Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
jose2090

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18
Exclamation videogame studies for people outside US (Latinos)

Hi everyone!

My name's Jose Striedinger, and I'm a Computer Science student in the University of Los Andes. Video game design, architectura and development is my dream, but well, I dont have family in the US nor a lot of money...

It's been two years since I begun searching for opportunities in US. I cant leave my career neither, so I guess Im looking for a masters degree in the future who knows.

Right now, Im studying Unity3D with some friends, but it's not enough. I guess the questions is: is there anyone who can give good advice about how to start studying about video game design for someone who can not go to videogame schools like Full Sail, Digipen etc??

Please...any advice!
(Sorry if my english isnt perfect...)
University of Los Andes
Bogota-Colombia

"You want something, go get it. Period"
Check out my personal web page/portafolio at http://gamenthusiast.co.cc
jose2090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1882

Get your CS degree. Then make games.

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:57 AM   #3
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose2090 View Post
is there anyone who can give good advice about how to start studying about video game design for someone who can not go to videogame schools like Full Sail, Digipen etc??
You are going to need to be a bit more specific here as a literally a ton of resources to from. Are you looking more at design? Programming? Modelling? Animation? A combination of everything?

Unity3D is really good and the company itself are making great strides in expansion so I don't understand what you mean by 'its not enough'.
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
panacuba

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

He says its not enough cuz here in latin america we dont have even a piece of videogame education or anything related to it, and he thinks he actually need a big knowledge base in a lot of differents programs.
Ill give you an adivice, first look what you wanna do in the future. Then after you have choosed, start learning from that specific topic.
In my case Im in first year at UTP(Universidad Tecnologica de Panama, Tech. University of Panama), and Im getting a degree in computer science, and studying c++ in my free time
panacuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
jose2090

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
You are going to need to be a bit more specific here as a literally a ton of resources to from. Are you looking more at design? Programming? Modelling? Animation? A combination of everything?

Unity3D is really good and the company itself are making great strides in expansion so I don't understand what you mean by 'its not enough'.
Thanks for the response Yaustar. Just what Panacuba said. Because Im studying Computer Science I'm familiar with Java (not so much with C thou..), so I'm learning Unity3D development with JavaScript with a book called "Unity Game Development Essentials", actually Im with 2 friends. Even thou we are getting the hang of it, I know programming is not enough. In my career I have learned things like software development processes (waterfall, TSP etc), software architecture and the structure a Software Architecture Document, design patterns and stuffs like that. What has been on my mind for quite sometime, is how this topics are studied in game development. After all, a game is nothing more than a software, a program.

I found online about a course in the Worcester Polytechnic Institute about game design. This guys talk about pre-production, post-production, design document, concept document etc, things I just didnt have a clu!. lol this post is getting long...anyway I guess the answer is: programming and game design.

To Panacuba (funny nickname xD): yeah! Im actually doing that. I'm also interested in software development in JEE platform and Information Technology. I have plans for this. I know I wont never find a job for "game programming" etc in Colombia lol xD. Thanks for your advice anyway!
University of Los Andes
Bogota-Colombia

Old 04-06-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

Quote:
What has been on my mind for quite sometime, is how this topics are studied in game development
Same way. From the software development point of view, there is very little different besides the actual software content itself.

Quote:
I know programming is not enough
What do you mean by that?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
jose2090

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
Same way. From the software development point of view, there is very little different besides the actual software content itself.

What do you mean by that?
What I'm saying is that programming is not enough for a good dev process. Like I said, 2 friends and me are studying Unity3D and I have a friend in Graphic Design who love the idea of game art and working with us....so I just want to know about game dev processes and game design, but I just dont know where to start xD
University of Los Andes
Bogota-Colombia

Old 04-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2270

There is no real formal process for game design (you get an idea, you build on it, iterate over it until it is the standard you want and document it along the way) and there is little different between the software development process of games and non-games.

To give you a starting point. Once you have part of a game idea, try making it and don't get fussed by the details. Just get it made and try it out.

Last edited by yaustar : 04-07-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
panacuba

Activity Longevity
0/20 12/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss13

in resume, what yaustar is traying to say its, that you need to focus a lil bit more on practice and not on theory(Im not saying that youstar said that theory is bad...lets make that clear), he is saying that try creating something first then learn from your own mistakes, that will help ya a lot
panacuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
jose2090

Activity Longevity
0/20 18/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss18

Yeah I know...if it's a small team that may be enough, but if the team's bigger it could be a problem to not have design methods and development procedures, or something like that. Anyway, do u guys know of a book about game design, I just feel curious about it xD

I just found out about courseptr.com, from Cengage Learning in case anyone wanna check out!
University of Los Andes
Bogota-Colombia