Fighting the good fight, as it were. Alternatively you can sell out to the corporation trying to clear the colonists out, so you can get to the noble task of making money. You ships are better, and look nice and shiney, but you feel cold and heartless. This game probably has the best voice acting of any of the games I own. The characters really do pull you in. They even make you feel guilty when you start typing in cheat codes, by calling you pathetic etc!

4) Rainbox Six 3: Ravenshield - My favorite FPS of.... ever! It manages to resist the urge to follow counterstrike. So there is no jumping, pulling out a smaller weapon doesn't suddenly negate the weight of your big machine gun, and the choice of weapons is immense (I think it was around 46 guns in total, each with different attachments, then different types of grenades & explosives). I particularly liked playing this when someone left the multiplayer server on the default settings. 4 minute cooperative match (upto 8 humans, vs 40 AI terrorists) Hostage rescue, with the map only progressing upon completion. Some maps wouldn't change for days. It's difficult enough just to rescue the hostages at all on high settings, but in 4 minutes your group of random players who've never met before, have to function like a well oiled guillotine. You get such a sense of accomplishment from winning.

5) (hmm..... what to chose for my last one?) Drakan: Order of the flame - Ok you may or may not have heard of this one. Think Tomb Raider, with swords, axes, goblins, giants and most importantly... Dragons. 3rd person perspective game where you round around an open landscape killing various creepy monsters, eventually you find a Dragon, and he helps you throughout the rest of the game. You can climb on the dragon & control it, or dismount and kill everyone on foot. Not great voice acting, & the graphics didn't age very well, but this game is the GOD of "Little things". As an example... every creature & object in the game has it's own scale setting, so if you have a group of 4 goblins, they will all be the same model, but slightly different sizes. The way the Dragon's animations change during flight is good too. If flying level or upwards results in flapping, but if you descend, he glides. He will also move his head to look at you when you've dismounted and are near by. The level designs are very well thought out too. They give the impression of freedom, but you always find yourself winding up where the designers want you to. Finally my Favorite little thing, involves limbs... When you hit something with your sword or axe, if you hit it right, you can sever an arm or a hand, which then.... (wait for it) bleeds! And I don't mean, a red texture around it, the blood actually sprays out, in the direction their arm is points whilst they flail it around landing up walls and on the ceiling. Nothing quite beats some good looking arterial bleeding.

ps. I would have done the likes of Dune 2, Elite 3 and the Wing Commander series, but I though a spread of genres is better.

Last edited by Claxon : 05-07-2008 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Making it look pretty
Claxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 AM   #16
TG1
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss271

5 of my favorite games:

1. ICO - this game was so original in its concept and so much fun playing. in addition it had the most amazing graphics I saw in a PS2 game, I sometimes just stood on a bridge and looked at the view.

2. Gabriel Knight series - in my opinion one of the best games from the quests era, they had a good and solid plot, and some of them had Tim Curry - who could ask for more

3. 7th guest - This was the first game I played when I got my very first CD-ROM drive, the graphics were amazing for its time, the atmosphere was dark and the puzzles were a lot of fun and this is just pure nostalgia for me.

4. Silent Hill - The reason I love this series (though I didn't get to play all of it yet) is mostly becuase of the way they used the static sound coming from the radio to warn you about monsters approaching - its an ingenious way to use the sound in the game to realy put preasure and intimidate the player (your radio starts emiiting a strong static sound while you're in the middle of a foggy street, you search around frantically for the monster - EEK!)

5. God Of War 1 - amazing story combined with amazing graphics
TG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #17
TimEdwards

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss183

Five Faves? Let's do this! (No Particular Order)

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Easily the most jaw dropping and heart thumping game of it's time for me. Right off the bat, you're crammed in a tiny tin box and sailing away, explosions to the left and right, gunfire to the front... I was so freaked out I jumped off a dead guy and over the side.

Final Fantasy 6 - I loved the story, the characters, the reality of exploration, the score, the art, the systems. I also actually hated Kefka.

River City Ransom - It's my joy to say this is the best beat em up ever created. If you haven't played it, do it, somehow (Preferably legal, and I play this every sunday on my Wii if you want to come over)

Super Mario Bros 2 - In what everyone called a crazy copy of some other game (Doki Doki Panic I think) is one of my favorite Mario's mostly because of the neat art, warps, and most of all, Boss battles.

Dungeons And Dragons (Tabletop) - This is a game, just not really a video game. I enjoy imagination and whether I was Dungeon Master or Player, this was the ORIGINAL social experience and generated millions of quotable memories. Nothing has really topped this to date.

Feel free to grill me on any of those choices!
Tim Edwards
TimEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #18
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimEdwards View Post
Five Faves? Let's do this! (No Particular Order)
Dungeons And Dragons (Tabletop) - This is a game, just not really a video game. I enjoy imagination and whether I was Dungeon Master or Player, this was the ORIGINAL social experience and generated millions of quotable memories. Nothing has really topped this to date.
Dungeons And Dragons isn't a Tabletop, it's a Paper-and-Pen. Tabletop is another name for miniatures games, like Warhammer :P
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #19
EvilLlama

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss282

1) Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. Great artwork, characters, interesting plot, fun game play found in all the series. PoR has the best of all I've played so far

2) Zelda Twilight Princess. I hated Windwaker, but I'm glad I have the series a second shot. Did everything right that Windwaker did wrong, the graphics and worlds are stunning, and Linky is so adorabibble as a wolf

3) Civilization III--Who doesn't want to conquer the world?

4) Pokemon Red--I love pokemon, what can I say? The newer pokemon games just don't seem to compare though, and they don't have the MissingNo# cheat either.

5) Egyptian Ratscrew--ok so it's a simple card game. But I get VERY violent when I play it. I'm surprised that videogames have gotten blamed for encouraging violence but this hasn't. I've bodyslammed, scratched, slapped, roared at etc people who've tried to slap that sandwich before me, I'm not going to lie.
EvilLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #20
CKeene

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss80

My five favorite games in terms of quality of characters, dialogue, and story:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Great story, great twist. Romance subplots left something to be desired, but they were far better than Baldur's Gate, for example.
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits Whenever I mention this game, people look at me funny. Nobody knows about this game and the developer who localized it isn't even in operation anymore, as far as I can tell. But I love this game. The plot is a bit cliche but it's done in a novel way. It's also one of the best games I've seen at making even insignificant NPCs have personality and importance.
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus It's fairly amusing to me that next to RPGs, platformers have some of the best characters/stories. Though the story is fairly simple, the characterization (dialogue, especially) makes it charming, humorous, and intelligent.
Planescape: Torment There are all-too-many games now that use the 'mysterious stranger' character, but Torment did it very well, I thought. And it was a very gritty game, just as Planescape should be. Plus with nearly 1million words of dialogue it was one of the most 'verbose' games ever created.
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines I love White Wolf and especially World of Darkness, but I only just recently played through VtM:B. Great adaptation of the vampire's world. Wonderful characters with realistic, mature dialogue. And though I enjoyed the sub-quests more than the over-arcing storyline, I felt it did the franchise justice.

Last edited by CKeene : 05-10-2008 at 12:56 PM.
CKeene is offline   Reply With Quote