Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Programming
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
TAUnderwood

Activity Longevity
0/20 11/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3
Default When is the best time to begin applying?

Hi Everyone,

I'm about to enter my last year for my undergrad degree (BS CS) and I am preparing to begin looking for post grad employment.

According to many of the advisors at my school the large companies start hiring in the Fall for positions that start in the summer. Does this hold true for the game industry? I am preparing my demos and resume but don't want to send them out to early.

Also on a related note for those who have worked in the software world before (not specifically the game industry) if you get an offer how long is understandable to give a response? I will be working at a online media firm this summer as an intern and they made it very clear that it could turn into a full time offer if I perform well. If they do make me an offer at the end of this summer is it acceptable to delay the response until I can apply to other companies? My concern is that since I will have worked there for 3 months they will take my delay as a sign that I did not enjoy the internship.

Thanks for any advise you can offer!
TAUnderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
tsloper
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
3/20 14/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss1870

TA wrote:
Quote:
1. According to many of the advisors at my school the large companies start hiring in the Fall for positions that start in the summer. Does this hold true for the game industry?
2. I am preparing my demos and resume but don't want to send them out to early.
3. ...in the software world... If they do make me an offer at the end of this summer is it acceptable to delay the response until I can apply to other companies?
4. My concern is that since I will have worked there for 3 months they will take my delay as a sign that I did not enjoy the internship.
1. Two big differences: (1) the game industry is a project-based industry, which means that a game company's personnel needs are constantly changing; (2) in the game industry, you need a strong portfolio, which means that when you graduate you might not be ready yet (you might not get hired if you don't have a strong portfolio).
2. I hope you're taking more English classes. The word is "too." The business world requires its people to appear well educated. (Not just the game industry -- that also applies to the software world.) You can't always rely on spell checkers. But to answer to the specific implied question: "too early" as regards the game industry would be "more than 3 months before you graduate."
3. No. You have 1 week to accept an offer. (There's no written rule on this, but after more than a week, it's assumed you don't want the job.)
4. Your concern assumes that you are unable to form the sentence "I greatly enjoyed the internship," and convey it, either verbally or in writing, to the good folks at that company. Personally, I would be very surprised if you were really not able to do that. [/Retroactive sarcasm alert] [Smileyface]

One of your options is to accept the job at that software company, and work on your portfolio in your spare time for a couple years. Not a bad option, actually. But you can make a decision grid to weigh all your options. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm

PLEASE do not use this website's PM feature to contact me.
tsloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Rybo5000

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloper View Post
One of your options is to accept the job at that software company, and work on your portfolio in your spare time for a couple years. Not a bad option, actually. But you can make a decision grid to weigh all your options. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm
I would say this is the best advice you're going to get, you can't be too picky with work when you've just graduated. A job anywhere is better than no job nowhere.