Get the latest Education e-news

Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Da Splatter Man

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5
Default Getting started

I've been a hardcore gamer since I was 12 (currently 16 in 10th grade) and chose maybe in 8th I want to make videogames. I really have no idea what kind of classes to take for it so I'm in a photoshop class and a 3D imaging class! I want to go to Full Sail when I graduate cause its actually pretty close to home. I know I need to start using software but our computer sucks and I don't have a job to get a new one? Wats the best laptop for this kinda stuff or do I need a big computer? And what's good software? I know Unity.
Da Splatter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Togera

Activity Longevity
0/20 8/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss2
Default Re: Getting started

I'm in the same position as you right now. I'm trying to teach myself Unity and basic scripting in it.

As for what kind of computer. It really doesn't matter if it is a laptop or a desktop. The only thing that is important is that you meet Unity's minimum system requirements. Which can be found here.
Togera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
honeybiscuit

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

well your doing the right things. By being in photoshop (formal class) and 3dmodeling your developing an eye for detail. I mean things that others take for granted. http://www.cgmasters.net/ is another site. Take the time to go to college (community) if you dont have time then you can buy courses. Sounds like your on the right track. As for computer and hardware that is a personal issue but as for graphics cards you want nvidia. I have used radoen and nvidia big difference in manipulating textures and meshes etc. Save what money you do get for the cpu you want. Take your time and learn about the specs of cpu from amd to intel (will make a diff) your young u have plenty of time.

Last edited by honeybiscuit : 10-02-2012 at 08:30 PM.
honeybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Da Splatter Man

Activity Longevity
0/20 6/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss5

Well thanks for all the advice guys. I'll look into that nvidia and stuff
Da Splatter Man is offline   Reply With Quote