Old 02-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
panacuba

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13
Default Some questions about C++

Hello everyone

I wanted to ask a few question about C++ programming. First of all Im starting from 0 so I got the "Beginning Programming with C++ for Dummies" book (dont laugh ), I havent started reading it yet but sure i will.

Now, I want to know the most used C++ programming softs, or at least wich program should I get to start with.

Secondly, whats the required time to master or at least get an advance skill on c++ programming. I know this might vary depending on how many hours i dedicate to studying and how "smart" I am.

Also I would love if some one could point me into the right direction and provide me with a few usefull links and books to start with. Let me add english is not my first lang(im sure u all noticed that with all my typos) so the easier to better.

Thanks in advance.
panacuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
kbaxter

Activity Longevity
0/20 13/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss90

For software, I'd recommend Microsoft Visual Studio Express. You can download it for free. Visual Studio is the standard in professional C++ development, and the Express version has all the features you'll need when you're first learning.

It's hard to say how long it takes to "master" c++. C++ is HUGE, and there's a lot to learn. I don't think I know anyone who's "mastered" it. Once you're comfortable with classes and objects, inheritance, and pointers, it's worth reading "Effective C++" by Scott Meyers.
kbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
panacuba

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Thanx for the awnser.

To make a resume:
I should start with "C++ for dummies" and Visual Studio eXpress.
And...
Then I move to Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate and get Scott Meyers's Effective C++.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
1/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

The software doesn't matter as much. You can happily keep using the Express edition of Visual Studio as long as you don't need the features from the Ultimate one.

C++ is a complex language and can take years of experience to reach a high level and even then you are still learning.

Effective C++ is good. Thinking in C++ Vol 1 + 2, Code Complete, Effective STL, C++ for Games Programmers and Exceptional C++ are all good books as well.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
ndimucci

Activity Longevity
0/20 17/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss156

C++ is a bitch of a language. No one really ever masters it, they are just better than the year before (at least they hope to be). That said, don't neglect to read up not only on C++ books, but books on algorithms, data structures, design patterns, coding practices, etc. There are tons of titles, too many to list, so just use customer ratings on Amazon as a base point of which books to buy on these topics. One C++ book I highly recommend however is C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata. Great book for beginners, very thorough.

Most importantly, just be sure to actually spend the time to program. You can read hundreds of books, but the best way to learn is to actual sit in front of the computer and program something. Doesn't matter if you are trying to code an entire 3D game engine from scratch, or a simple GUI calculator app.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
panacuba

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

Thanks for all the replies sorry for the delay of my response, but have been really busy with university and personal proyects. I recently joined a microsoft program that allow me to use their software for free, its called dreamspark, ill get the tools i need from there and then ill start coding