Go Back   Game Career Guide Forums > Game Career Guide > Getting Started
Forum Home Register Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
krazyxazn

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss1
Default Prerequisites for Computer Science?

Are there really any prerequisites for going into computer science degree?

Do they teach you everything you need to know when you take your first class or do they expect you to already know it?

I have no experience in programming, web design and was decent math student but not great. I went as far as Trig and Stats. Didn't take calculus or pre-calculus. It could have been my teachers but I didn't perform good on tests. I always got the questions in the textbook right but when it came to test, all the questions seemed harder and confusing.
krazyxazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:07 AM   #2
Adrir
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssss1464

I'm from the UK and I needed at least a B grade in A-Level Mathematics to get into Computer Science at my univeristy, although most courses on UCAS prefered A-Level Futher Mathematics.

There arn't other pre-requisities since they teach most things from the very basics, although it did get tiedious for me since I was already a good programmer when I started.

Last edited by Adrir : 05-20-2007 at 03:16 AM.
Adrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

I don't have a computer sciences degree but I am a programming focused graduate in game design and development. I would not say that you need calc to program. Trig for 3d calculations. I am the same way though. I do not perform well on tests.

As far as I see it, Tests are not an accurate way to demonstrate your knowledge on a subject. We are starting up a Game Studio Here in Toronto and programmers will be required to write a test but it will be completely open resource, just like it is in the industry. This way if you don't remember part you can always look it up and as long as you can complete it well in the required time, who cares if you did some research as well.

If you want to get into some more of the adaptive programming you should study discreet math. It has a lot of uses in AI and audio programming as well as many other areas. It's not required but it's only going to help. I did take Calc and sucked at it. I find discreet easy as pie though. It's just the way my brain works.

This is more to point you in the right direction for what to study before getting into the industry. Your college/university should hare pre-recs available for each course if you study them and if you are still in high school I'm sure your student aid should have all the post-secondary information you need.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #4
savagemonitor

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss3

Having just graduated with a BS in CS, I think that I can sum this one up for you in one word: nothing.

I went into computer science at Oregon State University with a passion for games and computers (originally I thought the degree would help me get a network admin job, until I realized I didn't want that job). Four years later I graduated with a 3.01 cumulative gpa and more knowledge about software that I could possibly hope to remember.

In your first two years you will not be expected to know anything about programming and the teachers will give you the fundamentals. After that your instructors will expect that you know the basics and will push just how fast you can learn. Expect many long nights trying to learn and accomplish a programming assignment.

As for your testing, most colleges should have facilities that can help you, since it just sounds like you have trouble taking tests. Don't worry though, in CS you're more likely to be graded on your projects than your tests, although testing well will still be important.
savagemonitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:47 AM   #5
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Just remember that computer sciences is not a mandatory thing for a programmer. Sure it's a step in the right direction but being self taught is great too. the computer sciences requirement is a new thing and basically it is just there to insure you can learn new things.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote