Old 10-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
iLLuSiVe

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6
Exclamation Help with starting out

hello,

i have been interested in game design since i started playing games...

im a junior in high school, and i was woundering if you guys could help me get started.

i was woundering what kind of books would help me out, and maybe let me create a game so i could kinda get a feel for it.

or internet websites or cds that i could buy or sign up on that would teach me how to creat a game, teach me the ins and outs of making games.. and possible make a game.

I am really interested in game design and i would really appreciate it if you guys could help me out!

thankyou

-Anthony
iLLuSiVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2272

Which area of game development are you interested in? Programmer, Artist, Sound Engineer or Designer?
yaustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
iLLuSiVe

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Designer

would u please help me out
Old 10-22-2007, 04:10 AM   #4
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2272

First, get into the habit of writing in full English, don't shorten 'you' to 'u' or 'I' to 'i'. It makes you look more serious about what you are doing rather then look like a kid.

Designer is not my forte so I am winging it a bit here. Use a GameCreation tool to make games, since you want to be a designer you don't have to focus too much on the programming side or art (although they are nice skills to have).

Articles related to Game Design can be found in many places, Gamasutra is my main source (sign up is free): http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/art...php?category=4

The only book I can recommend and read is: Fundamentals of Game Design.

The alternative is to start looking at modding existing games like Half Life and Unreal especially to build level design skills which will help great you into entry level positions at companies.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2272

First, get into the habit of writing in full English, don't shorten 'you' to 'u' or 'I' to 'i'. It makes you look more serious about what you are doing rather then look like a kid.

Designer is not my forte so I am winging it a bit here. Use a GameCreation tool to make games, since you want to be a designer you don't have to focus too much on the programming side or art (although they are nice skills to have).

Articles related to Game Design can be found in many places, Gamasutra is my main source (sign up is free): http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/art...php?category=4

The only book I can recommend and read is: Fundamentals of Game Design.

The alternative is to start looking at modding existing games like Half Life and Unreal especially to build level design skills which will help great you into entry level positions at companies.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
iLLuSiVe

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

anyone?

could u please help me out..
Old 10-22-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
Gshonk

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss831

Google is your friend. I'm not a jerk I just don't know what to say at this point when its not finals week. I might see if I can find stuff to recommend. But just playing around with level editors like Unreal Tournament stuff is always a good design exorcise.
Gshonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 AM   #8
yaustar
Administrator

Activity Longevity
2/20 19/20
Today Posts
1/11 sssss2272

I was waiting for my post to be validated but that doesn't look like it is going to happen soon. short version:

Look at game creation programs like GameMaker: [yoyogames.com/gamemaker/] or modding existing games like Half life and Unreal. This will allow you to get started on making games much quicker then learning to program. Your focus is on creating and designing games.

I would also build up skills in creating levels for the Unreal and Source engine games as there usually a few entry level Level Designer roles floating about to get your foot in the industry. Coming in as an entry level Game Designer is extremely rare.

Read some of the articles at Gamasutra (sign up is free) [gamasutra.com/php-bin/article_display.php?category=4] and I would also suggest reading Fundamentals of Game Design [designersnotebook.com/Books/Fundamentals_of_Game_Design/fundamentals_of_game_design.htm].
Old 10-23-2007, 04:01 AM   #9
iLLuSiVe

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gshonk View Post
Google is your friend. I'm not a jerk I just don't know what to say at this point when its not finals week. I might see if I can find stuff to recommend. But just playing around with level editors like Unreal Tournament stuff is always a good design exorcise.
thankyou, but where would i get the unreal stuff??
Old 10-23-2007, 04:02 AM   #10
iLLuSiVe

Activity Longevity
0/20 19/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssssss6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaustar View Post
I was waiting for my post to be validated but that doesn't look like it is going to happen soon. short version:

Look at game creation programs like GameMaker: [yoyogames.com/gamemaker/] or modding existing games like Half life and Unreal. This will allow you to get started on making games much quicker then learning to program. Your focus is on creating and designing games.

I would also build up skills in creating levels for the Unreal and Source engine games as there usually a few entry level Level Designer roles floating about to get your foot in the industry. Coming in as an entry level Game Designer is extremely rare.

Read some of the articles at Gamasutra (sign up is free) [gamasutra.com/php-bin/article_display.php?category=4] and I would also suggest reading Fundamentals of Game Design [designersnotebook.com/Books/Fundamentals_of_Game_Design/fundamentals_of_game_design.htm].
hey, thanks ALOT, i will check it all out..

but how do i get the Unreal and Source engine games?