Old 05-23-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123
Default look at those Polys 0.0

I would like to start a small discussion about what some of your favorite in game 3d graphics are. Everyone can love cut-scenes but you don't see them too much. (with the exception of some games like the xenosaga series )

So without any further a-due. What games host your favorite graphics and why. The goal of this thread is to have people thinking what makes a good model by looking at good models and seeing why they are good.

C, C++, C#, Objective-C, Java, PHP, SQL, Javascript, Actionscript, HTML, CSS
HagNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
iddqd

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss11

I would say Shadow of the Colossus on this one. Every model that was in that game goes under the category of epic imho. It had gave a real sense of art through its models and rendering effects.

Let's not forget about the 2D art, though, fellas! Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth had outstanding character art and animations. I also enjoy how Odin Sphere utilizes jointed animations to show some really crisp effects.
iddqd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Actually that is true. 2D games can look very good because they are based off os flat images and solid textures. As a result all you have to do is draw pictures and we know there are many people capable of photo-real images.

3D on the other hand is warping that photo-real image around polygons. This can be very dificult at times depending on the geometry.

Of the games I have seen comming up I think Assisins creeed By UBISOFT is one of the most impressive and look forward to playing it. The characters and animations look almost real thanks to realistics physics and automated animations. Also it is being presented in trailers as though it where a movie and it can be hard to tell that it is not at times.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

This topic was started with an error in thinking.

Wind Waker. I'm gonna say it's not so much the 'Polys 0.0'

Also, I have to agree with you on AC. Most of Ubisoft M's work has really good graphics, but they tend to use low-ploy models. How do they pull it off? Animation. PoP had a unprecedented number of animations (720) and still looks awsome. AC's main character has over 3,000 animations and is draw dropingly awsome.

Last edited by ronnoc10 : 05-28-2007 at 05:50 PM.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Don't take this as a attack on 2D games. I love them, but I just wanted to encourege discussion. Animation is key as well but with Ubisoft they use many different techniques to generate those animations. the new torque engine allows it to make a character put it's arm and lean against nearby objects. This automates the animations creation yet is counted to the animation count. Also when you rig a character you rig each part so that you can transfer animations to each part of the character independently.

And example of this would be a character in a run cycle. 1 animation
then keep that run cycle but change the left arm to a swing animation, 2 animations. Now keep that run and swing animation and make the right arm swing as well 3 animations. Now turn off the left arms swing and you have a 4th animation.

All these animations are combined to give a huge number but in reality there are only a few. There is still alot of animations but 3,000+ is getting your hopes up. It is 3,000 total not 3,000 independent animations. The process is simple but by merging a full body run cycle and a full body attack cycle you can generate 5 or 6 animations when you really only have 2.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
ronnoc10

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss350

Way to just roll over what I said.

Quote:
All these animations are combined to give a huge number but in reality there are only a few. There is still alot of animations but 3,000+ is getting your hopes up. It is 3,000 total not 3,000 independent animations. The process is simple but by merging a full body run cycle and a full body attack cycle you can generate 5 or 6 animations when you really only have 2.
And that looks good! However the number is reached, it looks good. The big numbers that Ubi racks up is not as you said anyways. Ubisoft has an incredible amount of transistonal animations. The prince transistions from a wall run to a attack and from a attack to walking, that's why the games look good, not the poly count.
ronnoc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
Thumper_34

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59

I would have to say the new game crysis, if you havent heard of it... check it out. I love the fact that almost everything is destructable. If you watch any of the trailers or gameplay sequences the water has wakes that are real, the trees move against the player!! Its the little things like that just blow my mind. It seems like only yesturday, trees were made out of alpha channels. Now they can create full 3d trees that have animations hehe. Sorry if I'm rambling a little. But imo for an old game I still love Earth Worm Gym's style of art, it was different and very "grungy"
Thumper_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #8
fullmetal84

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss54

I would have to say that Lair for the PS3 is looking oh so sweet. Those are some beautifully crafted creatures. When you see an up-close view of the dragons, you can tell that they are very high polygon count, which should be the case with a machine as powerful as the PS3. However, models can still look nasty if the textures aren't high quality either, and you can see that the textures, also, are of a high resolution.

Now, I've been talking primarily of the dragons...but from the images I have seen available at gamespot.com, their human counterparts are equally as high polygon count as the dragons, and they are looking sharp too. If I had a PS3, I'd be all over this game when it comes out. But, for now, I will have to drool from a distance.
fullmetal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
Thumper_34

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 sssssss59

My question is what are the most memorable games? The ones with great graphics or the ones with great gameplay?
Why is mario still alive and played in the gaming communitity?

I'd say its the gameplay, if you don't have that core key gameplay that is so much fun your game will not succeed.
Graphics are great though
Thumper_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
HagNasty
Super Moderator

Activity Longevity
0/20 20/20
Today Posts
0/11 ssssss123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_34 View Post
My question is what are the most memorable games? The ones with great graphics or the ones with great gameplay?
Why is mario still alive and played in the gaming communitity?

I'd say its the gameplay, if you don't have that core key gameplay that is so much fun your game will not succeed.
Graphics are great though
I agree completley. Me and 8 others are starting up a small company here in toronto and this is one of our focus ideas. Instead of making graphics, animation, audio or any of that the focus we stop every few weeks and say, "is this fun? what can we do to make it more fun?"

Because when it comes down to it, Mario is fun, Katamari os fun (oh for the love of god is it fun). These don't have great graphics or animations. There 100% fun factor. And that is how we are designing our games.